Are You Ready?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Oct 19, 2002.

1. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

blah, blah, blah :D

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I can easily see Arena using Armas in the ABMOD role over the next couple of years. Armas, when healthy and back to form, will be called in to help future candidates learn the responsibilities, challenges, and specific roles of the Defensive Midfield position. Arena will likely use Armas in much the same way Phil Jackson uses Ron Harper to help players new to his system acclimate themselves to Arena Ball and a new set of responsibilities. I see nothing wrong with that.

In that process, it is likely he will even get game time along the way, especially if the future candidates are struggling.

Will Armas compete for a spot on the 2006 roster?

I hope not. I hope future options play a level above Armas in their offensive AND defensive contributions to the game. With 4 more years of professional experience in this position at Colorado, and even more importantly, experience in Arena's system, I expect Mastroeni will rise to the challenge as he did in the last World Cup. Behind Pablo, Richard Mulrooney and others lie in waiting.

3. Armas would be a decent backup for Pablo, but why waste WC experience on a 34-year-old? I would use him in qualifying, but no more... Of course, he missed out on 2002 so he will probably get the charity nod in Germany. Totally respectable as a sub though, as Cobi was in 2002 I thought. Could be worse... we could still be talking about Pablo getting a shot.

4. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Re: Re: Are You Ready?

I would move Agoos to striker to take advantage of his finishing ability.

5. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I think Armas gives us solid depth at that position. He has a shot a being a late game sub on the 2006 team if we qualify. His first tough is only average but you have to like his hustle.

6. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Re: Re: Are You Ready?

Do you mean "maligned" as in "unfairly criticized" or do you mean it as in "pile on the venom, boys, 'cause I'm tired of these loosers wearin' the shirt"?

If you're talking about the latter I have to admit to you that before Cobi's visit to the proctologists against Mexico at the Cup I'd say each of these guys deserve it in spades. Meola if only for his completely absurd attempts at the NFL and Broadway. Now, of course, I'd give Cobi a pass after his service in JK02.

7. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Furthermore, I'd like to have Armas around for when an opponosing player needs a firm beating, but in general, you'd have to pick Mastro.

8. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR

Or Richard Mulrooney, a name curiously ignored on this thread.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I mentioned Mulrooney, back on page one of this thread. :)

Of course, his inclusion is under the proviso that his foot injuries heal completely in the coming months.

Yet with the troika of Armas, Mastroeni and Mulrooney, that's a good deal of depth.

Cheers,
    William