Are Australia the weakest in this group?

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by samvitalogy, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Verbeek is at the World Cup, Hiddink isn't.

2. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Ghana is probably the most out of form team at this world cup. first round flops!

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol :d

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Going by the results and gameplay of these friendlies almost every team save one or two are badly out of form.

5. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I actually agree with this one. Like Rajevac said... he is going to play the World Cup with the "waling wounded".

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    In a 4-2-3-1 Amoah is a substitute and way behind Gyan in terms of quality of play. Amoah WOULD NEVER START in this system!

Appiah hasn't played for the National team for about a year and although it would be great if he was fit he doesn't seem to be. At the moment Kwadwo Asamoah is first choice in that position.

Annan is first team, as is Muntari. Muntari however does seem out of form and he did miss the ACoN. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets subbed by Ayew or i.e. Tagoe.

First choice defence is probable Vorsah-Mensah, which didn't play together.

Not only is Ghana missing Essien, but also his two backups.

Derek Boateng has NEVER performed for his national team (unlike for Getafe were he has been brilliant). And were it not for 3 injured midfielders I doubt he would have a chance in hell to start.

Key issue is that Rajevac's system requires two strong DMs and he only has one. Boateng failed, so he will need to try i.e. Rahim Ayew, Andre Ayew or Isaac Vorsah in that position. Vorsah would be the best solution were it not for the defensive dearth.

I would go for Paintsil in CB as he has lost a lot of his pace due to injury and Inkoom would be better at RB.

Yes. He was EXPERIMENTING WITH PLAYERS.
    And in the second half he was experimenting with 4-3-3 in a 4-2-31 formation. My biggest issue with Rajevac seems to be a total lack of Plan B.

7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I agree with every word you said in that second post.

8. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The most accurate assessment I have heard of Australia at this WC compared to last time is that we will be much harder to beat - but also far less likely to win.

Basically we seem to be set out for 3 draws and hoping we can sneak a win to get us through.

9. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Aussie with who? Serbia or Germany. Germany will have to recover from first match defeat

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Slight difference in difficulty of qualifying.

11. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Slovenia aren't that good.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe not but anything can happen in a short two-game series (and you can't really blame him for finishing 2nd behind Germany). Australia meanwhile had 8 games and only had to be better than Qatar and Uzbekistan. HUGE difference there! Australia will play in EVERY world cup from now until eternity now that they've left Oceania. Manager won't matter at all.

13. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No way, Australia goes from streangth to streangth they are going to win this group and at least, at least come in 2nd.

Weakest in the group? Never Australia have twice the heart and passion to represent their country, moresore than any other team in the tournament. But sure go on thinking that Australia is the weakest in the group, it will be all the sweeter when we grab all 9 points!!!!

14. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No way, Australia goes from streangth to streangth they are going to win this group and at least, at least come in 2nd.

Weakest in the group? Never Australia have twice the heart and passion to represent their country, moresore than any other team in the tournament. But sure go on thinking that Australia is the weakest in the group, it will be all the sweeter when we grab all 9 points!!!!

15. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why? :confused:

16. Sarmao's

Sarmao's New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What a ridiculous comment.

17. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It takes alot of heart to play for the green and gold, to make the sacrifice to travel back and fourth between Europe and Australia, often upsetting the club gaffer. I have to say this we are not England, when it comes to putting on the shirt of Socceroos wheather it is for a friendly, Asian, or World Cup qualifier, our boys never duck out because they have an important game for club coming up, they get on that plane and mind you it is a long flight, sometimes a 20 hour flight. There are times when they will take that flight train for a couple of days, play two games and take the flight back to Europe right after the game. Can you imagine taking that flight twice in the span of a week? Well they do it....ALOT.

That is what it means to play for the Socceroos

18. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So players from other teams don't care that much and don't show heart?

19. ArnieTheDefender

ArnieTheDefender New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Sydney
    It is interesting looking at the friendlies as to where the other sides see the opposition:
    Germany - Hungary, Bosnia (do they only see Serbia as a threat?),
    Serbia - Poland, & New Zealand and Cameroon (covering all bases there),
    Ghana - Nederlands & Lativa (Germany & Serbia)
    Australia - New Zealand ( marketing), Denmark and USA - are they looking at R16 v USA?

Germany have stated that they only see Serbia as a threat.

20. Sardukar

Sardukar Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Sydney
    Australia had to play Iraq (AFC champions), China and Qatar in the first round of qualifiers. Then Japan, Bahrain, Qatar, Uzbekistan in the second round.

They are all decent teams with incredibly difficult away trips. Underestimate asia and AFC wcq campaign if you want, but if you tried to qualify through it with that attitude you'd get your ass handed to you.

21. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany did play the Ivory Coast last November. But that was before the WC groups were announced, me thinks.

Come on, playing Latvia is not practice for the game against Serbia. There is a massive gulf in the playing styles and the strengths of the two teams.

And when you say " Germany have stated that they only see Serbia as a threat" , who exactly do you mean? I am quite sure Loew wouldn't make such comments. His immediate reaction after the draw was that the group was 'tricky'. Your comment strikes me as odd.

22. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know what you trying to get at. And I partially agree. However, you can't cite traveling for 20 hours as a show of heart. The European teams who participated in the inaugural world cup had 2-3 weeks of traveling in a ship. At USA 94, Denis Bergkamp traveled by rail because he was scared of flying. These things are circumstantial and have nothing to do with ' heart'.

Also, having heart alone will not win a team matches. That is the unfortunate truth. :(

23. KaNgArOoS

KaNgArOoS Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Goodison Park
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not entirely true. I mean the US did pull out some shockingly stunning results at the Confederations Cup.:D

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea, with loads of luck against an uninspiring Spain.

25. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it'll be Germ and Aus to advance. Although individual players from Serbia and Ghana have impressed me, their teams don't at all.