Are Australia the weakest in this group?

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by samvitalogy, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injuries to Essian & Ballack have leveled the playing field in this group a lot and made it even more difficult to call... Australia to qualify for 2nd round with Germany.

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's just stupid. We already played Cote d'Ivoire not too long ago and Australia and Serbia have a very similiar style of play, so everyone got "covered" there. Also it's not only about imitating your group opponents.
    It's about finding your starting eleven and testing the tactics you trained before.

Btw. just playing opponents from the same continent as the teams from your group won't necessarily prepare you for them.
    E.g. playing Poland won't prepare any team for playing Germany and playing Latvia won't prepare any team for playing Serbia.

3. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    I beleive Ghana is the weakest team in this group.

4. Berendk

Berendk New Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Suspect this group may well come down to Germany 1st and then the other 3 being separated by who fares best against Germany and a 1 - 0 result somewhere that someone will rue giving up that lone goal.

I just hope Germany don't explode out to a quick start and have 1st place stitched up before their last game.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    meh, the Serbia-Australia match is a "six-pointer". If you lose this one, stealing a point against Germany won't mean much.

6. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    These are the sort of groups I prefer to watch, when every game really matters. I don't think Germany will sail through it though.

7. Deathstar

Deathstar Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Syd Er Knee
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    PV is still a "lucky general" whereas Hiuus's seems to have run out.

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I see it a bit differently. An injury to a single player is less of a worry to Germany than to Essien's team. However, Germany have also lost Traesch, Westermann, Adler and Enke (first choice keeper to suicide this year) in addition to Ballack. I think there are one or two bench players that have been ruled out as well. So they are bit more depleted than just losing Ballack. Combined these injuries have weakened Germany a bit. But if it was just Ballack I don't think it would affect Germany much at all.

9. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Completely agree...but you forgot Rolfes, who probably would have been the Ballack replacement.

10. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I don't know if you are aware, but Ghana already has 4 injured midfielders (including the backup to Essien and the backup to the backup to Essien), 5 players are back from long injuries and have hardly played due to this in the past 6 months, whilst 3 players are what Rajevac called the 'walking injured' (Sulley Muntari, John Mensah and Richard Kingson).

Germany's woes are slightly smaller than Ghana's...

11. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Hmmm, you might want to read the full post. I think I said as much.

12. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Who are these then? Agyemang Badu and?

13. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    2 things;

Let's just wait until they take the pitch before making any judgements and;

Cahill, believe it or not is not our best player. If they ever manage to get him fit, Kewell is our most creative player. Maybe not as freakish as to what he can do in circumstances, but better allround.

14. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Chipperfield > All.

15. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    God the US v Australia game was painful to watch, US should make the round of 16, Australia to be on the 1st plane out of South Africa.

Australia play a dreadful brand of football something like England circa 1970-80's very little pace and skill, they rely heavily on physical play and aggression. Constant cynical fouling and rough challenges, it's like their mission is to try and stop other teams playing football rather than actually try and play some themselves. Serbia and Germany are far superior and if there is any justice they should win, and win handsomely but they should be careful they don't get dragged down to Australia's level and it turns into a grindfest otherwise Australia can probably scrape a couple of 0-0's.

16. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    what a load of garbage thsi thread regarding the USA game.

The players were told two hours befre kick off that Brad Jones son has luekemia and it's veryerious. We know how to make second rounds and have far greatern talent than the USA.

Serbia are a joke right now and ghana are in ttatters. 2 weeks ago I wouldn't of said this but Australie will get through.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I think this thread has jumped the shark.