Apple TV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Oct 5, 2022.

?

Will you be willing to pay Apple to watch DC United games?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This thing is gonna fail just as badly as FloSports. MLS fans are not gonna be willing to pay Apple to watch home games. I know I will not. 2 years in MLS is gonna break this deal.

Chesco United repped this.
  2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know. Every season ticket holder will have free access to this service. That's around 15K per team average. I would guess the same people who purchased direct kick or the ESPN package will follow it to AppleTV.

majspike, sitruc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Free does not make Apple or MLS any money. ;)

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll probably switch to Apple TV from some other streaming service. It doesn't bother me that much. Why does it bother you?

My biggest concern is that they seem to be ditching all the local MLS announcing teams. As a non-local fan, Dave Johnson *IS* DC United. I'm really saddened to see him let go. I'm not sure where Apple is going to find enough announcers that know MLS by next season. We're probably going to be forced to listen to British people. Ugh. I'm less than thrilled by that prospect.

dadman, Dan Kohner, majspike and 9 others repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I’m in the @Q*bert Jones III camp. As professional sports (which includes college football and basketball) continue their “evolution”, they will attempt to monetize everything related to the sport. Thursday night NFL is now on Amazon Prime, ESPN always has only been available on cable or some streaming service, same for BeIn, Peacock and Paramount. Like all other consumer purchases, you have to decide if the value is worth the expense.

Alejandro 10, sitruc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  6. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Nice story by Goff on DJ D.C. United broadcaster Dave Johnson sees role end with MLS changes - The Washington Post

Not "seem" to be ditching - they definitely "are" ditching all current local broadcast teams. They will have a pool of 15-16 regular broadcast teams with extra announcers for substitutes and feature work. Some current announcers will definitely be among the pool but it definitely wont be the same. With DJ's other announcing gigs it is unlikely he would go full time to MLS/Apple exclusively and it's unknown how much flexibility MLS/Apple will give the announcers to do other sports/work.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  7. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'm guessing one will need an AppleTV device for this, no matter what. Or watch in an iPhone or iPad.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm pretty sure you can watch Apple TV on Roku.

Dan Kohner and ImNumberTen repped this.
  9. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I’m an AppleTV subscriber. No equipment needed for my Samsung smart tv. I got a free one-year subscription when I upgraded my Mac, and I got hooked on “See” and “Foundation” among other content.

Will I pay extra to see all DC United games? No. Not until they put a product on the pitch that’s worth watching.

This is just part of my achingly slow transition away from sports as an entertainment option. Once Ovechkin retires, I’m done with sports altogether.

Winoman repped this.
  10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS right here.

dadman, Daniel le Rouge2 and Winoman repped this.
  11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Apple TV works fine on our LG as well.

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and yet you ignore the second part that the people who pay for ESPN+ and the old DirectKick people will likely pay for a more robust, blackout free, service.

13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need an apple device. The app is available on almost all modern smart TV and OTT devices.

revelation repped this.
  14. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Goff tweeting DCU has issued a statement re: DJ:

Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsider

D.C. United statement on
    @davejsports
    ’ future with the MLS club: “D.C. United have every intention to have him continue with the club in a role that provides him a platform to continue to connect with our fanbase and we look forward to curating this in partnership him.” #dcu
    12:14 PM · Oct 5, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Perhaps it will be doing in-house features and radio play-by-play...

John L, sitruc, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  15. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Well, I get ESPN+ for free, which is definitely more than I would like to pay for their crappy service, so AppleTV would be an increase. I'm sure I'll break down and get it because yet again it is painfully obvious that I am stupid and have a dependence on bad football...

dadman, ImNumberTen, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only thing I stream is the AFL, since it is from Australia and Fox does not always show my team CFC (Carlton Football Club) I have little choice. Also I am more than willing to pay Carlton $123.79 versus paying this DC United train wreck any money. The AFL is where my disposable income goes. I am still and will always be a United fan but I refuse to give one red cent to this FO.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Annoyingly, there is no app for Android phones although they can visit the website.

revelation repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    How do you get it for free? And not pay thru an automatic monthly charge on your credit card which lists dozens of other automatic charges?

19. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Disney+ bundle. I paid for the mouse channel and they threw in ESPN+ and Hulu for free. So technically, I pay but if it weren't in the bundle I wouldn't buy it.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  20. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically you're not getting ESPN+ and Hulu for free - the Disney+ bundle is more than what stand alone Disney+ costs.

Now if you're getting the Disney+ bundle for free through Verizon or some other means, it's one thing. But if you're paying for the Disney+ bundle itself, you're paying for ESPN+, even if you're not paying the full freight for it.

John L repped this.
  21. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    All I know is that it was the same price to get mouse channel vs. the bundle...

22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    https://tv.apple.com/

Works on a desktop but you will need an Apple ID.

Thx,

Jay!

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

There it is.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's not cheap.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to pay more than that for NHL.tv (before they went to ESPN+) and MLB.tv when I subscribed.

Also apparently MLS Live used to be $79 before ESPN+ took that over, too.