Argentina squad of 23 for the World Cup

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Aguero

King Aguero New Member

May 22, 2008
    Ive been on this board since 2004! I had a couple of different nicknames and didnt join much but most of the time read your posts without participating.

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think there has been enough bitching and moaning. I was guilty of it but I got over it because I am ready for the WC. For those who say we are not going to get out of the first round, or has ANYTHING negative to say, I just have to say DON'T WATCH! We do not need negativity for our boys.

Am I anger over a few players not being called up? yes I was, am I going to root less for my team because certain players I believed that are not there? NO! I am going to root EQUALLY as hard. What angers me more is those who do not have faith in the team, grow some a pair and man the _ _ _ _ up!

I still believe we are going to do exceptional because we still have a great group of players. So start being a bit more positive because just look down and see these colors and what they mean, always be positive!

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. lapulga10

lapulga10 New Member

Mar 20, 2010

wouldn't mind one of those at all!

4. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Bro, everyone on here was furious that Zanetti was not on the '06 team, particularly due to the well known reason behind the exclusion - that pu55y Sorin did not like him and had the pelotas of Pekerman palced in his warm mouth. Sorin kept out Zanetti.

Seriously, you should be ashamed of yourself to state the COMPLETELY unfounded comment that Cambiasso has a bad attitude. Name me ONE source that isn't Maradona or his camp whom have ever claimed he is a difficult or unruly presence anywhere he's ever been.

Quite defending Maradona so much at the expense of proven battle tested "bleeding for the shirt" players like Cambiasso. You come off like a blind cronie.

5. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    No offense. People were just as ticked at the Pupi exclusion then as they are now, although now there is more sentiment sincde he is a gracefully aging warrior who has surely seen his last opportunity to win the WC pass him by.

What were some of your other names before you got banned, Killa? :D

6. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Amen, brother. That was like the Patton speech :p

I was one of those who was bummed out over Zanetti. But I think most of us Argentines will support our NT no matter what.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Fake Fantastic 4

[​IMG]

The Real Fantastic 4
    [​IMG]

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks!Nothing good comes from negativity and it gets us nowhere. We will all miss Pupi, I wish the best and hope he can win the Champions League.

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well said mate, in the unlikely event that I ever met you I would definately buy you a drink for that post.

10. lapulga10

lapulga10 New Member

Mar 20, 2010

Claro que si, Diego stated today in an interview that Veron was the "Xavi" of his team, those are some bold words for Veron there's a lot of pressure on the guy. If he does fail though, I will have faith in Pastore to replace him the kid's got loads of confidence even against good teams like Inter i saw him didn't seem nervous at all and wasn't afraid to take on Maicon or Lucio or Samuel.

Lineup predictions for group stage

Vs. Nigeria and Greece

-----------------------------Romero-----------------------------------
    --Otamendi-------Demichellis-----------Samuel----------Heinze---------
    -----------------------------Mascherano------------------------------
    --Gutierrez-----------------Veron--------------------Di Maria----------
    ------------------Messi---------------Higuain--------------------------

Subs: Maxi for Jones, Pastore for Veron, Milito/Tevez for Higuain

Vs. South Korea

----------------------------Andujar(maybe)----------------------------
    -----Gutierrez--------Burdisso----------Demichellis/Samuel----Clemente-
    -----------------------Bolatti-------Mascherano-----------------------
    --------Maxi----------------------------------------Sosa/Lavezzi------
    ------------------------Tevez/Milito-------Messi/Aguero----------------

11. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As brilliant a player as Messi is, it is Xavi who really makes Barca tick. I have no idea how many asists Xavi must have for goals scored by Messi but it must be quite a few. It's clear that Xavi and Messi have a great understanding, Xavi knows the runs Messi is going to make and can find him with pinpoint precision. If Veron can replicate that then Argentina will do well.

12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our last game is vs the Greeks so by then we will likely be qualified so the line up can change. I think Diego will play Messi/Higuain/Tevez together.

I hope he gives Veron the game off to get his legs back and give Pastore a chance to play. Pastore will be a sensational player in a couple years, if not now. He is so gifted! He is a dying bread, can slow the game down at will(like Riquelme did), has size,vision. He works on his FK then sky is the limit. I get so excited to think about Pastore,Di Maria,Messi,Higuain in the same lineup.

A video of Pastore!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHfubzxcXA"]YouTube- Javier Pastore[/ame]

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL, thanks amigo!

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well we can look at it like this, without Messi being so deadly who would Xavi pass the ball to?. I believe Xavi has about 17 assists in all competition, Messi has 9(or 10), but Messi is just as lethal in passing.

Messi vs Sevilla over the weekend. Look around the 25 sec part, 2:00, 6:40, he holds the ball until waits for an opening, gives a great give and go and gk stops his shot, 7:14 again holds the ball gives a great ball to Bojan but he does deliver. 8:00 mark, again gives Bojan a good ball(somewhat of a deflection) and Bojan does not deliver, again. See Messi could be like Xavi, but the problem is he does not have another Messi on the team.. Xavi is the engine yes but Messi could be a locomotive as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ods13crD_cc"]YouTube- Messi vs Sevilla 08.05.2010[/ame]

15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No problem. :D

I'm a big fan os Pastore, a potential superstar in the making, I think he needs to bulk up but has incredible potential.

