Apocalyptic Movies & Books

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Demosthenes, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I just finished reading World War Z and I'm starting on the Walking Dead omnibus tomorrow. And I've been thinking about how much I like apocalyptic stories, and thinking about what makes for a good one, and why they're so intriguing.

Several years ago, I would probably have said my favorite was Stephen King's the Stand (not so much the miniseries). Now I would say Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I realize this is the movie thread and I'm mostly talking about books, but this is a sub-genre usually associated with movies. And of course the Walking Dead has been a recent TV series.

So, what are your favorite apocalyptic books and movies?

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read almost everything Corman McCarthy's written, but I've been putting off The Road -- because I'm a parent and it seems too depressing (even though I've been told repeatedly by other parent/McCarthy lovers to get over it). But I'd imagine that book belongs in this discussion.

In addition, I think 12 Monkeys is just great. Heck, The Matrix probably qualifies as well.

Does Children of Men qualify? Gorgeous film.

3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just finished reading The Postman

Quality book, crap film.

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Two great shouts on 12 Monkeys & Children of Men. Plus it gives a great opportunity to show this incredible 'how did you do that!?' piece of camera work:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en16i8BY4hI"]YouTube - Children of Men tracking shot[/ame]

Also, although not explicit (though what ever is with Beckett?) I always got a very post-apocalyptic feeling off of Waiting for Godot.

1 person likes this.
  5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about Children of Men. Is it an apocalypse movie, or a dystopia? It's interesting because it depicts the period right before the (probable) apocalypse.

And OMG!!one1! I love the movie the Postman. But for all the wrong reasons. "You're just a drifter who found a bag of mail." I say that all the time.

One movie that affected me unexpectedly was 28 Days Later. Although it borrowed somewhat from Triffids and was for the most part fairly conventional zombie fare, the twist ending really stuck with me.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    funny this thread came up. I just bought 'Pariah' today, a satirical (somewhat) zombie tale in Manhattan. I know litte going in apart from Kirkman, the author of WWZ, and Mignola loving it but I'm looking forward to it.

I pretty much love anything 'apocalyptian'. The Road recently was fantastic.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    "The Road" and "The Stand" in terms of novels

The "Jeremiah" series of graphic novels

As for movies... Most of the ones I'd mention have already been listed above.
    I'd add a few unexpected ones though.

"9" (though the short it is based on is probably slightly more powerful)
    Mad Max series (especially II)
    Doomsday (but only if you have a high tolerance for cheese & huge amounts of silliness)

Video games:
    The Fallout series, with a special mention for Fallout III
    Roaming the capital wastelands as a former Vault Dweller is a really powerful experience.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah. Book forum. Bunch of eggheads.

I think the best apocalypse movies are the ones that stay with you for a long time, making you wonder how realistically the scenario played out and what you would do in that situation.

10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ever since I first saw Omega Man, I have been hooked on apocalyptic movies. Strangely, for me, who always prefers the book to the movie, I have not been as much of a fan of the literature, with my only reads being The Stand and The Postman. While I found both books to be superior to the miniseries and the movie, I actually am one of the few people I know who really enjoyed The Postman as a movie. And since I am losing what little credibility I might have had, I might as well admit to liking Costner's other fiasco, Waterworld.

While not liking zombie fare particularly, I did watch The Walking Dead this past week and really enjoyed it precisely because it is far more apocalyptic than zombie. We didn't really see any zombies in the last two episodes at all.

Children of Men may be the best of the genre to show to someone who is wary of the idea.

11. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I always avoided the zombie genre, even hated the Thriller video when it came out. But recently I too just finished World War Z and watched all of the Walking dead and both were excellent! Another zombie/apocalypic book I would recommend is the Passage by Justin Cronin - really great.

Movie wise do the following qualify?

Escape from New York
    Independence Day
    Logans Run
    Planet of the Apes
    Cloverfield

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reading World War Z right now, and loving it. I hope someone makes it into a movie.

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Pitt is starring in it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/

Although, considering the format of the book, I'm not sure who would "star" in it.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome!

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Solarbabies!

1 person likes this.
  16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to say about Waterworld that it had tons of potential. Really great concept. But poorly realized.

17. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Escape from New York - I love that movie, it's kind of post-apocalyptic because within Manhattan the conditions are post-apocalyptic.

Independence Day - Nope; disaster movie

Logans Run - I was thinking about this one today; it's a post-apocalypse masquerading as a dystopia. You don't find out the truth until near the end, though. So it's more dystopia, genre-wise.

Planet of the Apes - Technically fits.

Cloverfield - disaster movie

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    What about 'Tank girl?'

Would that qualify?

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True. But since I love the concept, I like it. Same with Postman.

Oh, and Planet of the Apes definitely qualifies.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Akira technically also qualifies.

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't believe no one has mentioned:

Mad Max

[​IMG]

or

The Road Warrior

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post 7

I agree, though -- film-wise, these are the high-water marks of the genre.

When it comes to literature, everything comes from "Day of the Triffids."

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Harlan Ellison once made fun of me in a book store for buying "Day of the Triffids." Called it a children's book.

I asked him how that Zalman King as the next Marlon Brando prediction was working out.

He wound up recommending Piers Anthony's "Orn" series and TJ Bass' "Half Past Human" series to me, so I did well by the encounter.

All that just to lead in to a mention of Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog."

("Triffids" was made into a movie by the way, and its not as bad as it could have been...)

As far as I know noone ever made a movie of Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon," but it would have made a good one.

How about "Ringworld." If ever there was a book(s) looking to be a movie. It has multiple layers of apocalypse, between the Man-Kzin wars, the virus that destroyed Ringworld's technology, and the explosion at the galactic core that is forcing migration on its sentient species...

I've never seen it, but isn't the Altman film that stars Paul Newman set in a nuclear winter scenario?

Finally, I will quote in its entirety the shortest science fiction story in the world:

"The last man in the world sat alone in a room.

There was a knock on the door."

Atouk and bungadiri repped this.
  24. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Canticle for Lebowitz
    Cloud Atlas
    The Road

The Road really made an impression on me as a parent of 2 young children. The situation is absolutely dire but the story of the man and the boy is beautiful and heartbreaking. It's the only book that made me cry as an adult. I finished it at night when my kids were asleep and I had to go sit with them for an hour! It was also the first Cormac McCarthy book I read and that dude is one powerful writer. Absolutely love his stuff.

Cloud Atlas doesn't get post-apocalyptic until the final 2 stories but it's a kickass book.

25. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It was also made into a 1980's BBC TV series which was good if you don't mind low production values and a recent BBC TV series which I have not seen.

And I second the recommendation for Fallout 3. Of all the Fallout series, this gives the best emotional impact of a post-apocalyptic world, and being a role playing game it gives a much richer, more relatable, and more detailed experience than any movie or TV series can do.