Are we better or worse, WTF is going on - Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jan window is over. Might as well start talking about the summer...

• Luiz is currently set to be a FA
    • Laca, Eddie, Chambers & El Neny will have 12 months (unless we extend before then)
    • Dani & Odegaard will be heading back to Real and likely not returning.
    • Ryan's loan will end and he could be back (should he?)
    • Barring any related deals Duezy, Lucas, Willock, Saliba, Kola, Mavro & AMN all return from loan
    Still looks like lots of business that will need to go down this summer to offload surplus, loan out young un's that need experience and bring in guys to improve the squad.

So let the rumors and discussion begin. Ill add my current thoughts by position in the next day or so.

2. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    add Balogun to that list.of players to sort out.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

Digital Fascism!

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We thinned the squad down and know which players we desperately need - e.g a high quality 6 or 8

But clearly we still have a huge number of first team squad / fringe players who we need to sell to raise ££. Hopwfully the expected Vaxx boom is going to hit in the spring, and with the promise of open stadiums next season we can start to recover some investments - looking at the list below there are some decent assets there. In normal times you might raise more than 100m from them easy.

5. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'd like to give Duezy a chance, but I would understand if someone put the cash on the table it be hard not to take. I also think Saliba is a player we should hold on to.

I'm agnostic about the rest, except AMN who we should just sell it looks like.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's unrealistic to sell all of them in one window - so it will depend on who we can get cash for I guess

7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For the summer, we definitely need to add both XI quality and depth. We all know the XI positions we need to improve. In terms of depth, both rotation LB and backup GK are needed, ideally HG.

We need to stay away from the Willians of this world, and make better use of less tapped markets.

AEAAFC96 and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am not happy with Willian's body language

9. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    In answer to the thread question, I think we are the same. We have got rid of some dross and brought in other dross that we can't shift. Most players are mediocre or stupid, ergo, not really any good players, I include Aubu in the latter because he's been rubbish this season. We still need a good few, better players in, and we have others ready to wind down their contracts and leave for a free so they get a handsome salary at their next club as Ramsey did. Groundhog day, more like Groundhog year.

By the way, what did that little critter say about winter the other day?

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I guess I am more glass half full?

The emergence of Saka and ESR has saved our arses.

IMO the defence looks far better. Tierney is elite IMO, and suddenly was have a functional CB pairing and a good keeper. Hector IMO is the weakest of them but not terrible. Central Midfield we still lack a quality 6 but we know about that.

Pepe and Willian are mediocre but the emergence of Saka, Martinelli and ESR kind of resolves the front 3 given Auba is decent and we have Laca as a workhorse.

I am now resigned to just losing a bunch of money on Laca while we develop Martinelli

It is critical we buy a decent 6/8 in the summer, and we need to sell some of our assets - otherwise their contracts will wind down and we get nothing for them

11. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I forgot Tierney, mainly because he's injured, I saw that he had picked up another injuury whilst being injured. I am worried that he's going to be a bit of a scknote, other than that he is class. I forgot about Saka, ESR and Martinelli all three have bags of potential, the rest meh. Leno is ok but what he did on Tuesday was a bit stupid.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We may need to buy ode if we can, ceballos can go back

We also need a back up lb which may come through the youth, a good reserve keeper, a quality deep lying passer and mobile cm

13. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a deputy RB also, correct?

14. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I could see any of the following as possible needs:

new backup GK to replace Ryan
    backup LB
    upgrade RB and sell Bellerin
    new right-sided CB
    new CM to replace Ceballos
    upgrade CM and sell Xhaka
    new AM to replace Odegaard
    sell Pepe and buy replacement
    sell Laca and buy replacement

Since all 9 won't happen, Bellerin and Xhaka are probably staying. Pepe looked like he had no future until a couple weeks ago, I'd expect him to stay now. LB should be cheap or an academy kid (Lopez?). CB could/should be Saliba, but if not, could be an expensive signing. If you trust ESR, replacing Odegaard could be cheap or a loan. No need to spend too much on GK, hopefully find a homegrown option (Raya?).

I think Laca needs to go due to his contract and age. Buy a striker or buy a wing and play Martinelli and Auba centrally more often. But the big money should go to a CM that fights with Xhaka to start alongside Partey.

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    With this start and four months to build up our hopes for the summer window, there is a real danger any business next summer will be anticlimactic.

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite Arteta voicing his desire to move to a 4-3-3, I think such a move (full time) is likely 2-3 seasons away given our past spending habits and the number of changes that would be needed so for now I am going to assume we stick with a 4-2-3-1 and assess accordingly. My breakdown by position (available players next to each position is based on current roster as well as players loaned with no buy clause)...

