Are you going to Heaven or Hell?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Oct 24, 2003.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The biggest surprises about this study are:
    1) Hispanics are least likely to believe in an afterlife (although this explains a Latina's penchant for screwing you like there's no tomorow)

2) Almost as many people believe in hell as in heaven.

http://www.barna.org/cgi-bin/PagePressRelease.asp?PressReleaseID=150&Reference=A

Despite the constant flux in many dimensions of Americans’ lives, a new study from the Barna Research Group of Ventura, California, shows that most people have retained surprisingly traditional views about life after death. Although the lifestyles, values, and self-perceptions of most adults have undergone significant change – and millions of Americans have embraced many elements of a postmodern worldview – the vast majority continues to believe that there is life after death, that everyone has a soul, and that Heaven and Hell exist. However, more than 50 million adults are uncertain regarding their personal eternal fate.

The Afterlife
    Belief in life after death, like the existence of God, is widely embraced: 8 out of 10 Americans (81%) believe in an afterlife of some sort. Another 9% said life after death may exist, but they were not certain. Just one out of every ten adults (10%) contend that there is no form of life after one dies on earth.

Moreover, a large majority of Americans (79%) agreed with the statement “every person has a soul that will live forever, either in God’s presence or absence.”

Evangelicals, born again Christians, and Elders (ages 58 and older) were the most likely segments to embrace the idea of life after death. Those least likely to believe in life after death were Hispanics, Busters (ages 20-38), residents of the West, atheists and agnostics, those associated with a faith other than Christianity, and unchurched adults – although more than two-thirds of each of these groups accept the existence of an afterlife.

Heaven and Hell
    The survey also explored peoples’ views of Heaven and Hell. In all, 76% believe that Heaven exists, while nearly the same proportion said that there is such a thing as Hell (71%). Respondents were given various descriptions of Heaven and asked to choose the statement that best fits their belief about Heaven. Those who believe in Heaven were divided between describing Heaven as “a state of eternal existence in God’s presence” (46%) and those who said it is “an actual place of rest and reward where souls go after death” (30%). Other Americans claimed that Heaven is just “symbolic” (14%), that there is no such thing as life after death (5%), or that they are not sure (5%).

While there is no dominant view of Hell, two particular perspectives are popular. Four out of ten adults believe that Hell is “a state of eternal separation from God’s presence” (39%) and one-third (32%) says it is “an actual place of torment and suffering where people’s souls go after death.” A third perspective that one in eight adults believe is that “Hell is just a symbol of an unknown bad outcome after death” (13%). Other respondents were “not sure” or said they that they do not believe in an afterlife (16%).

Destinations
    Most Americans do not expect to experience Hell first-hand: just one-half of 1% expect to go to Hell upon their death. Nearly two-thirds of Americans (64%) believe they will go to Heaven. One in 20 adults (5%) claim they will come back as another life form, while the same proportion (5%) contend they will simply cease to exist.

Even though most Americans believe in life after death and the existence of the soul, not everyone is clear about their own ultimate destination. One in every four adults (24%) admitted that they have ”no idea” what will happen after they die. Those who felt their eternal future is undefined were most likely to be Hispanics, singles, men, atheists and agnostics, residents of the West, and 18- and 19-year-olds (i.e., young adults who also happen to be the first members of the Mosaic generation to enter adulthood).

Among those who expect to go to Heaven, there were differences in how they anticipate such an end would be attained. Nearly half of those who say they are Heaven bound (43%) believe they will go to Heaven because they have “confessed their sins and accepted Jesus Christ as their savior.” Others felt they will get to Heaven because “they have tried to obey the 10 Commandments” (15%) or because “they are basically a good person” (15%). Another 6% believed their entrance to Heaven would be based upon the fact that “God loves all people and will not let them perish.”

One of the intriguing findings from the research is that education and income are negatively correlated with belief in Heaven and Hell. In other words, the more education a person gets or the more income they earn, the less likely they are to believe that Heaven or Hell exists. While most high-income households and college graduates maintain belief in Heaven and Hell, the finding reinforces the popular notion – and, indeed, Jesus’ teaching – that people of economic means and those with considerable education struggle to embrace biblical teachings on such matters.

The New Views

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is a hell - and I don't think such a thing exists (nor heaven or G-d, for that matter) - as a lapsed Catholic my reservation with Mephistopheles has been confirmed.

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think there's such a thing as hell or heaven.

But if there is I'm pretty sure it will be hell. Can't say I'd agree with it though. I vaguely seem to know something about us being judged on our actual actions instead of our thoughts about stuff we've done (which should count IMHO)

But I really think rotting away and having worms and maggots eat the flesh of my bones is as afterlife as it gets.

4. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Don't know.

5. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I thought this was hell?

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now is that literally or figuratively speaking?

7. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either you're healthy or your sick.
    If you're healthy, there's no need to worry.
    If you're sick, either you'll live or you'll die.
    If you live, there's no need to worry.
    If you die, either you'll go to heaven or you'll go to hell.
    If you go to heaven, there's no need to worry.
    If you go to hell, you'll be too busy shaking hands to worry.
    ;)

Since I don't believe knowledge exists before or without perception and that the mind is at the most fundamental level a particularly interesting set of electro-chemical reactions, "I" am not going anywhere. "I" will no longer exist at the moment of my death.

As a half-WASP, half-Jew raised in New Hampshire, I was taught that life will rarely come out in my favor (and if I had any doubts about that, there's always the RedSox, ManCity, the Revs, etc), but it surely beats the alternative.

8. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Re: Re: Are you going to Heaven or Hell?

I was engaged to a salvadorena and I can honestly say both.

9. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    Probably end up inhell....but at least I'll be with my frieinds

10. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    I think that's up for Christ to decide.

11. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you forgot to include the ;) in this one.

12. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    I guess someone isn't familiar with the last judgement. Oh well.

13. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    What if he's a muslim. Did Jesus decide that too?

14. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Well if he's a Muslim then he has his own take on the afterlife. I mean that's what this thread is about right?

15. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so you're serious. And you wonder why you're not taken seriously on these boards? Next time, try pretending your own private world view isn't absolute reality.

16. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    So then why did you tell him it's up for Christ to decide?

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allah's on vacation that week, so Christ said he'd fill in.

18. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    Mr. MFT

Wow...relax...

Your comments remind me of a line from "Dogma"...The Muse says ( I paraphrase) " " You Cathokics don't celebrate your religion, you mourn it"

Lighten up Francis

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the thread could vote in the poll, it would choose the 2nd option?

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like where this thread is going.... it stays open!

21. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    It's obvious the thread is a Buddhist so it would vote for reincarnation. It's already had it's subject changed three times.

22. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Really. If you think about it. You did the same thing manny did with this post. Hmmm...

23. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.
    Manny was talking as if whatever brand of Christianity he prefers is absolute reality in the way 2+2=4 is absolute reality. There is only a Christ figure waiting to judge your soul and your life if you believe that is so. And if you believe that, there is really no point in discussing religion, even in a humorous fashion, with someone who doesn't.

24. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    But, if you refute Manny's belief that his view is absolute reality, you are in effect telling us your view on his view is absolute reality.

25. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, my friends am immortal, and the proof is in the statistics. Of all the days I've been alive, I haven't been dead for one of them. So basic probabilty states that I never will die.