Archie Thompson to PSV

Discussion in 'Australia' started by CoenD2, Dec 30, 2005.

1. CoenD2

CoenD2 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Utrecht
    Dutch article saying Archie Thompson will move to PSV for the 2nd half of the season. Hiddink was looking for a new forward after Robert and Sibon left for the dutch league and CL. The article also says it's a perfect solution because this way Thompson will stay in shape for the World Cup.

So how good is Archie?

http://psv.netwerk.to

30/12/2005 - Hiddink wil Australische spits naar PSV halen
    (Gepost door JF)

BRON: VI.nl / De Telegraaf
    Volgens VI.nl ziet Guus Hiddink de Australisch international Archie Thompson als mogelijke versterking van de selectie na de winterstop. De spits van Melbourne Victory, die als enige international in eigen land speelt, moet na het eindigen van de Australische competitie begin februari in conditie zien te blijven tot aan het WK in de zomer. Door hem naar PSV te halen zouden volgens Hiddink twee vliegen in één klap worden geslagen. "Er moet sowieso iets voor hem georganiseerd worden in de maanden voor het WK en voor PSV kan hij een aanvallende versterking zijn. Het zou een inventieve manier zijn om de selectie te versterken, want dit hoeft niets te kosten." De 27-jarige aanvaller vestigde in 2001 een wereldrecord door in de interland tegen het zwakke Amerikaans Samoa dertien maal te scoren.

2. GreenIsle

GreenIsle Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    Green I/Prt Douglas
    The Americans will be disappointed,PSV will have no further use for "NATS" :eek: star DeMarcus Beasley.

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Archie's not bad, but he is only a backup to a backup in the Australian squad. He will perform competently enough for PSV, but don't expect to see a superstar.

4. CoenD2

CoenD2 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Utrecht
    That will be his role in the squad also; 3rd center forward after Kone & Vennegoor.

5. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Archie wont be bad, sort of player that can look brilliant sometimes, but can also fall flat on his face.

BTW he is the world record holder for most goals in an international - 13 vs Am. Samoa. Not much opposition but still

6. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    good news, i think he can be a good player there. he plays similar to j farfan but is no where near better than him. jason culina and nathan coe will be happy to have another australian team mate with them at psv

7. Reyes9

Reyes9 New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    It will be a loss for melbourne victory - he's our only class player. If he can get regular game time, even if its mostly as a sub against far higher quality opposition than the a-league then that can only be good for the national team.

8. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    I love him but a tad overrated really.

If we could get $500,000+ and a decent midfeider for him I'd over the moon.

9. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    So has he accepted the offer has he?

I hope that the victory get somebody of his calbre in return.

10. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Just as long as the new team look after him well. Am I right in saying that the soccerroos coach is the coach of PSV? I have heard that somewhere and now I am not so sure.

11. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    He is Melbourne Victory's star striker

12. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    No - the club has not yet accepted the offer.

A announcment will be mde over the next 12-24 hours.

I doubt it :(

Im sure they will, why else would they want him?

You are correct - the great man himself:

[​IMG]

13. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Thanks for all that.
    I hope that Mark Schwarzer comes back to Australia and plays for the Victory.

14. UkeSuperstar

UkeSuperstar New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hopefully this is on a loan deal, so he can come back in time for the next A-League season. That'd be a huge win for Victory. But if it doesn't work out like that, then we have to find another striker of his standard.

And fast. I don't like the looks of a Diaco/Allsopp attack, even though I'm a bit of a fan of Allsopp, despite so many Victory fans hating him.

15. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Sounds like he's going to be in for some fun.

16. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I hope you mean "eventually". (Although he'd be more likely to go to Sydney, as that's where he's originally from.)

If you mean that you hope his transfer request to Middlesborough will result in him coming back to Australia, that is not going to happen, but if it did it would result in our first choice Socceroo goalkeeper sitting around doing nothing for a few months in the lead up to the World Cup!:eek:

17. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    So you call yourself "Hiddink Magic", but you don't know that Guus Hiddink is both the coach of the Socceroos and PSV Eindhoven?? WTF?:rolleyes:

Were you known as "goaldrush" in another life perhaps?:p

18. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
  19. hoos

hoos Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Australia
    Well, well well, anyone (Archie, his manager, the media) willing to eat humble pie in the aftermath of this good news?

Or are yesterday's headlines a figment of the imagination?

Morons.

20. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Deal is done - MVFC have done very well.

Alot of Victory fans views on Archie have changed from Hero to Judas due his comments of late. :mad:

21. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Will archie still be playing this wkend against QLD or has he flown out already?

22. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    He's playing first and then going to PSV on Monday.

23. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I wonder what the club will do with 1-2 million euros....could this be the start of a juggernaut?

24. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    I reckon that he will fit in to Hiddink's team really well. He's on loan for 6 months. It would be a real eye opener for Archie Thompson.