Are we going to have a Fall Season?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Jul 17, 2020.

?

Will we have a Fall 2020 Season

1. Yes

45.0%
  2. No

10.0%
  3. Partial

30.0%
  4. Other

15.0%
  1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Starting to doubt it frankly - at least an entire season...

2. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    I think they will have their league games....but tournaments will be scaled back, little to no travel more than an hour away, maybe more friendlies to help offset the refund amounts parents will expect. It will be better than the spring.

As long as everyone in the state continues to use masks in close public settings, I feel like the spread will decrease and sports will be allowed to continue.

3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    1) Depends on the age group. DS (U18) and DD (U15) won't have a fall club season, but they wouldn't have one even if covid never happened.
    2) Some areas are doing "better" than others and can handle games.
    3) Some areas don't care about how they're doing, so everything is going back to normal anyway.

4. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    School sports likely f*cked. Teachers unions are in control.
    Call/email your district board members and demand schools open, and sports!
    No reason to hold up club sports as all the restore illinois measures look fine.
    No scientific reason that is...

5. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    We have a 5 game Super Y season starting this weekend. Baseball and softball started games last weekend. Assuming there aren't any issues, that will got a long way towards getting people comfortable and I think we'll have a normal Fall league season. Doubtful on tournaments.

6. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 TheKraken, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    I don't see why we wouldn't have a club season. Baseball has been in full swing for weeks, including big tournaments. I personally know people who have gone to Florida, Georgia, and Virginia for baseball tourneys, so I would think soccer tourneys would be OK too. Up north might be different though. Fall school sports are doubtful here still like a lot of other places.

7. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ihsa supposedly considering moving some fall sports to an abbreviated spring season. Club sent survey to h s. Aged boys asking intentions... this could really jumble things up.
    Ihsa has board meeting Wednesday. Ihsa has deferred to Illinois dept of health guidelines, which had tightened restrictions because covid cases have trended upward..
    None of this is warranted if you look at the numbers for this age group and the latest research regarding young people and the disease...
    Total bollocks.
    Illinois is a total joke.

8. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Please tell us more, Mr. Science....:rolleyes:

9. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say partial. It'll start, but once we get some positive results from students the powers that be will shut it all down. And positive results (from any student) is inevitable

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Nope for Illinois.

11. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Illinois middle school sports (not soccer) are now partially back on after the initial decision to shut them down entirely, so who knows? I noticed some park districts in my area canceling fall seasons but promising some kind of substitute.

Hoping my son's HS will take advantage of the state allowing it to practice through the fall even though the season is now set for the spring. I'm afraid club soccer's going to end up being like the wild west up here with some doing little or nothing while others cross state lines to play in less-restricted states (which will force some hard decisions in my house about the relative importance of club soccer, the importance of the spot my son has earned on his club team, odds of college soccer being in his future and at what level, ...).

I'll be really curious to see what happens with basketball this winter, too, on all levels. I live in basketball country, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the person who decides that, yep, it's just fine to put kids and coaches in gyms this winter (or to be the guy who calls it off). Anyone up for some 15- or 20-degree outdoor hoops if we can get the ice off the court?

12. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Our (Kentucky) HS plans are as follows:

Teams can start official practices on August 24 (normally July 15).
    First competitions can start Sept. 7.
    Max 14 regular season games.
    Playoffs (districts, regionals, state) postponed one week. (ending 1st week in November instead of last week in October).

Our club team plans are as follows:
    Practice starts around the end of October (depends on who is still playing HS). We'll have a couple state premier league games and possibly go to a Showcase (apparently the Showcase has said if it cancels, it will only refund 50% of the cost).
    In the spring, we'll play in the Great Lakes Regional club v club competition, and go to a couple of Showcases.

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Looks like Illinois MRL for H/S girls will likely be in the Spring as high school soccer for girls is now scheduled for Summer. I'm down with this!

14. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    What happens with state cup? Midwest Regionals? Have to think some kids might skip the summer high school season to play regionals or prepare for fall D1 soccer.

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah - nothing is solid yet. Hope it works out though.

16. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I'm jealous -- hope they're able to pull that off. Most of Illinois' fall HS sports seasons are pushed back to spring (boys soccer usually plays in the fall, girls spring), and his club soccer season will be practices only. He'll switch over and run cross country for his school (very limited schedule) and do whatever his club team does.

All that said, I'm thankful there's something for him.

18. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not holding my breath thinking it'll work. I'm guessing it all depends on how the schooling goes. We are doing a hybrid solution. My son will go Monday and Thursday physically in school. The other half goes Tuesday and Friday. We use "distance learning" for everyone on Wednesday and on the days you aren't in school. If the virus spreads in the school then I'd expect sports to be cancelled or postponed til Spring.

19. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, seems now we may not have a true club season in the fall. They are instead going with more tournaments and adding one-off scrimmages against other clubs who want to play. Anyone else seeing this type of "season" unfolding?

21. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    How does that help anything? At least if you're playing in a local league AND you don't have a breakout in your state, I could see that being safe(r). Going to tournaments just brings teams from other areas (where there are possible hotspots).

22. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried about that. The death and hospitalization numbers just don't merit the mass hysteria from the mainstream media.

87sam78 and smontrose repped this.
  24. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Wouldn't that depend on where you are? And who you're playing against?

So far 177K people have died b/c of covid since February. Only cancer and heart disease kill more people in a YEAR.

Do I think we should all huddle in our homes waiting for a supposed vaccine? No. Do I want to see my kids play? Of course. Do I think we say "everything is fine, go back to normal"? NO.

ETA: You still didn't answer my question... how is playing in tournaments safer than playing in a league?

25. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed that for you.

I don't know if it's safer or not, but the fact is that everyone will get COVID eventually. Kids are not dying from it. Kids don't readily pass it to adults either. If some want to keep their families locked down for the next 10 years then they are free to do that to themselves. The rest of us are going to move on with life.

NewDadaCoach and smontrose repped this.