Are You Interested in Non-League Football?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by THFC6061, Apr 28, 2009.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Yes?

Then be sure to check-out the Non-League sections in my football stats & trivia web site.

In it you'll find information on...

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Southern League 1894-95 to 2008-09[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Northern Premier League 1968-69 to 2008-09[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Football Conference 1979-80 to 2008-09[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Simply click the following link to go to the Football League page of my site:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.myfootballfacts.com/FLeague.html[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] ​

[/FONT]

2. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice, that is a ton of work.

3. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Thanks!

Hopefully anyone with an interest in the histories of the smaller clubs will find it of value.

4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Bewdley Town!

Nice site.

5. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  6. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I'm just in the process of adding as many club badges & crest for the Non-League teams as I can find.

A few are proving to be very difficult indeed to track-down.

Those which I have for the Football Conference and the Northern Premier League have just been published on my site.

Crests for the Southern League is my next project.

I've also given Non-League Football its own dedicated section on my football site:

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Non-LeagueFootball.html

7. halifaxtown1961

halifaxtown1961 New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    It is nice to see a real fan on here.
    I am a FC HALIFAX TOWN FAN.
    Have you got all the unibond premier north & south badges ?
    I have over 200 from the premiership down to the unibond north & south

8. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Thanks for your interest HT.

I'm still in the process of updating and re-formatting the non-League section of my website.

Your assistance may well prove to be valuable.

9. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Journeymen in Non-League Football? not well paid really

BLUE SQUARE PREMIER
    Saturday August 8: AFC Wimbledon 1 Luton Town 1 (4488), Altrincham 1 Ebbsfleet
    United 1 (914), Cambridge United 0 Barrow 2 (2990), Forest Green Rovers 1
    Kettering Town 2 (1074), Gateshead 0 Histon 3 (681), Grays Athletic P Chester
    City P, Kidderminster Harriers 1 Hayes & Yeading United 0 (1471), Mansfield Town
    4 Crawley Town 0 (3264), Oxford United 2 York City 1 (6403), Rushden & Diamonds
    0 Salisbury City 2 (1272), Stevenage Borough 1 Tamworth 1 (2130), Wrexham 3
    Eastbourne Borough 0 (3726).

JOURNEYMEN FOOTBALLERS FACE PITCH BATTLE
    By Nick Harris, from The Guardian

Jerry Gill is a flexible job-seeker, and in these tough times he needs to be.
    He's a professional footballer. Forget the Community Shield at Wembley between
    Manchester United and Chelsea tomorrow. Most footballers outside the Premier
    League face an employment market that mirrors society at large; fewer jobs,
    shorter, less-secure contracts and falling pay as supply outstrips demand.

The Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), with 4000 members in England,
    says the number of out-of-contract players has risen from 500 to 600 in a
    typical summer to around 800 this year. The Scottish PFA, with 700 members,
    estimates a fifth or more have been on the move, or on their way out of the
    game. Simon Barker, a senior PFA executive, says: "Clubs have been releasing
    more players, taking fewer on and decreasing budgets. Below the Premier League,
    players are being hired on shorter contracts and lower basic pay."

The recession could make for an austere 2009-10 season, which starts today for
    non-Premier League clubs. The collapse of broadcaster Setanta has compounded the
    problem, especially in England's non-League Conference, and in Scotland's SPL.
    Setanta was a major paymaster for both.

Gill, a 38-year-old defender, has been among those looking for work. Last season
    he was a player-coach with Forest Green Rovers in the Conference Premier, the
    fifth tier of English football. Setanta's demise, two years into a five-year
    contract, will mean a shortfall in the budgets of Conference clubs of between
    GBP70,000 and GBP200,000 per season.

Colin Peake, a Conference board member and a Rovers spokesman, says: "It's not a
    secret that losing the TV deal hurt our League. "At my own club, we had a
    first-team squad of 22 last season. That will now have to drop." Gill says that
    Forest Green's playing budget will fall from around GBP400,000 per year to about
    GBP300,000. His own departure was one consequence of the fall in revenue. They
    couldn't offer me a package to stay," he says. "The manager said it was purely a
    financial decision."

Gill's CV includes a five-year spell at Birmingham City which ended with
    promotion to the Premier League in 2002. "Incomparable," he says of the spectrum
    of football lifestyles. "At Birmingham we saw masseurs on a daily basis, had the
    best lunches laid on, stayed at good hotels. On the way to my first Forest Green
    away match last season, we were on the bus to Crawley and, at about 4pm, I asked
    our manager Jim Harvey what we had planned for dinner. He just laughed and said,
    'Look around'. The lads were eating sandwiches and crisps: that was the
    pre-match meal.

"We didn't really do overnight stays, except once in Barrow, and it was a bit
    Fawlty Towers. And the wages are just not comparable. At the top, if you're
    sensible, you should be set for life when you stop. At the lower end, you need
    to have a job when you stop playing."

