Arena & USA coaching = English/German/UGLY futbol

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by futbol571, Jun 22, 2003.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Bruce Arena, like 95% of the English/German styled and trained coaches in the USA put no emphasis on style, creativity, flair, passing & technique/skill.

Look how beautiful the Colombians and Japanese play the game! The ball at their feet, amazing passing, flair & a reason to pay money to watch.

If we lost and playrd like that I'd be fine.

Problem is Arena & the vast majority of "coaches" in the USA have their fundamental beliefs from a English and German style which basically is BORING to watch. This is entertainment last time I checked!

We need to start encouraging our most skillful & creative players not our most athletic & aggresive. We might win a few games, but in the end.

Brazil will beat Germany 9 out of 10 times in the final by dribbling around this big bafoons.

Arena, MLS, USSoccer, NSCAA, USYSA, AYSO and the like ..... PROMOTE ATTACKING/CREATIVE/BEAUITIFUL futbol, that players enjoy to play and fans enjoy watching!!!

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

American fans like winning. All that really matters to them. If they'd played with "flair and style" and all that crap and LOST then it don't mean a thing to us.

The Nats should adopt a more attacking style of soccer, that's true, but that's not necessarily beautiful or creative. Just put the ball in the net, that's all.

3. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    someone mentioned how skilled the japanese players are compared to the usa players.

i think we should do what japan does which is that they affiliated their league to the brazilian style of play by bringing in brazilian coaches and players etc.

i am not saying fill up the mls with brazilian coaches, but a little latin influence would help a lot (as in a few latin coaches here and there)

4. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I don't believe that. I think you are very wrong.

Jordan didn't win everything, neither did Pele.

I think MLS, US Soccer and futbol in this nation would be much more SELLABLE if teams played attractive.

There can only be 1 team a year that wins MLS Cup, WUSA Founders Cup and 1 every 4 years in the World Cup out of 200+ nations.

We'd have much better luck selling the game to the American public with beauty/entertainment than we do in winning all the time. This is not the Yankees errrrr baseball.

5. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That would help, as well as embracing the Latin American (in the USA already) culture. The average Hispanic futbol fan in the USA knows much more about the game from a NSCAA/USSF "A" licensed coach. Not to mention how beautiful the game can and should be from youth to the pros.

6. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    like i said before bring in some foreign coaches! and when i say foreign i mean latin coaches not Hudson!

7. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well said :)

8. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I think american made coaches should be given a chance, but what I DON'T AGREE WITH is mls bringing in british coaches! and with little experience!

if not mistaken both Hudson and Nicol had little coaching experience (both are mls made if not mistaken) so why not give these 2 spots to latin coaches instead? i don't think some central american coach or other latin coach is too expensive for mls.

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

In all of this Latin-ization of the coaching system where does the development of the American style fit in?

I realize I'm on a patriotic bent tonight and I don't know why, but where does the rest of the world get off telling us how soccer should be played? We've garnered our share of success playing the way we want to.

10. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The rest of the world who plays BEAUTIFUL FUTBOL. Chill with the ignorant patriotism and see reality.

The USA might win, but think of every game in the last year since the World Cup. Horrendously ugly futbol. MLS isn't good either.

More than the star power, why does Giants Stadium get 70k for Real Madrid/Roma and 15k for MetroStars games?

People want to see the BEAUTIFUL GAME. For goals I can go watch AYSO any time. People want to see players do what they CANNOT.

11. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    roehl look at the japan example. They appointed brazilians to help develop their league and style. They brought in coaches and players to help the japanese along.

if mls wants to be succesful and draw crowds i dont know why on earth they would apoint the english/german style of doing things. Mls should bring in a few latin coaches and have a mix of american/latin coaches to develop the league.

12. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Watching Japan and Colombia in this tournament was a joy.

Watching the USA even though I love them, could have made me fall asleep.

If all we have to look forward to is the spectacle of them playing in the WC every 4 years and hopefully advancing (remember it almost didn't happen), the sport will not catch on in the mass media and public of American society.

13. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The Tony Sannehs of the world are great for England and Germany, both their national league and teams.

But I don't want a bunch of athletic, horribly skilled "futbol players" grinding out a win every few games.

I rather be entertained by dazzling skill, flair and creativity. The pinnacle of which is Brazil. I don't think they are big time losers and their culture seems to like futbol too? Wow how odd.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I think the reality is two straight losses have really got you running scared. I've learned to be a bit more patient.

