Are the Portland Timbers really "champions"

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take exception to the reference of the Portland Timbers as MLS "champions". Although they earned the MLS Cup, the reality of it is that they simply won a six game postseason knockout tournament after having finished as the third best team in the West. I would accept calling them playoff champions but not league champions.

2. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Wouldn't that mean that no professional sports league in North America can truly call its playoff winner the champion? I get the point, but that's how it's done in North America, period.

3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Go ******** yourself.

4. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we do NOT have to follow the same methods as the other leagues. We can determine a champion without a playoff, simply based on regular season merit alone.

5. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Portland Timbers really "champions"? Yes, MLS defines its "champions" as the team that wins MLS Cup.
    We can, but we don't.

oknazevad, jayd8888, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I see your point. Since we don't have to follow the same methods as everyone else, then I decree myself as the "MLS Champion" because I say so. Who cares if some buch of bearded hipster organic peppermint tea-drinking vintage bicycle repairmen won some postseason tournament, I declare that I am "MLS Champion," so that's all there is to it.

Moderators, now that the issue is settled once and for all, you can now close this thread.

Thank you.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ToMhIlL ain't played nobody, PAWWWWWWWWWWWL.

[​IMG]

ToMhIlL repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are you suggesting a 46 game regular season in 2018? 54 match season in 2022?

How would that work exactly?

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  10. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other major sports league in the United States or Canada calls the best regular season team the champion even though they have a playoffs? And who celebrates in the streets here when you have the best regular season record? Portland won fair and square.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup is the biggest MLS championship, which is unfortunate for me as a Red Bulls fan. Before the Red Bulls, has any club ever won two or three Supporters' Shields in three years without winning any MLS Cups?

12. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you suggesting a 46 game regular season in 2018? 54 match season in 2022?

How would that work exactly?

No. Play each conference opponent home and home and each non-conference opponent once. That would be 28 games for 20 teams, 31 games for 22 teams, and 34 games for a 24-team league. Have the REGULAR SEASON Eastern Conference Champion play the REGULAR SEASON Western Conference Champion in the MLS Cup Final. I am ok with a Cup Final. I just don't like the idea of a mediocre 3rd place team getting hot at the end of October, going on a run, and being declared league champion. I no longer accept playoffs as a just determination of the league champion. There needs to be a better way.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Oh. Ok.

Guess MLS will change. Just for you.

Sanguine, ManuSooner and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm pretty sure we've had teams win the World Series (Marlins, Cards...), Stanley Cup (LA Kings were an 8 seed), Super Bowl (last Packers win was as a Wild Card) and NBA Championship (Rockets, Celtics...) as lower than 1 or 2 seeds. The NCAA basketball tournaments are rife with non-champions involved. Should college football go back to a BCS system?

Sorry, but Portland won the event under the parameters everyone else knew and was chasing. The fact that one of the better seeds couldn't nail it down is on them, not Portland or MLS.

Cheers.

15. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Do the letters F-O mean anything to you?

oknazevad and ManuSooner repped this.
  16. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Front Office?

17. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Duuuuh, Are duh Portlund Timbuhs reelee "champeens"?

Yes.

Now go play with a rattlesnake.

oknazevad, ManuSooner and Jimmydinho repped this.
  18. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To overanalyze everything (because it's me):

Yes, Virginia, there really is an MLS Cup in Portland. And that's the league's championship award, not the Supporters' Shield, or overall PPG (adjusted for strength of schedule). The method to determine the 2015 MLS Champion was both proposed and agreed to before competition began.

If the question was if Portland was the league's best team this season, then my answer would be maybe not. I'd probably point to the Red Bulls. (But it would be closer than the original poster implied.) I think almost everyone would agree a champion frequently isn't the best team. It wasn't when my team won. But MLS isn't alone. This year, NBA teams other than the Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs will compete for a league title, even though it's pretty clear that there is no other legitimate answer to which basketball team is the best. The NFL lets teams which have average or below records which are better than three other teams open the playoffs at home. Playoff hockey is notorious for hot streaks. Even MLB invites teams which clearly don't have a claim to play for its title.

Given that the league is too large to do a single table double round robin--and that external factors interfere even in such a format--it's necessarily imperfect. And that's not to say leagues with double round robins are perfect; travel time, weather, personnel changes, injuries, other competitions, and a host of other factors complicate such schedules. Yes, there are more reliable ways to get the answers to 'best team' and 'league champion' to match up, but the 2015 Portland Timbers earned the championship.

oknazevad repped this.
  19. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    NO?!?!?

Could it be?!?!?

Is it true?!?!?

After 20 long years?!?!?

YES???

We are the champions my friends!

And we'll keep on fighting

Till the end!

We are the champions!

We are the champions!!

No time for losers

'Cause we are the champions...of the (MLS) world!!!

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: Are the Portland Timbers really "champions"?

A: Yes.

oknazevad, ManuSooner, jayd8888 and 3 others repped this.
  21. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    NEVER!!!

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I would say to the OP that s/he should continue to consider whoever s/he wants as champion. Go for it. Tell everyone in your circle of friends and acquaintances why. Write letters to sports editors. Tweet. Use Reddit. Fill the comment boxes on MLSsoccer.com with comments. Start a one man crusade and add acolytes as you go.

Also here's the You Be The Don subforum where you can suggest such a change if you were league commissioner.

Then when you've got it for soccer, tell all the Red Wings fans that those Stanley Cup Trophies in 96-97 and 97-98 are crap because they didn't win the President's Trophy in those seasons. :)

bunge, JasonMa, onefineesq and 1 other person repped this.
  23. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, sure, the Timbers aren't the Champs, neither then, are the '96 DCU, '98 Fire, '02 'Quakes, '04 DCU, '05 Galaxy, '09 RSL, '10 Rapids, and '12 Galaxy. So yeah...

24. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They missed out on second place because of goal differential (not only that, but a GD of only 3, if I remember correctly,) and were only 7 points out from the SS.

25. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [QUOTE="No. Play each conference opponent home and home and each non-conference opponent once. That would be 28 games for 20 teams, 31 games for 22 teams, and 34 games for a 24-team league. Have the REGULAR SEASON Eastern Conference Champion play the REGULAR SEASON Western Conference Champion in the MLS Cup Final. I am ok with a Cup Final. I just don't like the idea of a mediocre 3rd place team getting hot at the end of October, going on a run, and being declared league champion. I no longer accept playoffs as a just determination of the league champion. There needs to be a better way.[/QUOTE]

And when MLS has 28 teams? 32 teams?