Are we set?

Discussion in 'Reading FC' started by mschofield, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, after one match (and I figure on through the end of the month), we've got the chance to assess the team we've got and add if needed. Copps has said he would add if needed.
    So, is it needed? Probably a better discussion after the weekend, not only three games in, but one against a side we can compete with, shoulder to shoulder.
    Of course, we need to see Fae in a real match first, but the assumption has to be the center mid is full. If we learned anything from the first match, it's that the defense is stacked, and Marcus is healthy and ready to go.
    So, wings and strikers? Do we need to add a body? Is Seol/Oster enough on the right? Will that eventually be Fae (meaning cm isn't full)? Convey/Hunt on the left is nice combo, but is it high enough quality?
    One game in, and our "great four" is down to two. Do we need one more, or is Cox enough?
    As I said, probably too early to say anything right now, but more than anything else, the right wing concerns me. If Little is coming back before the end of the year, I'm obviously much less concerned, but I don't sense good news on that front.

2. whipsmart13

whipsmart13 New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Fishers IN
    We need a right winger....Sulky just did not do much against Man U and seems to do all of his talking off the field to the Korean press. Another right winger would allow us to have depth at the LW position (I still worry about Convey coming back) with Sulky able to provide another body there.

I think we need to get another striker and loan out Long to a Championship team. He needs to play 1st team soccer at that level to get some confidence. I do not like Kitson up front and think that we'll have an injury up front to one of the big three.

3. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has any team under coppell ever had the prototypical target forward? reading did pretty well rotating three in and out for a long time (didnt SKH line up there too occasionally?) until kitson returned, but i still wonder if its enough. people kept talking at how shane long may be loaned out and if thats even a remote possibility we need another striker--someone with the height of kitson but stronger i would think. 'course i agree another option would be add'l cover for SKH/Oster. SKH got knocked off the ball and went to ground way too often against man yoo--i thought he would have learned that lesson last year.