Are we better or worse, WTF is going on - Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    without a doubt. there are way more positives than negatives. he sees runners and available passes. i'll take THAT all day and everyday.

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to be U23 fodder. He’ll never play regularly for the first team but we might sell him in 3 years for a small profit.

daedalus repped this.
  3. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Chambers is that slow in a sprint, but he isn’t quick on the turn. To his credit, he seems to have learned a lot about how to deal with that shortcoming.

Idk, I think he’s a good player. Would I rather have a more powerful athlete at right back? Sure, but that’s true of much of our team. On the other hand, if all this speculation around Arteta looking to utilize a hybrid ‘inverted’ right back is true, Chambers’s ball skills and height are a good fit.

daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I believe the tweet I saw saying Arsenal liked him and will continue to follow him came after the negotiations for White were essentially complete, I also saw rumors of interest in him before I saw any rumors about White. The initial asking price was upwards of £70m and that may have focused Arsenal’s interest on White. He’s a very good center back, possibly. maybe even probably better than White. He’s certainly better in the air than White.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were possible I'd like to see us sell Hector & Cedric, and then buy a Tierney-level good RB (for presumably more $), and let Chambers be the backup. Anyone else who deputize as RB can be our depth beyond that.

But that's probably a long pipe dream, especially the selling Cedric part.

6. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    #2381 CarlosKaiser, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    More rumors of Odegaard. It really wouldn't surprise me if we get down to deadline day and Madrid decide they want to offload him and that's what Arteta and Edu are waiting on. Hopefully it would come at a cut-rate price because he isn't worth £60m. Something like £35m might be good business.

Agree with today's Arsecast, I don't see a RB signing and I don't see Abraham. No interest in Lacazette and I can't see a striker coming in unless he leaves.

James/Gunnerblog said he thinks the Ramsdale deal will be structured such that Arsenal pay Sheff United about £20m-ish up front to cover what they spent to buy him from Bournemouth, and that there would be add-ons to take it to £30m-ish that only kick in if Ramsdale becomes the Arsenal's #1 keeper.

CM is still the big unknown to me. Maybe they need to get the Xhaka deal over the line or move Torreira (zero rumors on that front) before they are willing to buy. I would think if Neves was the guy, we'd be hearing more about the deal progressing and bids being made.

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    honestly, if we're able to buy him for 1M and let him be U23 fodder for 3 years to get his HG tag before spinning him for 5-10, that's great business.

8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    as you said, he has shown that his straight sprints is more than capable.

he's also the one person we've put at right-back who has shown the ability to repeat delivering a good final ball on purpose since . . . . . . . . . hell, eboue? lauren?

Super Llama repped this.
  9. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Definitely not Lauren :ROFLMAO:

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    my bad.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    an actual 6?! don't play with my heart like that.

just watched a video of him and, i'm not comparing them as players, but the way he receives the ball and turns on defenders and how the ball seems stuck to his feet while he eats up ground really made me think of diaby.

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The rumours are Madrid badly want Mbappe and Mbappe badly wants Madrid, Varane to ManU for 50mil, maybe we get Odegaard for 35mil, that gives them 85, maybe they lay off another few to get that number upto 100mil and PSG could budge on it.

daedalus repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wait, just watching tifo and they are saying brighton is looking at edsonne edouard for 20?!?!?!?!? if he's available for 20, why are we even considering abraham for 40? is abraham THAT much better?!?!?

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Madrid problem is payroll - they have to exit players to get under the salary cap which has been reduced heavily by Covid hits to the top line

daedalus repped this.
  15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lets throw everything we got that them.

Lacazette + Bellerin + Torreira + cash :ROFLMAO:

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports out of France that Willock is talking to Monaco about a potential move.

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Newcastle interested in Boubacar Kamara. Sounds like in addition to and not instead of Willock. Not sure where they suddenly found the money. But if it is actually an either/or, Arsenal should sign Kamara to force them to buy Willock.

Also possible I've terribly overrated Kamara if he's going to have to settle for a move to Newcastle.

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just went and watched some video to get a refresher on Kamara. Not sure he fits what Arteta wants in a CM/DM. He is a bit on the small side (5'10" but thin) but plays like an old school mobile #6. Has some decent passing range but saw no difficult progressive passes and nothing to indicate that he would be press resistant. Think he may be best in a press & counter team who needs that destroyer #6 breaking up the opposing team and releasing to the MF/FWs quickly.

Also curious why Newcastle all of a sudden has cash for him but have been too poor to buy Willock.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #2395 casoccerdad47, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Because even though he is only 21, Kamara has been a regular starter for Marseille for three seasons, who can play as either a center back or a defensive midfielder.

Edit: I just went back and watched a highlight video too and he may be thin, but it looks like plays a physical game.

21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Zakaria, that he would be a descent squad player. He missed over 8 months due to a knee injury, but even after coming back, he only started 15 of the final 27 matches for Gladbach. He didn't start over Xhaka for Switzerland, I'm not sure he is the guy to replace him at Arsenal.

Like casoccerdad said, Kamara is only 21. Is it crazy to think he could be as good a player as Partey in 7 years? And rumored to go to Newcastle for £12m when he is valued at £33m on transfermarkt. For the same age with more experience in a tougher league and at a lower price, Edu and Arteta better be right to pass him up for Lokonga - I don't think the club's going to sign both.

Has Camavinga to United gone cold or are they just waiting on Pogba to move?

Given the affordability of Aouar and Kamara, how much would Lyon need for Caqueret? I've always been more impressed with him than Aouar, but he's tiny. Torreira-sized but with far superior touch and passing. His #1 comp on FBref is Kante. If size is a deal-breaker for Arteta, I probably shouldn't even bring him up.

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my impression of him is from a 2-3 years ago after Xhaka left and I saw several games where he is a beast. Hadn't seen him lately. Sounds like he could come cheap but you are taking a risk on him regaining form.

As I said before, I don't think Kamara is a good enough passer for Arteta but if the goal is a 4-3-3, he could be the ideal #6 to allow you 2 more offensive 8/10 types. And if he is legit going for 12m, that is a flier you should take purely for the positional versatility and age.

RE Lokonga... he seems to really like to come deep but I have heard several journos/analysts claim that they believe he could develop into a very good 8/8.5. So it is conceivable that Kamara & Lokonga could play in the same MF long term.

Not heard anything for a couple weeks. Heard a few days ago that they were talking to Neves now. May be one of those deals where you need to sit back and wait until later in the window.

I don't see them letting Caqueret go. He is young, an academy prospect and seems to be happy at Lyon (for now). Worth keeping an eye on considering he has only 2 yrs left on his deal right now.

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports out of Italy that Roma's purchase of Xhaka is "on standby". Mourinho is insisting they buy him but at the moment Roma do not have the cash to make an adequate offer. They need 1-2 outgoing sales before they can proceed.