Arena should be taken out and shot ...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Toad_of_Toad_Hall, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... for starting Waterreus. Who is utterly useless and should be gotten rid of ASAP.
    Discuss :)

2. SpassMacher2000

Jun 15, 2006
    Wattereus is a failure...at life.

3. Irish527

Irish527 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    LA had 5 shots on goal...Waterreus saved 1.

We had 15 shots on goal...Cannon saved 10.

Hmmm...i wonder who the better keeper is?

4. BallackUSA13

BallackUSA13 New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Margaretville, NY
    Should have brought in either Barthez or Keller.

I do say that the Red Bulls should go after Ollie Kahn next summer as he has said this will be his last year for Bayern, and is thinking of going over to China. Give him the money and I think he could come, even if just for a season. I know I would pay to see him covering our goal.

5. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked to me like he can not jump or push off his bad ankle. Not sure why he is playing as Conway looks much better right now. This guys has to be hurt as does not come off his line on set pieces either.

6. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms New Member

May 26, 2007
    New York
    Conway is our #1 'keeper!

7. pjae

pjae New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    new york state
    ...an embarrassment. the brits behind me were laughing at how bad he is and other than that they were totally for red bulls. supposedly he was put in for his european experience, which was to help him how?!? other than the walrus, the game was amazing!

8. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be a no-brainer! Conway in, Watterrus out!

9. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you nuts? Barthez. No effing way. As for Kahn, how can they pay him? Do you think he would come here for 250k?

10. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can't believe i'm saying this, b/c i've been merciless on Kasey Keller ... but he would have been a better signing than the Walrus. frankly, they both suck.

i never would have predicted this, but that ankle trouble seems to have essentially ended Ronald W's career. he's already slow, and now he just can't push off. add that to the turf giving him problems .. and you have one ************ GK.

11. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i say, we unload Jozy(to europe) and Reyna(to florida retirement)and walrus(who knows where) go out use the money from jozy's sale to acquire a good MLS striker/draft a striker and buy a quality keeper, or stick with conway and pick up a quality experienced defender

12. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - Conway is a very good keeper and he deserves to start for the rest of the year. I don't know how Watterreus can look so good early n the year but become pure shit in this part of the year.
    Start Conway!!!!!!

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watershitz is hurt. He can not push off his ankle. Watch how slow he looks. No explosiveness at all right now. I hope the caoches watch the tapes of the game. We need one European defender and Conway in Goal and we will be fine as long as reyna sits and Clint starts.

14. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please ... NOT Keller. From what we saw several weeks back, he'd be hard pressed to do the business even in MLS. Much less in Europe, where there's not exactly a mad rush to sign him, is there?

15. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding ding ding we have a winner! :D

I was thinking exactly that as the match unfolded last night.

16. PipersArmy

PipersArmy New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    New Joisey
    Reyna is the biggest waste of money on the team. Clint has a nose for the goal and is always on the attack when on the field. Reyna is a washed up shit midfielder who reminds me of the days of Tab Ramos. Always injured and payed too much. But at least Ramos would put on an entertaining display when he was in.
    We need to free up that valuable DP slot that Reyna is wasting and get another quality player. Has to be a defender or goalie. If Josie goes to Europe, then maybe another forward.
    P.S. I miss Tim Howard.

17. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Repped Toad... Poor Walrus.. his nickname fits perfectly now...lumbering flat foot...bring back Mr. Pants for DC and NE or we will pay the price!

19. WIZZETS

WIZZETS New Member

May 30, 2001
    Chattanooga via NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce's decisions to start the players he brought in regardless of recent performances shows that he really has no clue. I'm getting sick and tired of his love affair with Univ of Virginia. There are great players from that school, but there are great ones who have never stepped foot in Virginia. Reyna has to sit. Every game we have played without him -- where Clint has led the offense -- we have played well. Every game we have played with Reyna we have struggled to put together an attack.

Waterreus isn't from the Univ of VA, but he IS one of Bruce's signings. Bruce seems to have a tough time acknowledging that he's not perfect, and that he made a mistake with these two high-profile off season signings. Say what you will about Waterreus being injured, you have to expect longer recovery times with older players. Surely Bruce understands this? Signing an old keeper from Europe when we have plenty of solid young keepers in this country was a mistake.

20. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    Bruce made this same mistake once before this season, and we paid for it. He obviously doesn't learn from experience. I was furious listening to his comments after the game; he had to throw in (once again) negative comments about "inexperienced players". He can't seem to admit what is obvious to everyone else. One of the "inexperienced" players scored two goals, while his pick for keeper -- with tons of experience -- bombed.

In 132, we were screaming for Conway before the game even started, and several times during the game. He deserved the start, after the way he has played. Not fair, and not good coaching.

21. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    Just to be fair to Walrus... he's trying his best, which unfortunately isn't good enough. The simple fact of the matter is that he's not 100%.

Even if he were 100%, there'd be a case to be made for starting Conway, but with the Walrus hurt and playing like he is, it's not even a question: Conway should be starting.

Kudos for Walrus for trying to play hurt, but since we've also got Conway, playing Walrus hurts the team, and Bruce should recognize that. If Zack Thornton were the backup, I'd say keep Walrus in there, but that's not the case.

I don't blame Walrus; he's trying his best, but he just can't go. I DO blame the coach who's silly enough to play him over a physically sound backup.

22. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes Bruce doesn't know his a** from his elbow.

Letting Friedel leave the nats in favor or Keller wasn't the brightest of moves for Bruce. Keller was sh*t in WC06.

23. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    For now, I'd agree. This offseason, both need to be upgraded.

24. highflyerone

highflyerone Member

Aug 18, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had beckham gotten his free kicks over the wall the game could've been 7-5, what poor keeping on both ends.

25. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Recently, I think it was in the loss to Chivas, Conway made a dreadful blunder that cost us a goal. He has his bad moments, but he is generally very realiable, and a better choice than Waterreuse, who is essentially injured. He is not fully recovered from the ankle injury.

I am surprised he has not taken himself out of consideration. I suppose that is something no player wants to do, the desire to compete being so ingrained. I am more surprised that the coaching staff gave him the okay to play the match.

The Reyna situation is another, painful problem for the team. It is clear that, at this time, the team plays better with Clint in the center. Both Jozy and Angel feed off his desire to attack and take the game to the other team.

Since we have problems in defense, we might do better playing Reyna as a sweeper, where his skill and experience could be put to positive use. Unfortunately, it is lilkely too late in the season to switch from a flat four to a sweeper system. That's too bad, since Mendes might be the answer at left back.

With Conway in goal, and a back four of Mendes-Park-Reyna-Freeman, we might show more precision in defense.