Argentina to host 2011 Copa America

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by MUTINYFAN, Jul 15, 2007.

1. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I was watching GOLTV News and they were discussing the future site of the next tournament in 2011. They stated that Chile was interested and so was the US and Mexico.

I hope that the Copa becomes a 4 year tournament and returns to the same year as the European Championship rather than getting massacred with the Gold Cup, Under-20 and Asian Cups.

Hopefully, CONMEBOL sees the potential in inviting 4 additional CONCACAF teams to make the tournament more competitive. I could see Canada, CR, Honduras and a Carribean country enriching the field.

What are your opinions?

2. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico
    Re: Copa America 2011

I couldn't see those teams there we already have our cup even if we don't give a shit about it, (which is the goldcup) Mexico should organize the CA cup I'm not saying the US couldn't as we all know they will be great hosts but Mexico has been playing it 7 times now and we've been asking for this tournament since day one so I'tll be cool if we could do it.

no offense to south american countries but we could make one even better without any problems easily in therms of budget, organization, stadiums, hospitality etc

3. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Damn I didn't know they was gonna they was gonna wait that long!! Usually it's no longer than 3 yrs til the next Copa!!

Plus due to rotation Argentina's supposed to get the next Copa whether it's 2011 and Brazil should be hosting the 2013 Copa, plus that will be right in line for us hosting the World Cup that next year!! :)

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

If the rotation cycle remains, then it's Argentina's turn.

Metro

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Mexico and US ... hell no !!! Unless Copa America becomes CONMEBOL + CONCACAF no non-CONMEBOL country should host it.

Argentina and then Brazil should host next.

6. HINCHADERIVER91

HINCHADERIVER91 New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES

im diggin that USA copa america idea though,

7. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

maybe cause the US will be a nice neutral ground, but still, not enough fans from each country here in the us, for now should be kept in S.A. where people can move from country to country to root for their team.

8. Mr. Beelzebub

Mr. Beelzebub Member

Jun 12, 2007
    West New York

The US showed that they don't give a flying fu ck about Copa America by sending that team. Copa America is a CONMEBOL tourney and should stay that way.

9. EdG567

EdG567 Member

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, they just showed that they care more about Gold Cup.

10. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando

I hate the Gold Cup and the fact it is every two years. And I can't stand Jack Warner!

11. warren taylor

warren taylor New Member

Jul 20, 2007

I think they should make the copa america a sixteen team tournament because it would make it a more exciting tournament but i also think if any teams should be invited from the concacaf it should be guyana and surinam for the simple fact that they are actually south american countries. Yes they may not be strong football nations like canada or honduras but they should have first priority of having a choice of entering the competion.
    Also i think concacaf gold cup should be made a sixteen team tournament because it has enough nations to do so.

12. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico

who the hell is jack warner lol? are we mexicans the only people in north america that wan't to stay away from the name "CONCACAF" and the teams from the area as much possible? LOL

13. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really really Hope the next Copa America is in Chile 2011, because I would love to fly down there. Im still waiting for the day they create a a chmapionship for the Americas as a whole. Anyways Im shooting that its Chile, by the way when do they make an announcement concerning who host next?

14. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, geographically speaking, Surinam & Guyana are both part of "South America." Surinam & Guyana, However, are former colonies of the Dutch & British. The two countries are more connected with the Caribbean than they are with South America. As far as I can tell, Surinam & Guyana have never qalified as part of South America.

15. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA

No way is Chile ready for Copa America. Chile has really bad stadiums and most dont have the capacity. They would not make the 2011 deadline.

16. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
  17. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

There were funds already assigned to the possible new stadiums and the remodeling of existing ones in case the Copa America went to Chile. There wouldn't have been any problems.

Since it was already decided that the next one would be played in Argentina, it doesn't matter anymore.

18. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe Ecuador could easily be a host country... it has stadiums, world class hotels in every city, hospitality, and it's a safe country.

Guayaquil has the Monumental (93,000 capacity) which is the second largest in SA after the Maracana in Brazil, and its modern and breath taking.
    MONUMENTAL pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quito has Casa Blanca Stadium which is also beautiful and modern and the city also has the Estadio Olimpico Atahualpa, which is always used for WCQ's which means it's always in top condition.
    CASA BLANCA:
    [​IMG]

There is also Estadio JOse Serrano in Cuenca and Estadio Capwell in GUayaquil which was like the others, also a stadium used when Ecuador hosted Copa America in 1993. They are all in top condition.

The only one which I think would need renovations would be the Estadio Modelo de Guayaquil Alberto Spencer because it hasn't been used for official matches in a few years and used mostly as a multi sports center, but it has a 50,000 capacity making it one of the biggest in SA.

19. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Personally I think that Copa America should return to its original format. Rotating between SOUTH AMERICAN countries and played every 2 years. The only place I feel that it could be play out of rotation would be the US. Stadiums, fans and accomodations already exist. All matches would have a healthy amount of away and home fans and the atmosphere would be AMAZING. It's pretty much neutral ground.

Open Invitations:
    11. Mexico (or else they will whine on and on)
    12. USA (if they pull that same nonsense as 2007 I suggest they get cut)
    13. Spain (obvious)
    14. Portugal (obvious)
    15. & 16. England, Italy, Germany (heavy influence of these people all throughout SA)

Granted that this is my best case scenario. I don't think that FIFA would be too happy about this and would probably do its best to block it. Another consideration would be scheduling.

This is of course my choice lineup for the Copa America that would be played in USA.

Ok guys now you can tear it up. Please be gentle and no cursing.

20. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

You must be smoking something really good to think of things like this...

I want some of whatever you are on!:)

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Sure lol no problem but you would have to come to NYC. lol

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Copa America is still on rotation among South American countries and this is exactly why Argentina is getting it, so there'so problem with your proposition. However, I think that having it every two years devalues the tournament. Every 4 years is good enough.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm happy Argentina is going to be getting it, means I'll be there to see it live. However the tournament has a history of being played every 2 years and not 4. I would prefer to follow the tradition of the world's oldest international soccer tourament.

24. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Well Conmebol spreads its legs to everyone that pays so if England or Spain hosted it one day I wouldn't be suprised. :rolleyes:

25. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

It's already devaluated thanks to Conmebol.