Review: Are Spain the best Team ever?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by matt astill, Jul 1, 2012.

1. wigglesworth

wigglesworth Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Livorno Calcio

"Between 1950 and 1956, the team recorded 42 victories, 7 draws and just one defeat, in the 1954 World Cup final against West Germany. Under theElo rating system they achieved the highest rating so far recorded by a national side (2166 points, June 1954)".

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Four out of five, they lost at the Confed Cup 09.

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Brazil from 1994 to 2009 had the most dominant period ever in Football history, people still haven't come around to that but with time people will start to see that in 15 years they won 9 tournaments, Spain has 3 in 6 years.

In that time period they won
    2 World Cups
    3 Confederate Cups
    4 Copa America

and even if you make the Copa America a once every 4 years thing, not every 2 and remove 2 championships from the, you're talking 7 major tournaments during that time period.
    1994 Won WC
    1995 Lost Copa A
    1996 Lost Gold Cup
    1997 Won Copa A
    1997 Won Confed
    1998 Lost WC
    1999 Won Copa A
    1999 Lost Confed
    2001 Lost Copa A
    2002 Won WC
    2003 Lost Confed
    2004 Won Copa A
    2005 Won Confed
    2006 Lost WC
    2007 Won Copa A
    2009 Won Confed
    2010 Lost WC
    2011 Lost Copa A
    2013 ?

9/18... So they have pretty much a 50% chance of winning a tournament.. and you wonder why they have been favorites for so long, this is what betting people look at.

You want to compare Spain which has a total of 4 International Championships in total, to Brazil which won 9 in the last 19 years.

No this Spain team has to eat a lot of Feijao com Arroz to get there still.

puertorricane repped this.
  4. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    ah I missed 2 more gold cups! 1998 and 2003! so 9/20

5. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Those trophies weren't won by the same generation of players, while this present Spanish generation has won 3 tittles in 5years

worms repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This discussion is about the best team ever. So we are not talking about a 15-year time period.

Spain are clearly in the discussion of best team ever since the same core group of players have won every major tournament since 2008. Add to that their record-breaking unbeaten streak and their unique playing-style which will probably be studied and emulated for decades to come.

worms repped this.
  7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    You have to qualify to participate, to qualify you either win the WC, your continental championship or host the WC.

Those are always major teams playing (outside of Oceania)

It's a major tournament.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    plus :
    - one WC finalist 98
    - one Olympic Soccer finalist 2012
    - two 3rd place Olympic Soccer 96 +08

9. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is the Club World Cup a major club tournament?

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No it's not because not all teams can maintain form two or three years later. The record of defending WC champions at the following WC should be a quick guide for that.

The Confed Cup is a fun tournament, and the teams that play in it can benefit from it, but if I were to pick only one trophy for my team, I would go in this order:

World Cup
    Continental Championship
    Under 20 WC
    Olympic Gold
    Confederations Cup
    Under 17 WC

11. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

No it wont, we are seeing the end of tiki taka in front of our eyes both in club football and national team.

[]__[]

12. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Confederations cup isn't a major tournament so it's 3 in a row. Winning 1 World Cup and 2 Euros in a row is just as hard as winning 3 World Cups in a row because the group stages in the Euros are generally harder.

Hendrixforpope repped this.
  13. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    The whole tournament Those referees were was giving dubious fouls against Brazil. Just rewatch u will see basically FIFA trying to help Spain to win it first world cup and if u remember how Spain was asking Russia to help them in a buyout to win the world cup. Guess who was the whistleblower england because they didn't win the right to host the world cup.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What you are seeing before your eyes is Xavi getting older. It's not the style itself that is suddenly "solved". With the right ingredients it is still very effective.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll believe it when Greece or Denmark win the WC :rolleyes:

16. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    My list goes
    WC
    Confed
    Continental
    Olympic Gold
    couldn't care less after that.

I guarantee you that the final we're seeing now is a more anticipated final than any continental tournament.

17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Players take confederations seriously, teams take it seriously, fans make excuses if their team loses. It's the only tournament outside of the WC which top teams from each continent can face off. And... it's really hard to qualify for it.

Sorry it's a top tournament.

LGRod repped this.
  18. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[No, but the Texaco Cup should be... :D]

19. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is your handle by any chance has anything to do with the city you live in? I used to live in a city called worms in Germany.

[]__[]

20. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    Should not forget how Brazil was world champion, under 17 champion and under 20 champion at the same time.

21. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Spain currently in the making of best team ever. Their record breaking unbeaten streak, 1 WC and 2 euros. What would solidify it is the CC and another WC.

22. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They tell something of the story. All I'm saying is that it was a fair match of football and Brazil lost. They weren't far behind Netherlands, and some other day the result could've been way different, but a fair match.

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Some fouls were not whistled, sure, but that goes both ways, and anyway that's the default case: ref only whistles some of the fouls. Ref didn't decide the match, the teams did, all the credit to Netherlands.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Confed Cup over the Euros, Copa America or Olympics, tournaments with a tradition of half a century or more, to me it's nonsense. The Confed Cup is nice entertainment in a summer devoid of international tournaments, but this final does not come close to the attention of Spain vs Italy last year.

Rana catesbeiana and Hendrixforpope repped this.
  25. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, my favorite animals are worms.