Are there any "kinds" of music you HATE?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by yellowbismark, Nov 8, 2004.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    "Mainstream American music" can mean anything. What's been summarized?

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Alex better sig that.

3. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    Um... It is spelled REGGAE though.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You don't say?

It was the tone of the correction, rather than the correction itself, that made the post worthy of no nicer a response than it received.

5. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    Try me.

6. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

- Country
    - New Age
    - Christian (though I have nothing against the religion)
    - Bossa Nova
    - Techno

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Man, thats a pretty broad category, encompassing dozens (at least) of styles and several centuries. You hate all of it?

8. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Should have been more specific... Christian rock/pop, is what I was aiming my venom at.

9. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    What exactly do you have against it?

10. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I HATE:
    Christian Rock
    New Age
    Disco

11. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read with a sense of familiarity the posts that Alex and others made following my "corrective" post about his particular distaste for reggae music. I say "with a sense of familiarity" because I recognize from my own attitudes the smugness and the vitriol, as well as the satisfaction others derive from seeing someone taken down a peg. It is difficult from my perspective to factor in that I deserve to be called arrogant or an ignorant clown. But I can easily admit to having been misguided in my effort to be corrective, especially toward someone who didn't solicit my advice. I can also see that my tone was offensive, obviously condescending and superior, regardless of the accuracy of the correction. It is self-serving to fall back on that point to justify my remarks.

I was wrong to correct you, Alex, without solicitation. I am sorry to have taken advantage of this forum to do so. Please forgive me.

13. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgiveness is for Christian Rock listening pvssies. Turn the other cheek and it will be torn from your face.

;)

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Me mum's fine, thanks, how's yours?

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The music I hate isn't necessarily the stuff I think is utter crap. That stuff isn't worth the effort. I'm talking about smooth jazz, for example.

And what I hate in music isn't usually the genre so much as the way it's done. I really hate processed stuff most of the time. I really hate singalong refrains and twin-guitar leads.

The music I actually get worked up about is the stuff I think is grossly overrated--and not just overrated, but overshadowing more worthy work.

Eric Clapton, I'm looking at you--Layla was an OK tune, I admit. But thirty-odd years later, you've got a pretty big rep and mostly adult-contemporary soft-rock ("Wonderful Tonight," "Lay Down Sally," etc.) and some 'tasteful' blues reworkings (is there a more BORING bluesman than BB King?) to prop said rep up with. Not good enough.

I'd go into my mixed feelings about Pink Floyd, but it's time for me to start closing up shop here at work. Some other time.

Oh, and Creed sucks. :p

16. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    dunno.
    what have you been listening to? perhaps not the right stuff.

live at the regal isn't completely boring, but there are several boring notes. i'm fond of completely well, but not so much for "Thrill is Gone".

perhaps BB is too refined for you, too controlled in his attack. in studio, he's pretty much a technician, i think

are you a magic sam fan? buddy guy? albert king?

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It surprises me how many people hate Eric Clapton. Personally I think he is better than Jimi Hendrix, Santana and Jimmy Page, who are usually considered the "best". That's only because I like how Clapton mixes blues and rock together and somehow still keeps up speed. Meaning, he can play the guitar fast but still keep a blues rythm which is typically slower than rock. I guess that makes him a "p*ssy" in some people's eyes.

18. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I think the main thing that separates Clapton from Hendrix and Page (I don't know enough about Santana to comment) is that on top of playing the guitar like noone's business, they could consistently write brilliant songs. Clapton has written about ten. Now that's nine more than most musicians will ever write, but let's be honest...after thirty years in the business and numerous accolades, it's safe to say he's more of a guitar player than a songwriter.

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i think it has to do with the fact that Clapton has morphed into a "soft" musician, whose music is two ticks from the elevator pap on smooth jazz stations. personally, i thought his 'unplugged' stuff was horrifying. all the passion was drained out, replaced by self-conscious imitations of lounge act guitarists, but with precise chops. Eric! Say it ain't so.

he was far better with Cream and Derek and the Dominoes than now, IMO.

as to songwriting, Clapton really isn't a rocker, certainly not like Page, though i don't know that much about LedZep's process. if you look at the stuff he has penned that will stand up to time, it's largely ballads. when he was with Cream, Jack Bruce did a far larger share of the writing, and Clapton was doing a lot of smack then, which may have had some impact on his creativity. i don't think so, tho'.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I used to love Live at the Regal and Live at the Cook County Jail. I agree with you--in the studio, polish wins out. Live, he's more soulful. Still, he's too 'rounded' for me. I like my blues a little rougher around the edges.

I'm not being fair to BB, though--I think he's very talented and a quality musician, and as I said, I do like some of his work very much.

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Seriously...he's a cooler Phil Collins.

And that ain't cool.

22. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Without the sense of humor that comes from looking vaguely like a troll.

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I don't see that at all. Eric Clapton has been putting out adult contempary music for nearly twenty years now. He's custom made for the House Of Blues crowd, which is 50 year old white guys drinking Samuel Adams and arguing over who does a better version of Little Wing.

24. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    what does that have to do with the fact that Phil Collins looks like a troll?

and there will never be a better "version" of Little Wing than the OG, unless Buddy Guy does one...

i agree with your assessment on Clapton: you're nicer than i. i saw Cream four times, including a set at the old Shrine Exposition Hall in LA following the release of 'Fresh'. watching him become a soulless shill for Blues for the Masses is a painful experience for someone who heard him play "Crossroads" live twice.

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I HATE CLASSIC ROCK. :mad:

'cause I remember when it wasn't classic but contemporary :rolleyes: