Aren't we americans?

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by chinofan, Oct 18, 2003.

1. cant_bicycle_yet

cant_bicycle_yet New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Soccertown, USA
    So if I eat a piece of pie, the piece belongs to the pie?

2. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Heights of the Andes....

I was born in the heights of the Andes (1,630 mts) under an Avocado tree, woken up every morning by the beautiful sounds of the Tuki-Tuki birds, pray to the Sun God, as did my native ancestors, and track and kill my food with my bare hands, so yea....I'm an American. Oh yea, in my village, having 10" like I do, makes you a very rich rich man....:p

3. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Is that supposed to be some kind of phylosophical question?

To know whether or not the piece of pie belongs to the pie falls down to whether or not the pie can be atributed the human capability of owning something and also whether or not the physical separation between the piece of pie and the pie and the physical state (all chewed up) changes the capability of the pie to own the piece of pie

I'm just playing around

Pibe#10 > having 10" in Venezuela doesn't help you, that's the average length. But it does in the US :)

4. chinofan

chinofan New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Uruguay
    So what are you trying to say with the pie thing? I think that a pie is a very tasteful food. I like lemon pies but does that mean that only US people can eat them? No, I don't think so. Besides pie in spanish is foot. So you are probably trying to say that you'd like to kick my ass in some subtle way (very).
    And what about pizza? I like pizza a lot but you didn't talk about it. You are a food racist man, damn you.

Now let's talk about certain movie...

You know...

AMERICAN PIE!

5. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    What we are talking about here is communication. Communication exists so that we can understand each other, not so that we can be right. Do what you have to do to get your point across. If I am in the USA or English-speaking Europe I will not hesitate to call myself an American when refering to my country of origin-not to be ignorant of continental Americans, but to be understood. When I am in Latin America, I will take caution to be specific, as I may be misunderstood if I use the word American.

When I am on a message board that reaches the world over, I call myself Blong. Thank you.

6. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    haha, I heard you people were small, so don't try to deny it...;)

7. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    You never saw the pic of Bio's boyfriend...his baby picture?

8. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you mean that baby pic with the huge pipi? Yea I've seen it before.

9. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Yea, that is really me, back in the day, but I let her use it. :D

10. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    :D

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    YOU LET HER USE THE PIPI or the photo?

Pls explain, last I heard she became a Nun last month! what an Impression you did on her!

12. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Trick question?

[​IMG]

A) I tried but she is "bi"-osoccer

B) I never had relations with that women, ms bio.

C) How can a Peruvian get along with a Chilean/Ecuadorian mix?

D) "Nun" of the above!

13. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    If we don't fight against it, in 10 years Catholics will not be Christians in US culture.

To me, this quote sums up the entire thrust of that thread. I've lived in the US my entire life & I think the possibility of Catholics no longer being recognized as Christians in "US culture" is so far-fetched that the entire idea is baffling to me. The poster offers no evidence to support this ominous warning.

And when have Americans ever suggested that Uruguayans, et. al. are not allowed to call themselves American? And precisely why is it so important to identify yourselves first & foremost by your continent? I've met thousands of Europeans in my day & if I ask 'em what they are they invariably respond "I'm Polish, I'm Irish, I'm Spanish, etc.". Not "I'm European, I'll leave you to guess what country I'm from."

The rather innocent explanation for how we came to be called Americans has been explained here. Honestly, do Indians get pissed off if a Cherokee refers to himself as an Indian? Or do they just accept the historical accident that led to the redundancy?

It's not that big of a deal. I'm Irish-American & when people hear my very Irish name they ask "Are you Irish?" Sometimes I say 'yeah', sometimes I say 'well, no, not technically, I mean, I'm an American of Irish descent, my parents were born there." Either way it's not a big deal. It's not like I'm trying to co-opt the Irish; just like Americans aren't trying to get one over on South America.

Human communication is rarely precise.

14. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    E) Garcia took a shot in the groin!

F) garcia is lucky: took 'Plomo' from her