Are we doing enough with young talent? New list says no

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by mschofield, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The short list to make the MLS top 24 players under 24 years of age includes 50 players. Medranda is one, and deservedly so.
    But he's the only SKC player to make the short list.
    Now, this could mean several things. It could be a bad list. This could simply be an off year. Our talent could all be bunched at 25. Porter was injured or could well have made that list. Etc.
    But what it also could mean is that we need to be doing more with young talent. Are we developing players? When we do, are we giving them enough of a chance to prove themselves?
    As we know, SKC is never going to compete with the Toronto and NYCFC for top shelf talent.
    But both TFC and NYCFC have four young players on that list (including one we released). Are they doing a better job than we are with young talent?
    We have the same number of players on the list as LAG, but their overall player spending 6x ours.
    To compete, we have to be better with youth than the richer clubs, don't we?
    This list is a bit disturbing, though mostly because it re-enforces a feeling that we're losing our narrative.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the one thing you're not looking at with this is SPR, where KC has a number of players under 24 on the roster, three of which have been called up to SKC (and a fourth would have if he didn't tear his ACL). You have Didic, Ualefi, and Pasher all 21-23 years old, and then you have Oliveira, who was #2 on the USL's list of 20 under 20 this season. If he hadn't torn his ACL, I guarantee he's on the roster for at least the CCL games.

So basically while we don't have many on the list in MLS, it seems to me that KC is trying to transition to using the Rangers as that base to develop players.

Couple other thoughts on the list:

It's also only one because EPB is out on loan not playing in MLS this season (he was on the list last year).

And does NYCFC really get credit for developing Lopez? I mean he's spent one season there, and while he's on the list I've still yet to see any sort of real development out of him.

Does NYCFC get credit for Matarrita, who they just picked up this year as well?

Hallisey has been just a straight failure as a first round pick, he's in the age group to be on the list, and considering how much he's played and his absence on the list while Lopez made it just annoys me.

To answer your question, are we giving them enough chances I felt Lopez at least got enough time to try to impress while here and really failed worse than Hallisey to impress any sort of meaningful contribution on the team.

We do have a fair share of players under 23, 7, with another 2 out on loan, but a couple have just joined SKC, Appiah, Joya, Porter.

mschofield repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Solid points. and I really don't believe you can fault a club for trying with a player who eventually fails. Sometimes it just doesn't work.
    I was thinking more along the lines of are we giving younger players enough of a shot with SKC, but the SPR point is good, though don't most clubs have USL sides now?
    My overall concern is whether we're becoming more a mid-career, middle of the road club. Experienced, sometimes quite talented if a bit flawed. A team that can grind out a very solid season. But maybe can't really turn it up to 11. But then there is EPB. Will we see him again? Hope so.

4. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    24 is kind of old. By the age of 24 you should be an established pro. I don't this feature.