As you say Messi, aside from scoring 45 goal, also has a lot of assists and he creates numerous chances for other players, he set up Bojan with an open goal against Inter, which somehow Bojan managed to miss.

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pastore still a young kid, for his role will have plenty of time to grow and mature. He is rumored to be going to a big club, I hope not a club that will sit him down. Stay in Palermo for another year or two, but they blew their chance on making the CL, still have a shot but gotta hope Sampdoria goes down. If they do not, not sure if they will keep their youngsters around. But always Europa League action for Pastore and Palermo. But he is a lock for the WC, right? I can not see anybody else that will replace Veron.

Yes, I have actually seen games when Messi is not playing is when Barca struggle. I believe early in the season Xavi was out and Messi and Barca did not miss a beat. Majority of Messi's goals do come from individual brilliance. Xavi did give a great pass to Messi in last year's CL final though. It will be dictated by tempo and ball control. The positive aspect of Messi in the last few months is that he comes up to get the ball, which he will be more comfortable with us now. We always worried, he plays in his favorite spot for Barca and never comes and gets the ball, now he is used to it. We will have almost a month together so the team will be ready. I can not wait!

17. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can't wait either.

Messi has played far more centrally for Barca all season, his role out wide-right is really a thing of the past.

The key players for Argentina are Messi (obviously), Di Maria, Higuain and Veron as they are the ones who will have to produce that bit of extra quality that is going to be the difference between winning and losing/drawing games. That will become more important the tougher the opponent.

18. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    I agree, the non-call for Banega is making me sad, also because of the fact, that guys like Bolatti/Mercier will be the central midfield replacements.

Don't know why everyone is crying over Zanetti/Cambiasso. Their non-call ups are not surprising. I have read here since months, that Maradona does not give a sh*te about Cambiasso, and the coach stated often that he will play without full-backs (Zanetti).

Good luck for the 23, the country and the coach.

My predicition is: If Argentina will fail, then because of a probably bad tournament of Messi. I doubt that he will be because of the 'fullbacks', or the midfield.

19. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I Argentina fail it will be on Messi? seriously?

20. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Argentina do fail I don't think you can dump it all on a 22 year old. Rather it will be a collective failure. But for now I'm being optimistic.

21. King Aguero

King Aguero New Member

May 22, 2008
    I wanna see how teams are gonna manage to score against our defense seriously im not a 4 CB fan but it seems like its gonna be a bit tough for teams to score unless 1 our of the 4 screws up big time!

22. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

If we come up against stronger teams later in the tournament, i.e. Spain, Brazil, Holland, then they will target our "fullbacks" as the weak links in our defence (Brazil targeted Heinze in the Copa final), especially when you consider that those teams possess Silva, Robben and Robhinio. Maradona though has stated that he is taking full backs so he will have the otpion of using them if he feels it necessary.

23. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i took the zanetti thing really hard. ive had the pleassure of working at his foundation and let me tell you does better things off the field than on it. we all have a right to be pissed, not just for football reasons, but becuase this time it is a pelotudo like maradona leaving out a guy who is a class act. when we hear all this talk about "codigos" it is zanetti who truly has a different set of codes than diego, not just roman. Zanetti is one of my top 3 favorite players of all time. the way i feel watching argentina without pupi is the way i felt when bati first left the team. other than him, we have to think about it. Gago- people, myself included, were calling for his head during qualifying he was so bad. who cares. if he had gone, he wouldn't have played. Lisandro- once again, i prefer him to martin, but how much was he going to play if he went? he may have been player of the year in france, but he is not going to player over any of messi, pipa, tevez, or milito. lucho- he came into discussions lately, but hes always been crap for the NT. will not be missed. aimar- eh, he is injury prone and i think pastore is a better option.

that being said, he was only going to play a bench role and not much has changed. the "fantastic four" of bruja, di maria, pipa, and leo is on paper unstoppable. luckily, messi missed out on the CL final so i think that extra week will get these four to play the way they need too. we also have the fear factor of other teams. everyone knows messi is the best player in the world and di maria i think will be considered top 10 by the end of this WC. everyone knows what pipa can do. then people will look at our bench, and know that if we are losing we can throw on tevez, aguero, milito, or hell even martin. those players would start on most other teams. pastore is a phenom and will go to a huge club after the WC IMO.

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was outraged when Zanetti was not chosen for the 2006 world cup (and equally surprised that a lot of posters on here at that time did not seem bothered), but kets be honest, no one expected him to be anywhere contention to be going to this world cup. The fact that he is still playing well enough to have gone is great credit to him and shows what kind of player and person he is. I genuinely think that any other manager of the NT would not have picked him either, so lets move on.

25. King Aguero

King Aguero New Member

May 22, 2008

But he only selected 1 full back though which is Clemente so if those teams do target our full backs then we'll have Clemente and Heinze? unless he drops Jonas to one of those spots