are the playoffs beyond our reach.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by blank25, Sep 21, 2006.

1. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    Something is wrong with our defense this year. They appear to make some real blunders like jeff parke being involved in a own goal or the ball being stripped in the penalty area and being placed in the old onion sack by our opponents. Also Marvel Wynne needs some more polish on handling the ball when making a run into the enemy area. I also find that the midfielders have not done enough to get the ball to the strikers. A point of light is that woly is back because he still can find the way to score or assist on a goal. So am i being to hard on the team which hasn't lived up to its potential.

2. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

Our big money guys have sucked royally this season. And the hard working cheap worker bees surrounding them have been way below MLS average. Throw in 2 coaching changes and you end up with 28 games played - 7 wins, 10 losses and 11 sister kisses.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls are 1 point behind Kansas City with 4 games to play.

So no, the playoffs are well within their reach.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Goals Allowed Per Game

2005-1.53
    2006-1.21

Goals Scored Per Game

2005-1.66
    2006-1.18

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Win every game and yes it is. Even if we lose to DC. (and if KC loses to NE)

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    With our last match being against KC themselves.

We are very much in the mix.

7. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I'd blame the inability to score over defense.

8. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might be out of our reach. But, last year we hung on by a thread because not only were we sucking, but so was KC. Seems like deja vu all over again. Unless one of our teams turns in an amazing end of year streak, this will be decided on the last game. At least this year, it's head to head rather than involving two other teams from the west.

9. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than JPP how many goals have our forwards really scored other than the one great Buddle game he scored 3 in the second half?? Strikers are a problem on this team as evidenced last game.

10. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No argument there but show me a midfield that can adequately create offense on a consistent basis first. For me there seems to be a problem in both areas. This team for the better part of the last 3 years has been kick it to Amado and hope he does something with it. Five minutes in bang he pops a mood -game over. And thats not a knock on Amados ability, just on the way the team is built.

11. Mooch

Mooch New Member

Mar 22, 1999
    Under the Swamp
    I think it is wrong to blame the defense for this season. We are a lot better than in previous years.

Molexi really screwed us on the offensive side when they let Gaven(8), SGR(7), and Razov(6) go (21 out of our 53 goals last year, almost 40%) and all we got in return was Buddle who we all know, that except for 45 minutes this year, has been crap.

Molexi tried to build this team around Youri and that didn't work (10 goals last year, 2 this year). Youri just mailed in his performance this whole year and his World Cup absensce/'family illness' showed me how little he really cared about the team this year.

Add to that the circus that was created with the treatment of Guevara by Molexi on and off the field, media, etc. (Guevara shares some blame as well), we saw our star attacking midfielder used in a more defensive role and a dramatic dropoff in his play (11 goals last year, 2 this year).

Injuries to Lisi and Magee haven't helped and the sale of Peguero with no real replacement took away any real offensive punch we had this season.

All that being said, we are still very much in the playoff hunt and we do control our own fate but it does make one wonder whether or not we are better off missing the playoffs and getting the allocation since our offense needs a major overhaul.

LET'S GO REDBULLS!!!!