Footballers' pay is notoriously hard to pin down, though a survey of PFA members
    in 2006 gave the most recent reliable indication. The average basic pay of
    Premier League players was GBP676,000 per year (GBP13,000 a week), while those
    at Championship clubs earned GBP195,750 (GBP3,764 a week), and those in Leagues
    One and Two earned GBP67,850 (GBP1,305) and GBP49,600 (GBP954) respectively.

Top-level pay has continued to grow, exponentially. Elsewhere, anecdotal
    evidence suggests it might have fallen. Some basic salaries in the lower Leagues
    are as low as a few thousand pounds a year, with performance-related additions.

In Scotland, wages are highest at Celtic and Rangers but fall off rapidly,
    typically to between GBP20,000 and GBP30,000 a year, for full-time staff in the
    First Division. That figure is not dissimilar to what full-time players at
    Conference clubs in England earn, although pay packets vary widely from club to
    club.

Gill is among the majority who need to keep earning well beyond their playing
    days, and he has planned ahead. He hopes to play for a non-league club this
    season but has taken his coaching badges and last week reached the final two in
    a 110-candidate race to become the new manager of Cambridge United, before
    missing out. Management remains his aim. Gill has also been coaching youngsters
    as part of Birmingham City's football in the community scheme, and has a
    fledgling business selling sports kit by an Italian firm, Errea, in the
    Cheltenham and Gloucester areas. "I've been lucky in my career but you also make
    your own luck," he says. "I also believe if you put the work in, behave the
    right way, it'll come back to you. But this recession is a reality check for a
    lot of people. All I know is I need to work, to support my wife and two sons."

The PFA provides help and financial support for hundreds of its members each
    year to prepare them for life after playing. "We try to encourage everyone while
    still playing to take appropriate qualifications to ease them into a life after
    football," says Pat Lally, the PFA's director of education. "Outside the Premier
    League, the lads need to work after football, and that's truer than ever when
    times are this tough." Lally says the recession is harming lower-League players
    in particular. In the 2007-08 season, the PFA gave out 900 retraining or
    educational grants, a figure that jumped to 1200 in 2008-09 and which continues
    to rise.

The PFA pays GBP1500 towards any vocational course a member takes, and GBP1000 a
    year towards degree courses. The union also helps fund and run a popular course
    in sports journalism for former players, in Staffordshire, and a BSE in
    physiotherapy, available in Salford and York, among others.

Lally cites the case of Colin Murdock, a one-time Manchester United trainee
    recently released by League Two Accrington, who is being helped to study law,
    and the recent cases of Tony Bird, whose clubs included Swansea and Cardiff, and
    Gavin Peacock, once of Newcastle and Chelsea. Bird was funded to do a
    dog-grooming course and now runs a business in that field, while Peacock
    received funds to help towards his master's in divinity. "Think of an occupation
    and we've probably helped a player train for it," says Lally. "Everything from
    construction and engineering to law, medical studies and pathology."

Football's fickle nature is reflected in the situation of Sean Hessey, 30, who
    is starting the final year of a two-year deal with Macclesfield Town in League
    Two. As a boy he was in the same Liverpool youth team as England's Steven
    Gerrard and Michael Owen. As a man, he has no complaints about a 14-year
    professional career that has given him "a good living from the game" at the
    likes of Huddersfield, Kilmarnock, Blackpool and Chester. But in the first week
    of pre-season training last month he suffered an injury to his medial ligament
    in his left leg and will be unable to play for three months at least. His
    contract is secure, until next summer at least, but his situation has led him to
    think ahead. He says: "I think every day, 'What can I do when I stop playing?'
    I've never been out of work but I know guys with mortgages and families and it's
    tough."

Fraser Wishart, chief executive of PFA Scotland, says: "It's ironic, at a time
    when there's never been so much money in football, at least in the Premier
    League and the Champions League, that never have we had so many clubs in
    financial difficulties."

Barrow AFC unofficial home page: www.barrowafc.net

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Journeymen in Non-League Football? not well paid really

2583 - I wonder if that's the best weekend average for this level.

11. Nedved*

Nedved* New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bath
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a blog about following non-league side Bath City FC. It is at http://nedvedsnotes.blogspot.com/ I am an American living in England so I try to make it accessable for American readers and I also write a lot of entries on the differences between British and American sports.

12. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool.

[​IMG]
    why a pig?

13. Nedved*

Nedved* New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bath
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pig is a symbol of Bath. The legendary founder of Bath, King Bladud, found the healing waters of Bath when his pigs were wallowing in a spring.

Thanks for visiting the blog!

14. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool.

Interesting. I was wondering because nickname of the fans of the crosstown rival of my beloved Sheffield Wednesday F.C. (UP YOU MIGHTY OWLS!) is the "pigs".

15. The ASE

The ASE New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    And I spend my life looking for non-league footballers interested in giving Australian club football a go

www.ozsoccerexperience.com

16. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool. good luck.