Argentina : Copa America 2019 discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Since then, Sampaoli has been replaced by Lionel Scaloni, the former Argentinean right-back, who was drafted in as the caretaker coach to steer the National Team through the turbulent times. Scaloni had been a part of Sampaoli's coaching set up at the 2018 FIFA World Cup and in November 2018, he was selected as the permanent manager of the National Team until the end of the Copa America.

Argentina's recent record in the Copa America is enough to bring tears in the eyes of most fans. They have reached the final in 4 out of the last 5 tournaments, but sadly, have been on the losing side on all 4 occasions. Three of those defeats have been on penalties, including the last two times, in 2015 and 2016, when they lost to Chile on both occasions!

However, only Uruguay have won the tournament more times (15) than La Albeceleste, who have been champions on 14 occasions. The last time they won the Copa America was in 1993, so Lionel Messi and Co. are desperate to get their hands on the trophy this year!

Argentina are in Group B this time, alongside Columbia, Paraguay and invitees Qatar. While the group does look easy on paper, Scaloni does have his work cut out when the team takes to field on 15th June.

The Argentina manager has made big changes to the squad that flew into Russia for the 2018 FIFA World Cup; only 9 players from that bunch have made it to the Copa America Squad.

Goalkeepers:
    Franco Armani (River Plate), Agustin Marchesin (Club America) and Esteban Andrada (Boca Juniors).

Defenders: Juan Foyth (Tottenham Hotspur), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City), German Pezzella (Fiorentina), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax), Ramiro Funes Mori (Villarreal), Renzo Saravia (Racing Club), Marcos Acuna (Sporting Lisbon) and Milton Casco (River Plate).

Midfielders: Leandro Paredes (PSG), Guido Rodriguez (Club America), Giovani Lo Celso (Real Betis), Guido Pizarro (UANL), Roberto Pereyra (Watford), Rodrigo De Paul (Udinese), Angel Di Maria (PSG).

Forward: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Lautaro Martinez (Inter Milan) Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Matias Suarez (River Plate).

https://www.sportskeeda.com/footbal...gentina-national-team-final-squad-and-preview

After disappointment in last year World cup and recent u20 failture, we will have another chance to win something major. Time flies really fast and it would be less than 10 days before Copa begin .

I dont have high expectation for this year edition but since there will be another Copa next year at home, I hope Scolani will at least improve the chemistry between these newer guys and the few key old timers like Messi, Aguero, Di Maria , Otamendi. There's high expectation on Lo Celso this time around and recent friendlies shows the team hasnt really click yet.

What Venezuela did in recent friendly should be a warning sign, since any opponents in Copa most likely will apply high preasuring game and go physical on us, so this team better be prepared for that.

Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We winning this bitch. You can take that to the bank.

Okay, maybe not. But I don’t think it’s as dire as some believe. I’m always a half full glass guy. Always the optimist. Even when it rains, I see the sun shining.

Oh, I’m back from the dentist, and I’m drugged up, so... feeling not too bad.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #3 SupaMario, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    So, news is coming out that Neymar will miss the CA. He suffered an injury in a friendly today v Qatar. The players were targeting Neymar and they were playing a bit rough. We have them in our group stages.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea, it could be similar to recent Venezuela match but worst. Other team will always go rough against us, Uruguay in 2015 group stage was great example. They have great attacking players at the time but still play like African team when facing Argentina. Physical play with constant fouling is a type of game we're always struggle to deal with.

Then again, Brazil still beat Qatar without Neymar. I'm sure Tite has more than enough experience to make them a formidable team.

We actually played pretty well during Messi's absent in previous 6 matches and the only bad lost under Scolani ironically is when Messi play. What I fear the most would be our same old habit that is relying on Messi to solve everything.

5. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I'm hyper pessimistic tbh.

I think we will have a bad match with Colombia, either losing or drawing, and then we will scrap narrow victories with Paraguay and Qatar.
    We finish 2nd place in the group and then we go out in quarters to Peru or Venezuela on penalties after playing a "good" game. Kinda like 2011 copa.

Scaloni will be fired and the next coach is Gallardo or some old dude.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think even all our players realize they're not in good shape as a team. Messi and Tagliafico has said the team main target is to find their best form.

Even though we're not favorite, who do you think play a much better football than Argentina or the best football among these 12 teams? On paper the winner probably would be Uruguay or Brazil, but what happened in recent WC/Copa/Euro proof top teams that looked unbeatable prior to the tournament can be well beaten by underdogs.

