Are we going to have a Fall Season?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Jul 17, 2020.

?

Will we have a Fall 2020 Season

1. Yes

45.0%
  2. No

10.0%
  3. Partial

30.0%
  4. Other

15.0%
  1. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I think a league season will be much easier for policymakers and skeptical parents to swallow than tournaments. It’s just less people in one place at a time. You can schedule games so that there’s little overlap

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Around here (northern CA) the youth rec leagues cancelled the fall season. The comp leagues are having training sessions (and I think on the down-low they are having scrimmages). My kid will start a fall season soon (10 weeks). I have no idea what it entails though; I think it is still in flux.

3. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Fixed it for you. ;)

Kids HAVE died from Covid complications. Yes, in small numbers, but they have.
    Kids HAVE passed along the disease to adults, but that's not really a factor in what I responded to.
    And where did I say anything about keeping families locked down for the next 10 years? Way to use hyperbole as an argument that wasn't even being made. And that's not a factor in what I responded to.

My point, that you keep ignoring, is that local/regional leagues games should be safer than going to tournaments. Game times and locations can be more easily spread out, meaning you don't have as much interaction with others. That was my only point. Why you're bringing up families being locked down for 10 years is beyond me.

5. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Is there any actual evidence to substantiate a closure of youth leagues? I have not seen any. Most of what I have seen says the virus is mainly transmitted indoors, where there is little distancing. So bars, churches, etc.
    MLS, USL, European leagues are playing. So we have empirical data. What does it say?
    A family can get on a 4 hour flight across the country but kids can't play a 1 hours soccer game outdoors in the hot sun? Nothing makes sense.
    I've been playing soccer every week since Jan with no issues. If anything, playing soccer outside will only make us better equipped to fight the virus. Anything we can do to increase our health and immune system we should do. Staying inside watching netflix and playing video games and then venturing out to walmart does not sound like a very good plan to fight a virus. Overall people have gained weight during the pandemic. Only makes us more susceptible to complications.

6. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I think soccer can be played safety. I think there's more danger by the parents on the sidelines.

BUT, you can't honestly compare professional leagues (with all of the testing resources and availability to be in a "bubble" (MLS)) with your local league.

And, that four hour flight across the country includes:
    * No yelling
    * Everyone wearing masks
    * Social distancing
    So are you OK with implementing all of that on a soccer pitch?

I mean come on, if you want to make comparisons, at least try to compare apples to apples.

Now, you admit you've been playing soccer outside weekly... so, get some kids together and let them play.

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    But on the plane there is not much distance. Depends on the flight and on the airline. Sometimes the flight is full. But even when not, usually there is someone in front or behind you.
    On soccer pitch I don't think you need masks. Outdoors the virus is of little threat due to sunlight, heat, and dissipation in open air.

I play with my kid daily. He is getting very good. I think he is not losing any ground.

8. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Except at least some airlines are blocking off seats to aid in social distancing. And yes, I think kids can play soccer. But, I'm not convinced fans are needed. And again, my point was solely that IMO league games would be safer IMO than tournaments.

Not one person has debated that. You're just interested in "we can play soccer dammnit!", when I never said we shouldn't.

Oh, and before someone makes the argument about parents NEEDING to be at the games b/c transportation... that doesn't mean they need to stay by the pitch. :)

9. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    My son's team participated in a tournament this weekend. They "strongly recommended" only 1 spectator per player (our team generally complied) but didn't really enforce it. Each team had a sideline for the team and it's spectators, unlike the usual set up of both teams on one sideline and all spectators on the other, so there'd be less mixing between groups. Plenty of space for people to spread out. Less time than usual between games (they played 8am and 10:30am) and no concessions or food trucks, so there wasn't much lingering around. Seemed like a decent setup.

10. girlssoccernewbie12

girlssoccernewbie12 New Member

Portland
    United States
    Apr 11, 2019
    What tournament was it and where was it located? Sounds like some states allow this and others will not.

11. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Our HS games started Tuesday night. Temperature checks for everyone entering the facility. Must wear masks (not the players on the field).

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  12. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my daughter's games started last week. Both benches are on different sides and one spectator per player (also not strictly enforced). My son's high school is still doing practices (games start on a delay of October 1) in cohorts of 10. They'll jump up to 15 on Sept.18th. Football has been cancelled, but protests have sprung up and now the Governor is working in meetings with the Department of Public Health and the CIAC (CT Interscholactic Athletic Conference) to determine if football could proceed in a different manner, different rules, but in some way.