Apple TV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Oct 5, 2022.

?

Will you be willing to pay Apple to watch DC United games?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

prime slot looking for max eyes, failure

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I suspect the NFL owners prefer the money to the eyes. They certainly don't need to build the sport.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I ask a question here. What is the reason cord cutters cut their cords? To save money. So after they pay for Netflix and Hulu and the three or four other streaming services are they really going to pay another what is it $10 for MLS, a second tier sport? I just don't think so, the whole reason they cut the cord was to not spend money.

bigredfutbol and Dan Kohner repped this.
  4. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not many "casual" fans are going to pay $99 to watch matches. Heck when games are free on ABC last season, I'm pretty sure the viewership was not that high. Most bars will not pay the $99 to show matches, heck on most weekends you have one tv showing a free MLS match if that at a bar. So I'm thinking most bars near me will not even be an option. Heck when matches were free to watch, ABC, ESPN, FS1, I still had to ask bars to put games on. MLS is so low on the sports bars list of sports they show, I have seen cornhole on and not MLS.

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  5. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would, but not the everyday "casual fan.

shawn12011 repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

$99 no way in hell.

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You could just as easily be asking why people don't listen to AM radio anymore. It's just not how people under the age of 60 consume media anymore.

bigredfutbol and shawn12011 repped this.
  8. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    The bar question is interesting.

For Thursday Night Football, now on Amazon Prime, Amazon cut a deal with DirectTV that gave DirectTV their feed to give to business accounts such as bars. Bars don't have to subscribe to Amazon Prime, they get the Thursday night game as part of their business subscription to DirectTV.

Will be interesting to see if Apple/MLS do something similar.

sitruc, TowsonDad, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    As someone who is 72 and cut the cord a few years back, I guess I'm in the wrong demographic.:) Seriously, the major difference is the lack of lock in contracts. You literally can subscribe for one month, drop the service and resubscribe months later. My daughter always has been a cord cutter, she subscribed to YouTubeTV for a month to watch the World Cup. After it ends, she'll unsubscribe. We don't have FIOS where I live now, but I remember when we had it, you had to use the Verizon router which was complete dogshit for wireless connectivity. But if you didn't use their router, the cable lineup would be all screwed up (I found that out when our son "improved" the router and we couldn't find our favorite channels). I would rather have someone deliver the interwebs to my wall and then I'll do the rest.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Being old is a state of mind. :D

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I don't mind. :D

Winoman repped this.
  12. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    You are only as old as the woman* you feel.

*(or man)

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Sports will carry at least 34 regular-season, eight playoff matches and the MLS Cup championship game. At least 15 regular-season games will air on Fox, with the remainder on FS1.

14. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Wondering if anyone here has any connections to Apple +. Would like to present an unscripted content proposal to feature MLS culture going city by city, club by club.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I love this idea. I've even pitched something not 100% dissimilar. But it's not typically Apple you want to be talking to. You'd try the idea out with a production company, who would make a pilot, with which they'd approach Apple (or whomever). That's usually how it works.

Winoman and Petworth Posse repped this.
  16. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed. I have partnered w a production company already. We can't make a pilot until the season starts but that's the plan. Still need contacts. The team I'm working with has no contacts at Apple+. Have a meeting in Jan w a large potential sponsor though who could underwrite the entire thing and we put it on YouTube only if we go that route.

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    isn't MLS supposed to be producing that sort of content to fill out the schedule?

Petworth Posse repped this.
  18. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm sure they will create content that will tote the company line like good politbureau toadies do. While our content will be overwhelming favorable for MLS we would like to reserve the right to offer adverse comments, which in turn boost credibility. Hopefully MLS will be on board but if not I hope we can move forward, perhaps funded by a sponsor or even a GoFundMe.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  19. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I don't see the negative focus on this compared to some many others. Actually if you have Apple TV already the cost is $79 for the whole season of EVERY game with no blackouts. Also the Leagues Cup and all the MLS Next games. This is about the cost of going to one game when you factor parking, food, drink and transportation.

20. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see it that way. Cord cutters drop cable and other services because they don't want to pay for content they have no interest. The idea of streaming services is to pay for the content you want and not for content you don't want. I don't watch cable tv at all these days; it has nothing I am interested in that I can't get from a couple of streaming channel that align to my interests.

Winoman and GlennAA11 repped this.
  21. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Certainly. For those few of us who are already MLS fans (and not season ticket holders) it's not huge amount of money for the whole season. I think the point most folks are making is that casuals aren't likely to pay. And new fans aren't going to be very plentiful given that the games won't be so easily available. How many subscribers does Apply TV have? But I think the argument that they also haven't been plentiful for the 25 years the league was on ESPN either is definitely true also. So trying something different makes sense. For MLS it's a decent amount of money but it will likely mostly be eaten up by production costs. I'm not sure what Apple really is getting out of it other than some experience streaming sports.

shawn12011 repped this.
  22. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Isn't this the exact argument against paying for the entire MLS package when all you want is coverage on one team?

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave Johnson won't be part of the initial Apple TV MLS crew, according to The Athletic.

MLS's first broadcaster announcement can be found here.

24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    They're going to need to add a number of people, especially PBP, given how short that list is and how many matches they will need to cover. Shame about Twellman, but I suppose that's not a huge surprise.

sitruc repped this.