Are we better or worse, WTF is going on - Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    White, lokonga, a new keeper isn’t bad if hector can’t be moved and xhaka can’t be moved

2. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Unfortunately, it is not parody. I saw it on Wheatley's timeline after he retweeted it.

New signing! Athletic saying 18 year old Mika Biereth from Fulham. Scored 21 goals in 21 U18 matches last year. Probably a replacement striker for the U23's since Moller appears to be going on loan and Balogun has been promoted.

Tonerl repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The operative word here may be “contention”, Chambers is the one that has been supplying end product in the preseason.

What it does suggest is that they aren’t going to sign a right back this summer.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As relatively well as Chambers finished the season, he still makes me nervous. As does Cedric. And waiting a full year, or even til January to improve on our RB rotation seems fairly likely to come back to haunt us. Pray I'm wrong.

cantona94 repped this.
  5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not saying its the right thing to do but given our current depth at the position and the number of other areas that need addressing, i get why it is what we ARE gonna do.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than Chambers & Cedric, who else figures into our depth at RB? Tavares??

7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, Tavares is two-footed. For the time being, there's also AMN.

8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I’m not concerned about our RB depth, I’m worried that whoever we have as a starter is plainly not good enough.

To me RB is a bigger first XI hole than anything except the Xhaka spot

9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    And there’s White who played there once or twice last season, including against Arsenal. In addition, his regular role was a hybrid RCB/RB in a three man defense.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha!!!!!!

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I had thought of White, but is he an Arsenal player yet? I'm semi-serious about this. Not counting chickens and all.

All that not withstanding, I think Lama's point about not having anyone at RB who is really good, in a dedicated way (like we do with KT at LB) is significant issue that should be a priority to solve.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get it and I can't disagree. However, we have to manage the overall roster and prioritize based on needs, incoming & outgoing.

I specifically mentioned depth because on our current roster we have Chambers, Cedric, Bellerin & AMN that can all play RB. Chambers can also play CB but given our depth there he likely wont. AMN can play MF but in all likelihood we sell him. Given our fixtures this season, it is highly unlikely we need more than 2 RB on the roster. Until Bellerin is sold it is incredibly unlikely we buy a RB. And I think we most likely do not unless Bellerin & Cedric are moved.

Super Llama repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Lots of these deals will be contingent

e.g if Bellerin goes, then i presume they buy a RB

But it may not be possible to shift the dross players

Super Llama repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    After Arsenal committed £50m to the Ben White transfer either Romano or Ornstein, I’m not sure which one, reported that Arsenal like Edmond Tapsoba and will continue to monitor him. I’m speculating here, but since Tapsoba is a £60m to £70m rated RCB, this doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense, unless Arteta is converting to three at the back or is considering the possibility that White might eventually be a long term solution at right back.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Should lock in an 8th place finish

mebeSajid and thebigman repped this.
  16. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure that is a legit rumor but I would love Zakaria. Though I think he fits better as #6 in a 4-3-3.

18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are supposedly looking at another bargain player from Portugal...

18yo W/AM Matchoi Djalo

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't know much about dude beyond this video but, if they like him, they need to just get it done so he can qualify HG.

20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is 18 now and his B-day isn't until April. If he comes in this summer he would be HG. Also, the rumors I saw said he would only cost 1m GBP.

maskito and daedalus repped this.
  21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I looked at the late-hour Tapsoba stuff as part of the White negotiations. I do not think White is being bought to play as an RB, and the Saliba loan makes it plain that we are not planning to play three at the back

Credit to Cal, his final balls are excellent, but his lack of pace makes me very nervous. I’ve seen the movie of him up against an out-and-out winger and I didn’t enjoy it. Cedric is a wasteman, to me

22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If somebody could convince AMN that his future is at RB I would be all for him as the presumptive starter. As far as I can tell, that ship has sailed

cantona94 and Tonerl repped this.
  23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    watching that video, i can see why you could be excited. he has some of the intelligence and lack of fear that i really like in saka.

my only fear would be that his control can become loose - causing him to have to chase the ball back - and, between being brown and playing for arsenal, he's going to get the wilshere-type of injuries with people lunging at his ankles, if not fully diaby'ed.

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At his age and the rumored price, I'd take a flier and let him spend a year with the u19s/23s to see if some of those flaws can be tightened up.

25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    holy shit, that seems like an easy decision and no question buy to me, what- or whoever else comes in this window.