To completely write out our chance would be an overstatement. Germany topped their qualifying group with 10 win out of 10 , scoring 40+ conceiding just 4... but then got dominated by S Korea and Mexico. Croatia only won 1 of their last 3 qualifier games and even lost to 0-2 to Peru in friendly and they're finalist. Uruguay , Brazil and Argentina were favorites in last 2 Copa and Chile won both times. They even lost to Argentina at group stage but still won the thropy nevertheless.

The main problem would be the mindset/mentallity of our players. Let say we take the lead 1-0 against Peru and dominates them for large part of the game, I could guarentee we will look like nervous wreck in last 20 minutes and possibly conceided late equalizer and lost the shootout.

soul24rage repped this.
  7. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    My biggest fear is with the coach, not so much with the players. We still have a better squad than anyone save Brazil.

If Scaloni puts a logical, normal formation we can do a fine tournament. If he starts doing stupid shit like in the friendly with Venezuela, with a backline of 3/5 players and no real holding mid we're ********ed.

8. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm just hoping that for the Nicaragua game, Scaloni will put up the starting lineup that he will put vs Colombia. The team needs a lot of practice together as much as possible.

afar repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That’s a fair assessment but I’m going to give Scaloni the benefit of the doubt and say he will be a bit more logical and rational when it comes to put out a starting 11. I think he was just experimenting with things vs Venezuela and it clearly didn’t work. So, I think we’ll be fine. We have a good team and I think we can come together. The camp looks to be good spirits, which is a positive.

argentine soccer fan and soul24rage repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For those in the US, the CA will be on ESPN+ and Telemundo.

locoxriver and argentine soccer fan repped this.
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Neymar is probably getting the karma he deserves, but still, I think it's disgraceful that in a friendly preparation game they went after him like that. Can you imagine if they do that to Messi?

13. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Mentally, the players “seem” to be really relaxed and really happy — which is a complete 180 from the build-up and actual tournament of WC2018, where we seemed mentally completely broken and had a real toxic atmosphere all around.

soul24rage repped this.
  14. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tomorrow's lineup confirmed by Scaloni

----------------Armani
    Saravia--Foyth--Otamendi--Acuna
    -----Guido---Paredes---Lo Celso
    Messi--------Aguero--------Suarez

According to Scaloni, he feels that this is the best team at the moment.

15. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

No Tagliafico? No Pezzella? Defense is the area we need most help on.

At least we have a defensive mid in there.

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Acuna instead of Tagliafico is pretty surprising. Acuna is faster going forward when we need extra flair on the wing but Tagliafico has better aerial ability.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don’t think it’s too bad if he keeps this as his team. You can have ADM in as a sub, he can come in and provide energy. Mati will work hard to get the likes of Kun and Messi support.

Paredes will have support with Guido, so he can be a bit more adventurous going forward.

The defense. I am happy to see Foyth be given the start, as I said, we need to build for the future and give our youngsters confidence. He clearly saw something in practice where he likes Foyth and Nico as a backup to Acuña isn’t too bad either.

I am satisfied with this team. I think there is enough creativity and hard working players where we can score goals and do well defending.

soul24rage and afar repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In recent training pictures Pezzella was still wearing a protective mask. His maxillary injury was originally rumored to leave him out til mid June, so maybe Foyth is just getting the start for now to avoid risking German’s recovery before the start of the Copa.

Acuña over Tagliafico doesn’t make sense, but hopefully that’s just some sort of experiment to see if we can pull off the offensive risk if needed.

Albiceleste2010 and soul24rage repped this.
  19. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    How can you pick a sub from Sporting that isn't even a LB over a starter of Ajax?

Really, these retarded coaches we have...

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  20. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    I completely agree. Let's hope Tagliafico just has a minor knock or needs some rest, and he will be starting against Colombia.

Can't believe we don't have Silva or Ansaldi for LB replacement. I'm so done with Acuna.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m just excited to get the ball rolling. Let’s see what goes down later today. No injuries, please.

soul24rage, Rattlehead and locoxriver repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hopefully I could find free good streaming for this friendly. There's local sport website here in my country that somehow has a fluid streaming for the entire u20 tournament but it doesnt have streaming for this friendly .

23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is our year. Hopefully next year is. I just hope this isn't embarrassing.

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If the midfield clicks and if Messi and Kun are firing on all cylinders, we’re gonna be hard to beat. Big if’s But let’s wait and see.

But regardless, people will complain about today’s result. Either “so, what, Nicaragua isn’t a challenge.” Or “we struggled to beat an inferior opponent.” Damned if we do, damned if we don’t.

Burr, soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, the kids losing their shit seeing Messi. :ROFLMAO:

Always a great part of the game.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.