There is nothing ignorant about patriotism - though I'll concede sometimes it's just plain silly when abused - and I'm sorry that you feel that way. There is a need for MLS to play a style of soccer that is uniquely American, not one that is branded European or South American. I don't know what that style is, because truth be told we haven't seen it yet. But as long as the game continues to be imported in more than it is developed naturally, we will NEVER see it.

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

And yet J-League suffers, one year removed from the World Cup. The national team of any soccer playing nation is only between one-third and one-half of the soccer played in that nation. The domestic leagues make up the rest. That doesn't necessarily equate to World Cup wins, but then again it doesn't have to. The point is that the Brazilian style alone hasn't brought the league into full maturity.

16. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Ummmm NO. I have been saying this for decades thank you Roehl.

There is nothing ignorant about patriotism - though I'll concede sometimes it's just plain silly when abused - and I'm sorry that you feel that way. There is a need for MLS to play a style of soccer that is uniquely American, not one that is branded European or South American. I don't know what that style is, because truth be told we haven't seen it yet. But as long as the game continues to be imported in more than it is developed naturally, we will NEVER see it.
    [/QUOTE]
    Patriotism and zealousness in general is great unless it becomes blinding to reality.

MLS has no style, neither does American soccer but it is certainly smelling a lot like English & German blandness. Why do you think their biggest clubs import Argentines, Brazlians and French en masse??? They admit they are better.

One of the most skilled Englishmen in a decade (McManaman) has sat the bench for Real Madrid for years.

17. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The Brazilian leagues problems have nothing to do with the style of play but the administration of the game.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Chill out bro'. The new generation of players knows how to play. By 2010 we should be looking more like Holland than Germany. The game's still developing here, but I won't argue that youth soccer needs a major overhaul in the way that the game is taught.

I will say this though, and that is I believe that Joe Six Pack football and baseball fans want to see skill. I had more than a few remark to me about how skilled Turkey was in the WC.

19. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Do you think we should chill out as the most talented player in the nation, yes ADU, will probably not get any time until he is "physically" ready in Arena's eyes?

Our most talented players are almost always overlooked. And that doesn't mean the 20 or so you have read about in Soccer America and see gracing the youth national teams. BUT THE ENTIRE SYSTEM is flawed and promoted anti-futbol.

20. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    McManaman does indeed play at times though. He has scored some golazos, not to mention one that he scored against Valencia in the Champion's League final a couple years ago. I think the point that you should be making is that one of the most skilled Englishmen in a decade plays in a skill league in Europe.

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You keep using that word, reality. I don't think it really means what you think it means.

So, what are we playing the game for? I guess, by your logic, we will never be as good as them, so I don't see the point in playing soccer at all then. I suppose we should just leave it up to the Argentines and Brazilians of the world to just let them play the game for us, because clearly you don't think we are or will ever be good enough on our own.

Sad.

Good for him. Whatever makes him happy. I'll bake a cake for him.

22. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    No we should not continue to play this way and be coached (youth/pro/etc) this way.

We should demand from USSF, NSCAA, MLS, WUSA, NCAA, AYSO, USYSA >>> that they start emphasizing SKILL & TECHNIQUE over everything else. That all comes with time.

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Breath and relax. Here's another newsflash---USSF doesn't have control over how the game is played here. Those damn amateur youth organizations do. We're going to have to be patient--the U18 team just finished a European tour where they played French and Dutch reserve teams. They have quite a few skilled players, in particular a kid named Danny Vasquez scored most of the goals.. The next U17 team will have more skill players also, with like 5 or 6 Latinos.

The system can't be overridden until MLS has more cashflow to start youth teams where they can actually teach kids how to play a tactical game. But the game won't be South American style long term here--it'll be a mix between Dutch and South American IMHO.

24. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The large part of our foreign exports go to ENGLAND & GERMANY. Why??? Because we play like them, just in an embryonic form.

REYNA: Our most creative player/playmaker was a defender in Scotland.

OBRIEN: Our 2nd most creative player/playmaker, is a defender in Holland.

GOALKEEPERS: need I mention that this is our greatest export?

We need to start breeding and encouranging our youth to be more creative, take risks, play with flair and beauty. As well as expect and demand this from our pros ... ESPECIALLY our NATIONAL TEAMS!

25. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Kyle Martino, easily our most creative player on the current US Men's roster in France. Has not played a minute yet.

Arena and the vast majority of "coaches" in the USA have no clue how to utilize, encourage and blossom creative players. They think this will not let them win.

Tell that to Brazil, Turkey, France, Japan, ......... etc.