Are Real Madrid bringing Beckham, Zidane etc.?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Anyone know if they are actually bringing Ronaldo, Zidane, R. Carlos, Raul, Beckham, Casillas etc. for the Galaxy game? And will they play?

Any links to news articles about this?

Thanks.

2. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    From the press conference announcing the game:

Take that for what it's worth.

I ordered a pair of tickets to the Real Madrid game and to the third installment of the Honda SuperCaliFragilisticEspialadociousClassico (Galaxy v CDCUSA). I received the tickets to the Galaxy game yesterday. Has anyone received tickets to the Real Madrid game yet?

3. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Great thanks. I somewhat remember that being the case, but I didn't realize it was stated in such "concrete" terms. Of course, the last second "flu" can never be planned for... But I am hopeful they will play their stars. If they make the trip I doubt they'll just sit on the bench.

4. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

If this is valid, than it would seem Beckham, Ronaldo, and Zidane will be starting/playing against the Galaxy.

5. kgzero

kgzero Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    They better bring and play those guys, cuz that is the whole reason I bought the ticekts.

6. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    well I'm pretty sure Becks is gonna be there because of his school and whatever............What the hell is grass level seating at the home depot center....have I missed this everytime before? I can't recall anyone sitting on grass......anyway I bought it because there's nothing else left! Who cares I'm ready for this

7. BigPerm

BigPerm New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    7 of the best suiting up?

So this is my second post on a web board but I am going to give it a try, as it looks fun. Besides, I was inspired by the totally unrelated, and much humor going on in the Donovan threads. A lot of lol, can’t catch your breath type humor, even if you’re at work!

So I’m mostly optimistic and hopeful for the MLS management’s ability to start bringing top talent teams over to the US. I’ll start believing after about 2 summers of consistent results starting with this summer! I went to the ManU game at the coliseum the other year, and didn’t remember the premium talent playing on the field, although all of their jerseys were on sale at the games.

So how’s it going to go down? In pure speculation, here is what I think the possible scenarios might be:

a) This is an ambitious move by someone in MLS, closing a big deal for the US. I think it could easily be sold as a holiday trip to the US, with on-the-road parties, entertainment, and tourism, with some futbol peppered in. I am sure the US seems like a decent enough place to holiday in the summer and the entire team may travel for us all to enjoy. Besides the French Riviera and Marbella are already crowded in the summer time. Financially, I don’t anticipate this being a lucrative trip in the short term even if they pack the stadiums for two games. Here goes some quick soccer math:

Game in LA with 27k people with average seating price $100. I’d say there are about 40 people in the entourage with a $500 a day per-diams after all is said and done. I’d say that the margins on these games are pretty thin split somehow between both teams and the leagues. So, in summary, I’d call these good-will type games.

b) I think I heard that there has been some interest to have foreign teams have their B teams play in the MLS. I suppose there is a general desire to have about 20 teams in the MLS and have and EPL style league. With the deep pockets of the world-wide clubs, and the underdeveloped market in the US, if I were able to place a team in the MLS, my heart tells me to do it, even without knowing the economics behind it. Anyone familiar enough with soccer economics or know of a link which could educate an ignorant fan? On the foreign tip, I’m not pleased with the performance of the Chivas to date. I was seriously hoping for border-line domination!

c) MLS has built up the credibility and attention of foreign club teams, and they want the opportunity to benchmark the MLS with the rest of the club world. I don’t think many people are in this camp, but for the dreamers out there…
    And does anyone think it is odd that on paper, one of the best teams in the world is going to play the 3rd place Galaxy (what’s happening lately!?! YUCK). Shouldn’t the Galaxy get beat like a school girl - Argentina/Brazil Confederations Cup style? At the end of the day, I think you could sell more tickets, have a better game, sweep more publicity, and have a bigger impact if you pull together a MLS all star team (maybe MLS West All Stars in the LA game, and MLS East All Stars in the Chicago game).

Anyway, hope this post isn’t too lame. I just was trying to give some back! My bet is with a deal closer in the MLS. El Gato may need to hide under the bed like a cat on 4th of July, as I think it could get brutal

8. gotemcoach24

gotemcoach24 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Northridge Ca
    its the grass hill below the scoreboard. i think everything is sold out except for grass.

9. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    You mean all the crack has been sold.. ?? Damn.. :mad:

10. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    Sieman Mobile versus The LA Galaxy in America in a SSS?

Way to go guys, I'm going to take a timeout from hating your guts to cheer you on!

11. pappa

pappa New Member

May 4, 2005
    shud be a great game - hope the galaxy can cause a shock - madrid are in the off season and so should be out of routine

www.soccersaurus.com

12. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my tickets in the mail today. I've got to admit, it's pretty surreal to see this:

Los Angeles Galaxy
    vs
    Real Madrid​

:cool:

13. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    We saw that before on a schedule.. You may remember.. We were going to play them our first match at the WCC but FIFA was bad and canceled it.. :mad:

I bet you will save your ticket stub.. :cool:

14. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I REALLY hope there is a way that you guys can have all your starters back and ready to go for this match.

15. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    That's not going to happen.. I hear Arena laughed when Sampson asked about Donovan.. :eek:

16. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That blows :(

17. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    If Canada had beaten the USA yesterday there would have been at least a chance the USA would not have made the next round.. BLAME CANADA.. again! :eek:

18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect to see that LAG reserve squad - the same B Team that just lost to Metros.

Team is going to break out a set of throwback Washington Generals unis for the game.

19. nrHartman

nrHartman New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    your mom's house
  20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Finally, entertaining soccer comes to the HDC. Expect to see the following:

-Beckham scoring a goal from a center line shot
    -Ronaldo dribbling the ball in circles around a confused Ugo, ending with an Ugo own goal deflected off his butt
    -Zidane dousing the ref with a water bucket after he gets a yellow card
    -Owen bouncing the ball off his head while he climbs a ladder, ending with a spectacular bicycle kick that rockets past a befuddled Hartman

And throughout the whole match the PA will blast "Sweet Georgia Brown."

21. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though it's "only a friendly", this match has got to be one of the most prominent opportunities for exposure the G's have had since I've been a fan (all 10 years). But without Donovan, Ramirez, Umana, Marshall, Albright, Vagenas, Kirovski and Ngwenya -- anyone else?

Other than Hartman, the team we've seen over the last couple weeks has been about as bad as it gets. Madrid would be a handful on any day, even if we had all those names listed above. But without them? I fully expect the G's to get their clock cleaned and embarrassed in a very public way. IMO, their reputation would be better served not playing this match at all. Can't do much about injuries, but scheduling in the middle of the Gold Cup? Focking brilliant.

22. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    It's all about the Benjamins.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Albright and Vagenas will likely be there...

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Pando should be there as well.

25. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    If we move the goals 7 feet to the west he should score a hat-trick!! :)