Arena on new MNT candidates

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoSix, Nov 11, 2003.

1. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/grant_wahl/11/10/mls.classic/index.html

All that said, Arena couldn't help but be impressed by what happened Sunday night. And the fact is, he has been able to identify some new national team prospects: "I would say [New England's] Pat Noonan, from what I've seen the last month or two. Brian Mullan is an interesting player. And the kid Jamil Walker had a fantastic game last night. He's a walking advertisement for the league. We're often critical of the league, but you look at this kid who came in at the beginning of the year and was really raw, inexperienced and not ready to play, and he got a goal last night and was dangerous. It's pretty noticeable that he's made considerable improvements throughout the year."

2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Brian Mullan was very good on Sunday night. The second half he looked like he knew he could beat Sasha everytime he got the ball down on the wing.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes it quite scary that Bruce has been toying with Sasha on the national team since the last WC. I hope that he loses that notion in the VERY near future!

4. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    I had seen Walker play as a sub before, and he showed me a few things. The header he made against LA was a beaut on MLS wrap highlights. I wish I had been able to see the game.

But the thing that impresses me about Arena singling him out is the coach seems to have retained his own admitted lesson from Korea. about the WC being a young man's game.

I hope the Bruce continues to experiment. God knows at forward we need all the exprimenting we can get.

5. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Hes been 'toying' with Sasha since the last World Cup? Sasha played in three friendlies after the World Cup against El Salvador, Canada, and Argentina. He hasn't suited up for the nats since then. Thats hardly toying. Bruce knows Sasha isn't cut out for the national team. He gave him his chance and proved that he isn't ready for the nats.

6. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think he looked bad. It seemed like he had a goal or two in the few matches.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Walker has a good enough touch to play at the international level (sort of like a younger Carrieri), but he sure is fast and whenever he's played in MLS has looked dangerous. Maybe down the line.

Mullan has had a breakout year. I don't know if burning Victorine and Albright 100 consecutive times makes one ready to be a Nat, but he is a tireless worker, a pretty good dribbler, has good speed and is a good crosser. A definite possibility at right mid (where we're overall fairly weak).

8. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Sounds like toying to me. The toying is over now, but I'd say that could be called toying.

Toying it is.

9. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    What about Curtin? Does he have a shot at the national team?

10. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Guess I was more flustered at the fact that the poster said Bruce had been toying with Sasha since the World Cup. He put him there in the first three friendlies after the World Cup against El Salvador and Canada (not very good teams) and an Argentine C team. Sasha hasn't played a minute for the Nats since February, since then we've played how many friendlies plus two tournaments? Sasha is well out of the national team picture.

11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    You think Rusty Pierce is a player Bruce should call up now, but suggest that a Jim Curtin call-up is only possible in the minds of the high? A lot of unbiased fans rate Curtin higher. I rate Curtin much higher.

Not only a cheap shot, but a hypocritical cheap shot.

12. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    And it's not like we're deep at central defender either.

13. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Jim Curtin will definitely get a look in up coming friendlies. The guy deserves it. We all know that he is pretty slow, but you hardly ever see him get burnt by speed because of his excellent positional sense. Plus, with his height, you know that he won't give up any goals in the air.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes, because tall people never do this. they certainly never do it in the world cup vs. teams like germany. glad we had tall players like pope and sanneh in there. :D:D

but honestly, never hurts to give curtin a look. at least bring him into camp, see what he's got. I'm sure Bruce will do it. I think curtin's earned the chance.

15. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    one would hope rico clark is also on the radar screen.

16. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Although Curtin is probably one of the better defenders in MLS, I don't see him with the Nats for a couple reasons. One his distribution from the back is questionable and two he is a slow footed big ogor of a defender. Also Pierce doesn't even belong in the A-League. He is a two bit hack.

17. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I've watched Curtin play a lot and the guy seems to always be in position and makes very few mistakes. You don't need a lot of speed for his position. I would think a 6'4" central defender would be an asset to the USMNT.

18. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I believe Ricardo Clark definatly needs to be looked at as i think he will become our #1 def/mid for the years to come.

19. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    If you'd seen much of Jim Curtain, you wouldn't be laughing, the guy's a machine...He may not be a burner, but we're not talking LB here either are we? He'd be a very strong choice to back up Papa Pope, next to Boca (and Grey...In front of Armas, Beasley, Mapp, and Razov...JK...barely).

And Walker has definitely improved over the course of the season (I seem to remember a Jamil shaped hole in the turf...hehe). And I think he (among many others) deserves a good look, but let's not put him in any quallies just yet.

Who else, who else...I think Armas is in again, and Razov should be...But I'm not going to be objective here, am I? And yes, for the sake of argument, Noonan...

Alotta guys are gonna get camps, at least...So I don't think anyone's gonna get left out...

20. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    And a murderer.
    Thanks for the unbiased assessment.

BTW, Curtins ready too.

Razov has definitely earned another shot and Clark seems like an interesting player (although his play fell off in the late part of the MLS season).

Noonan will also probably get a shot too - although it seems unlikely, at this point anyway, that he'll stick.

Mullan sure seems like Bruce's kind of player.

I'll tell ya, Mapp looked like a pretty interesting player the other night. Probably too early, but definitely interesting.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I like Clark a lot, but he's not ready for prime time NT duty. If you watched the games that Armas and Mulrooney had in the semis, you could appreciate just how much farther they are at that position then Rico. They just DOMINATED the field. Won everything, always in the right spot, always involved in the game.

Rico did start out like that early on, but he really started to fade later on (reminded me of Kelly Grey's first year. Remember all the buzz for him to join the National Team?).

Clark is the real deal, but not right now. I'd say that Armas and Mastroeni are better defenders, while Mulrooney and O'Brien are better attackers. Unless Arena wants to go to a 3-5-2 with twin D-mids, Clark is at best the fifth choice for D-mid in a 4-4-2. Heck, the Wizard fans would tell you that Kerry Z is better then Clark right now....

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Yallop mentioned that three Earthquakes have been invited to a National Team training camp at the end of the month. The players are Brian Mullan, Richard Mulrooney, and Todd Dunivant. Landon Donovan has been excused from the camp in order to rest up following a busy 2003."

Bottom of this article:
    http://quakemagic.matchnight.com/qmdefault.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=319

23. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Curtin is easily one of the most underrated central defenders in the league along with San Jose's Eddie Robinson. He's consistently proved his worth this season and has great positional sense. While I was skeptical when I first read murmurings of his talent here on BigSoccer, he's really proved it to me over the course of this season.

24. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    And if you noticed, the reason that his effectiveness seemed to wane was because he was moved to right mid. That position just doesn't suit his skills. When he has played centrally he has been a revelation. While on the wing, not so impressive.

25. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC