Are we ready for Olympics?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by casocrfan, Jun 24, 2008.

1. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin

Do we have any upcoming players on the youth teams that look promising in the mid that might get a call up after the Olympics? I agree with others who have said that between the time Pia got hired and the Olympics, there wasn't too much she could do, roster wise, that she didn't already do. I'm thinking after the Olympics, we'll see some changes being made.

2. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    No argument there, but there are many times when you must hold the ball, if even for a few seconds. In the past as soon as someone was "on" Wagner, which certainly can happen in a few seconds, she had problems. I think every coach knew that if you put a body Wagner she can be neutralized. All that said, if anyone can school her, it will be Pia. To have Wagner overcome such deficits and retain her supreme passing ability would be an enormous plus for the USA .

3. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    From early evaluations, Pia has my vote of confidence of being a good teacher. Hucles, Lloyd and Wagner all seem to be playing much better under her than previous coaches. That's very encouraging. My biggest fear is that once the games start Pia will be afraid to make adjustments and changes just like Ryan did at the WC. It's not easy to pull a struggling veteran player, or to switch up your style of play when the pressure is on. I hope she can, but it does concern me.

4. yellowdog

yellowdog New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    I think Pia has done a pretty good job of making halftime adjustments, for what it is worth. I mean, just looking at the last handful of games (the Australia friendlies, Canada, and then the Peace Cup) the US scored the majority of their goals in the 2nd half, including 5 against canada and 3 against australia in the friendlies...

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Actually, I think Ryan lost his job for the changes he DID make, not the changes he didn't - the Solo-Scurry substitution wasn't the only one.

Being down a goal and bringing in a defender instead of an offensive player was one of the strangest things I've ever seen a coach do, especially when he pushed everyone forward and left the lone defender exposed to the counters that inevitably came.

sometimes being willing to switch things up is just as much desperation as not being willing to switch. The key is knowing when to switch, and for the right reasons.

6. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    dont forget a lack of sub's either. Ive never seen anything like that.

7. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I remember how everyone was on Hucles' case about how she needed to be cut and all of that. Now she's on quite a run.

8. curvedpentagon

curvedpentagon New Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Agree with the general concensus that the current weakest point in the US's game is the ball distribution from the midfield and the transition game. However, I think that pia will address this and that the solution will come from utilizing the flanks quite a bit in the Olympics- doing so will help to open up the middle, and everyone seems to agree that the forwards are looking pretty good.

I expect the in the Olympics that there will be ALOT of play down the flanks and that O'Reilly, Tarpley, and perhaps Tobin Heath will be crucial in making the attack. They don't get as much press as the goal scoring forwards, but they'll be the keys to success in China. These players historically have not put the ball in the net as much because at least in my opinion never really been used effectively up front. In the past, the strategy was "dump the ball up front to abby" with HAO and Tarp as these quasi central/often wing players- didn't make a ton of sense to me - do one or the other - either put them up front as goal scorers, or on the flank as playmakers to burn the defense+ cross or the occasional breakaway- i think pia's approach (the latter, as those players as outside middies) makes a lot more sense. Look for them to make it rain in the Olympics. In fact, I predict that pia already has that planned as a crucial component of the offense in china. You may not even see a lot of it leading up in some of the remaining games as she may be working on tweaking other parts of the offense.

9. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I agree as well. I think the important thing is that Pia seems to be really trying to address the issues as well which is so important

The first half was sort of a battle and the movement off the ball was not that good. We didn’t find the rhythm. At halftime, I talked to (center midfielders) Boxx and Carli and I think they started to run and get the movement of the ball going a little bit better

I also think its so good that we are seeing scoring from SO MANY different players. We have so many players who can put the ball in the back of the net. And Pia seems to be pushing more of them to shoot. Hucles said Pia talked to her before the game and told her she should try to take more shots. The more players that get that confidence to strike, the harder it will be to defend against this team. Our defense is solid. We just have to get better at maintaining possession in midfield and transition from defense to offense and vice versa. As time has gone on I am just feeling a lot better about where we are going with this and I am confident we will be ready.

Given the short period of time we have had to prepare after all the changes, I do not think one could ask much more out of these players.

PS
    As to fitness, I think part of the issue is the US players are not used to playing so many games, but in reality a lot of players abroad are playing a TON for their club teams in addition to their national team. I do not think they will burn out, I just think that for many of them, they are not used to it. But that is part of the process. What is good for us is that we have such a deep bench right now and with all the playing time Pia has given them all I think we can get the job done regardless of who is out there.