GK - Leno & Runarsson
    Runarsson needs to go. He is not good enough to keep around and take up a non-HG spot. Need to replace him with an academy kid and find a legit #2. Ryan could be retained but it would have to be cheap. Would rather someone younger and HG like David Raya or Freddie Woodman

LB - Tierney & Kolasinac
    Tierney as the starter spot nailed down but we need someone to rotate with him. I would be incredibly surprised if Kola isn't sold back to Germany (likely Schalke) even if it means that we essentially give him away. Ideally the backup will be young & HG. Hopefully Joel Lopez gets some playing time the rest of this season and we can simply deputize him and save some cash for other positions. If Lopez isn't ready, I think we look at one of the vest with expiring contracts (Bertrand, van Aanholt, Amavi) that we were rumored to be perusing to close out Jan.

RB - Bellerin, Cedric & AMN
    I think AMN will be sold this summer. He isn't getting the playing time he desires and is not happy playing RB. While we could stand to upgrade over Bellerin, this is a spot where we could stand to sit tight and wait until next summer to make a move. Seen some rumors of Inter unloading Hakimi (financial issues) with us being linked but I have a feeling guys like Chelsea (Tuchel) and City will drive the price tag too high for us.

CB - Gabi, Mari, Holding, Chambers, Saliba & Mavro
    I pray that we let Luiz go ahead and walk. I understand the appeal of his "veteran presence" but he makes far too many mistakes that cost us big time. I think we sell Chambers & Mavro this window. Would like to see Saliba get his chance but I also wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him loaned or sold. We should definitely be in the market for a potential starter at RCB. No need to spend big. Just need to get someone that can give Holding a really good competition for the starting spot. Then we can keep Saliba, one of the academy kids or ??? as the 5th CB.

CM/DM - Partey, Xhaka, El Neny, Guendouzi, Willock & Torreira
    I don't see us putting up any kind of fight to keep Dani. Possible that we buy him if Real is selling cheap. Wouldn't mind seeing Duezy given another shot but I think it is far more likely that he is sold. Don't see any way in hell that Torreira is retained. He will be sold or loaned again. El Neny will be entering the last year of his contract. While he has been a good squadie for us this season it is time to cash out. Won't net much but it will open a non-HG spot. I read that Willock has an extension clause in his Newcastle loan. Not sure who's idea that was but it makes me think that we likely want him on loan getting minutes next season whether it is Newcastle or somewhere else. That leaves us only Xhaka & Partey for a spot that you really need 5 guys for depth/rotation. So, get used to Xhaka wearing Arsenal for a bit longer. Assuming Willock stays on loan, I'd bet that Azeez & maybe Cottrell get a solid run with the 1st team. That still leaves us with needing 2 CMs for next season with atleast one needing to be capable of pushing Xhaka for a starting spot. Be nice if you could add a HG to group but that is not a huge must if you are bringing an academy kid or to along. You already have 2 vets at the position so I would be looking for guys 23/24 or younger. High work rate would be nice as well. Given the rumors the last month or so, I would expect a good look at Yves Bissouma. Personally wouldn't mind us making a run at Sander Berge. After that I'm not really sure where/who we would look at. Maybe Riqui Puig (not getting along with Koeman), Carlos Soler (Valencia having money issues), Weston McKinnie (Juventus likely buy him but I can dream), Boubakary Soumare, Ryan Gravenbirch or Amadou Diawara. I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well.

AM - ESR
    Would be nice if we could buy Odegaard but I am not holding my breath. Gonna need someone to rotate with ESR. Ideally you want to provide competition but not reduce ESR's minutes significantly so I doubt we make a huge purchase. Likely to be another younger guy or a vet that isnt gonna demand a ton of minutes. I really don't have a good suggestion for who this should be right now. Maybe Brahim assuming he isn't sold to Milan? Wouldn't be terrible to see some young guys (Cirjan) get a run occasionally too.

W - PEA, Pepe, Martinelli, Saka, Nelson & Willian
    Willian needs to go. Not sure if likely but it needs to happen. Nelson either needs to be played (rotation or sub) or loan/sell him. Saka should be the RW starter going forward just need to figure out who is gonna rotate with him. Could be Nelson or bring in someone new. Need to figure out Pepe. He has looked really good since moving to LW but that has been PEA's spot for awhile and we have too much invested in him to continue being a squadie. Martinelli looks good at LW as well but with injuries he is nowhere near ready to be crowned the starter. You really don't need PEA, Martinelli & Pepe rotating on the left so one (most likely PEA or Pepe) may need to go this summer. This will likely be an unpopular opinion but if Pepe continues to look good the remainder of the season I would seriously look at moving PEA to a UCL squad and run with Pepe & Saka as starters on the wing and Martinelli & Nelson/new guy as backups.

ST - Lacazette & Nketiah
    Balogun could be in the mix but I'd bet he walks. Both Laca & Eddie will enter the summer with 12 months on their deal. Think Eddie will either be sold or re-signed and loaned. Torn on Laca. Has looked much better since we starting playing a scheme that utilizes hold up play. On the flip side, I really don't wanna give him a ridiculous extension only to see him fall off again. If you can get him to sign a reasonable contract I wouldn't be opposed to extending him for a couple years, especially if you opt to sell PEA. Regardless of what you do with him, you absolutely need to bring in a younger replacement (Edouard?). So my inclination would be to try and go next season with a vet (Laca?), a young guy pushing to start (Edouard?) and an academy kid (Balogun, John-Jules, Moller).

Summary
    Possible Sales
    - Runarsson, Kolasinac, AMN, Chambers, Mavro, El Neny, Duezy, Torreira, Willian (hopefully), Pepe/PEA (maybe)
    Possible Loans - Saliba, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah
    Needs - GK, LB (maybe), CB, 2 CM, AM, ST (maybe 2)

17. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have to let Luiz go and at least give Dino and Saliba a try at CB. They can't be performing well in the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 and somehow not be good enough to challenge Holdinho

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, what an incredibly thoughtful, detailed post! (I only had time for the first 3 paragraphs) I think you should think of getting a job at the club. ;)

19. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible that we have one good midfielder (Partey) and two half-good midfielders (Xhaka and Elneny). Why AMN couldn't get a shot is beyond me.

20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has played in the MF under Arteta atleast 1-2 times. Maybe Arteta views him as a 1/4 good MF.

bandwagongooner and yossarian repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bellerin and Cedric is strong imo for one position

I wonder how good azeez actually is? He looks a great technical player in midfield. It would be awesome to have multiple academy players

also, balogan is probably on but John jules is supposed to be as big of a prospect

22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Problem is that free transfers will want a 3- or 4-year Willian/Cedric contract and that ends up being more expensive than just signing a u21 kid from the Championship.

I don't think you'd get much by selling, 5m maybe? So unless a HG spot is really needed, I think they roll with Elneny one more year and focus on only needing to purchase one CM. Partey, Xhaka, Newbie, Elneny, plus whatever from the academy or a surprising Willock/AMN return.

That's why I wonder if the striker spot if filled by playing Auba or Martinelli more often centrally. Personally, I think Pepe could do fine as a striker. I feel like the roster has enough guys that can put the ball in the net (Laca, Pepe, Auba, Martinelli, Nketiah) but not enough guys to link MF to the goal-scorers (Saka, ESR, ?). I wouldn't buy a striker unless Laca is sold.

Agree with pretty much everything else you posted, thanks for sharing.

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Lopez shows he can take the role and then this won't matter.

I could see that argument. Could even see them offer him a 1-2 yr extension if he is kept on.

Most believe Martinelli likely ends up at ST long term. However, Arteta hasn't played him there yet. Wouldn't have any issues seeing him get some minutes there.

I used to be a big "PEA needs to move central" guy but I am officially off that train. Not sure if it is our scheme or his natural tendencies but he just doesn't seem to get it done when he is at ST and his hold up play isn't half as good as Laca. I'm to the point that I think PEA plays LW or he is sold. Given his age, contract and struggles this season, I wouldn't be upset if he was sold to a UCL squad.

I could see Pepe as a RST in a 4-2-2-2 or a more counter-attacking squad. Don't see him doing well in that spot for us.

24. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will and should retain PEA until his contract expires. First, there's not a real possibility of selling him for big money in the current financial climate. Second, he's actually very good even though he's overpaid. Third, I think there's a lot of value in having some veteran to show the way to the younins, and PEA seems to be both a decent professional role model and well-liked in the squad.

25. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Ideally, FIFA/Football Manager style, I'd replace Auba, Laca, Pepe and Nketiah, and bring in two new Laca-type strikers with good holdup play and two new creative Saka-types, but that isn't going to happen in one window.

Auba isn't a perfect fit at central striker or as LW, but he also isn't going anywhere with his contract. Pepe isn't a perfect fit either, but he's talented. Recouping as much of his transfer fee as possible will be a challenge.

Nketiah isn't a great fit but should be easy to move. Laca's a good fit but his margin of error physically is so tight, you could sign him to a new deal and he could be unplayable by October. Time to move on.

So given that, if I can only sell Laca and Nketiah and sign two new players, I'd rather get one Laca-type and one Saka-type and play PEA/Martinelli more as strikers rather than buy 2 Laca-types and keep PEA/Martinelli exclusively on the wings. And it has less to do with how I see PEA and Martinelli and more to do with what I think the overall squad needs (creativity vs holdup play).