Are We Already In a New Recession?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Topper, May 16, 2012.

1. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday watched a video through WSJ.com in which the speaker said we could be 2-3 months into a new recession. Growth has been so anemic, I wouldn't be surprised, and the market certainly seems to be acting like we're back in recession. WTF is going on with the stocks, anyway. :(

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    this quarter has the potential to show 1% growth, but we're not in a recession.
    Q3 may be about the same. Q4 may show a bump depending on how the election goes - if the left wins the WH and keeps the Senate, businesses will invest under the current tax regime before they get beat to death in 2013.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Hello from the future.

Quick question, do you guys ever get tired of being completely wrong?

4. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, we are pretty close to being right. The economy sucks right now. More people go on disability every month than the number of jobs being created. If this were a GOP president, the press would be doom/gloom 24/7. Meanwhile, the stock market is propped up by the fed's purchase of $85 billion per month of government bonds, i.e., printing money. This story likely won't have a happy ending. Hopefully, I won't be back in the future to say I told you so.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If this were a GOP president, the unemployment rate would be in the double digits and the stock market in the triple digits.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, they don't. They'd rather lose money being partisan than make money being nonpartisan.

Fine with me, more suckers who can be on the other side of my trades. There's a lot of profit to be made by buying low from guys who sell stocks because a Democrat is President.

7. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what is the unemployment rate now? And what is the rate of participation in the labor market? Nevermind, facts are lost on you.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And context is lost, completely, on you.

9. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you are saying that a GOP president wouldn't be ignoring the disappearance of folks from the workforce in calculating "unemployment rates"? Wouldn't be tempted by the many opportunities to manipulate the computer games which now pass for "transactions" in the stock markets? ........or are you just saying that if it was a GOP president doing what the current one does, the media would actually be calling him on the lies?

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Get someone to read my post to you again. Only find someone who speaks more slowly this time.

11. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    President Obama has received far too much credit for things that have gone right, and far too much blame for things which have gone wrong.

Once the fed stops buying the bonds they are printing themselves, then we can see where the economy is.

Good luck to all

Topper repped this.