Are there any "kinds" of music you HATE?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by yellowbismark, Nov 8, 2004.

1. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, it's Drum and Bass. I'm not necessarily anti-techno music, I just hate D&B and it's other derivates like Jungle.

There's something about drum and bass that just pisses me off. The beats are annoying, there's always a loop of some chick moo-ing some kind of word or phrase that you can barely understand in the background. And it seems like most/all of the people I know who like this music suck too (I'm sorry that I am generalizing my own experiences here).

The world be a better place if this music was wiped off the face of this earth.

Another style I don't particularly care for is Rockabilly, although some of the stuff is okay. This is probably another case of me just not liking the "scene" or the people I've encountered who like the music, or those chicks with annoying bowl haircuts :mad:.

I apologize for being intolerant.

2. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i'm intolerant of polka music, commercial Hawaiian music, and Sarah Brightman.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can't really say I hate any style of music, but this pseudo-jazz (often referred to as "smooth jazz"- they should have saved a syllable and just called it "crap") that guys like Kenny G put out comes VERY close. Especially when I'm talking to a woman about musical tastes and she says how much she likes jazz... and she brings up Kenny G. If I didn't wanna have a life, I could ignore his sh!t, but he seems to go over well with lots of women in my age group/location. There was a wonderful interview of Pat Metheny somewhere on the Web a few years ago where someone asks him about Kenny G's overdubbing his sax onto some jazzman's recording (I can't even remember who it was). Metheny starts out kinda like "well, I don't really approve..." and eventually ends up with about two pages of true venom about KG's whole fake-ass shtick. It's great stuff.

Okay, maybe I do hate it after all.

Blues is becoming a close second, because of the sheer number of people that prefer it to jazz. The so-called "jazz" stations are slowly being converted into Jazz/Blues stations, will faaaaar too much emphasis on blues and then blues-based jazz. I don't have a problem with it in its proper musical/intellectual context, down there with country and rock n' roll (NOT rock- that's a step above both) but when otherwise intelligent folks can't bring themselves to listen to even one side of "Giant Steps" but rave on and on about second and third-generation bluesmen like Clapton and SRV, it grates on the nerves.

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Smooth jazz

5. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    Mainstream rap for the most part. Actually mainstream American music in general.

6. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I'm gonna jump on the Kenny G- and-crap-similar-to-it-sucks bandwagon.

Also I'm gonna profess my hatred of Christian rock. For two reasons.
    1. It's monotonous lyrics. "He is the light" and a thousand variations of that is in EVERY song. I think its against church rules to write christian rock without the word "light" in it.

2. The way christians that i have come into contact with try to push this carp on me. For them there are two ways to open up a conversation. "Have you accepted Jesus" or "would you like a copy of some truly inspirational music?" When you say no to the latter they push the play button on their crappy boombox and say "stay and listen with us for a while, you might like it." :rolleyes:

7. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Smooth jazz, calypso and that Tibetan throat singing that sounds like a bunch of monks gargling.

8. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    listen to "My Sacrifice" by Creed. maybe you can find the word "light" in there, but i can't. oh, golly. he does say "peace". maybe that's worse.

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Teen pop - anything closely resembling Britney Spears, Ashlee Simpson, Avril Lavigne, etc.

2. Smooth Jazz

3. Rap/Hip-Hop

4. Christian Rock

5. White Gospel

10. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    creed is 10 different kinds of crap.

thank the good lord they broke up...and while i'm at it may Scott get the clap for his horrible rendition of God Bless America at the World Series.

caca.

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon - it's got barely clothed teen girls. It can't be all that bad. At least when it comes to watching videos.

I'll get on that train.

Rap != Hip-Hop. Or, more precisely, there is a big difference between Tha Alkaholics and A Tribe Called Quest.

Werd.

I can't believe "modern Country & Western" has escaped mention. Barf.

12. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    I thought about it, but I must admit to liking a very small handful of "new country" tunes.

Now, don't get me wrong, 99.9% is god-awful sludge. But there is a song or two.

Classic country, however...that's great stuff. And there are artists like Paul Burch; Bobby Bare, Jr.; Dale Watson; etc., who are making great country music right now.

13. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    THANK YOU.

I also hate the rap that Claymore probably hates. All that mainstream garbage (i.e. 50 Cent and his ************ friends, Chingy, etc) cannot be considered music. I agree. But underground rap and stuff from the mid 90s and before is REAL music.

Recent CDs (this year) that are a must listen if you like real rap:

De La Soul - The Grind Date
    Mos Def - The New Danger
    Foreign Exchange - Connected
    Murs - 3:16

There's a lot more...

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    let me know when you break big.

15. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle

Wait. Are you honestly equating "breaking big" with being good?

Really? Wow.

16. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Muzak, not really a surprise.

Oh yeah...Creed sucks, again not a surprise.

17. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Indeed I will. I shall have flyers announcing my entry into the music world.

First I must decide which established and talented artist to rip off.

Suggestions?

18. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I'm a Christian and I hate 'Christain rock' for those reasons! Your second point, especially, is spot on. I get get bloody annoyed with that type, pushy bastards who don't have a clue about real life!

Although not all Christian bands are like that e.g. Project 86, Emery, Underoath.

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    ok, here's the deal. the combination of positive critical response by people who know something about music + public popularity = good music.

for example, britney spears music is popular, but it doesn't get particularly high marks from people who know something about music.

sometimes it takes a while for a group to attract a popular following. pavement is such a band. they have been making great music for a long time, but they only have about 527 fans, 18 of whom are music critics.

the fact that a band never achieves any popularity but a group of critics love them usually means that the band is playing primarily for themselves, which is certainly valid, but it's difficult to support that kind of artistic dedication. in a commercial venture, as you know, you need to be profitable, unless someone is willing to subsidize your losses. that may happen in sports but it doesn't take place that much in music. patronage is pretty much dead in the commercial arts.

20. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Creed sucked, they'll still suck twenty years from now.

21. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    sure. something you can handle would be good for starters. you didn't mention whether you have any talent. that might be a concern.

but if you are talented, especially on the guitar, let me recommend that you rip off Dimebag Darrell or Randy Rhoads.

22. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say, I agree with most all of these sentiments.

Smooth jazz, second/third rate blues (yuck!),

I don't like reggae or calypso either. There's an Ethiopian/African club right next to my apartment and I can't tell what it is they are playin, but I could always make out these cheesy steel drums in the background. Sucks.

Modern pop-country sucks as well. Though there are some good groups in the alternative scene.

I agree with hating 50 cents, he doesn't have a good rap voice. Other commercial rappers, such as Nelly, can blow a fat one too.

Creed, are they still popular? Man, those guys suck so bad it's not even fun to make fun of them. Same with their cousins Nickelback.

23. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    and you have mastered the use of the word "sucks" quite well, also.

as far as reggae is concerned, i don't know what you've listened to, but if you don't like Bob Marley, it's hard for me to believe you like music.

24. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Bob Marley is the one exception to that rule. I didn't want to mention that because it sounded kind of cliche to say that. But in general, I don't like reggae. Marley, however, is an inspiring musician and person.

That's just a personal taste though. If you notice, I didn't say reggae sucks. :)

25. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As bad as Creed is, are they really a "kind" of music?

I think all reggae sucks, even Marley. I really, really tried to like it, but I can't.