Aparently Figo still on the market

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by bigtimebuck4, Feb 13, 2007.

1. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
  2. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    I don't think MLS really wants a guy like Figo, not because of his class as a player - but his attitude. He's been quoted as saying that his Saudi Arabian venture and any possible MLS venture would be for him to cash in on easy games. He's just doesn't take the league seriously enough

3. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Last year:
    "SI.com: This might be your final interview. Any names you want to drop? David Beckham? Luís Figo? Ronaldo?

Djorkaeff: [Laughs.] One of them. I know because we talk about it a lot. One is very interested, and I think it will happen."
    Becks is making the jump. Ronaldo made the jump...back to Italy. Figo? Sounds like the one very interested.

4. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, since we can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Beckham was interested ... wouldn't that likely be the one that Youri was referring to?? or am i missing something?

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I came to the same conclusion. So either you and I are morons - quite possible;) - OR the Youri quote doesn't have much relevance to Figo since he could have easily meant Becks and that's already happened.

6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    He (Figo) didn't really say anything - The author of the article is the one mentioning MLS - NOT Figo - He'll go where there's more money in the long run - The only way NYRB could compete is to offer him a spokesman job with Red Bull internationally AFTER he retires from active soccer - Not saying this is going to happen, but only something like this would convince Figo to come here to MLS -

In the end, my bet is that he goes to Saudi Arabia

7. njzorrooo

njzorrooo Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I said before and say it again, Saudi Arabia is a negotiating ploy. Whether NYRB wants him or not, or whether the price is right or not I can't say, but I don't believe any of the quotes attributed to Figo unless they come from a reliable publication. He's a hard-working professional and would expect him to bring that attitude to MLS if he came.

8. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
  9. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I hate Figo's comments, but the reality is that he prolly would be still a damn good player here all things being considered- even if he's made the 'holiday' comment here/there.

He doesn't strike me as the type that will get lazy/fat during his time. Maybe less intense.

Just depends what he wants for compensation.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Disagree here. Sure Figo has skill but you have to get stuck in here. Not a Figo specialty. SInce he won't have the same types of players to play off of getting stuck in/physical will be even more important. Does he want to deal with that?

Will he handle the heat well?

Sorry, I don't think he would do well here.

MLS is not just about having skill to compete anymore. You have to have someone willing to work also, and to spend big $$$ on a guy like this is a tough, tough call.

If I am a GM I pass.

11. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

As much as I've liked Figo's playmaking ability in the past, I think that he's at a point in his career where the fire just isnt there anymore. For the price tag, we could probably bring in two kids from South America with their fire intact. Now if you are bringing in Figo because of his fan drawing power then by all means get him like yesterday. Now if it's skills you are after lets try the two young kids from South America that are looking to get their names out there!

12. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I love the idea of splashing the cash on two young guys, but I wouldn't pay to come see them...until MAYBE a few months down the road once they've gotten me excited about how awesome they are...that's IF they pan out. Figo I WOULD go to see...until 2 months later when he's proven that he doesn't give a rats' A about sticking his neck out to make plays.

13. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Also, I HATE the idea that we're competing with middle-eastern leagues for ANY player. It might not say anything to the average sports fan, but to a lot of soccer fans it puts us on the same level as a clearly inferior league. No bueno.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Well, the middle east is considered nothing but an easy cash grab in Europe. Plain and simple. Nothing else.

Even over in Europe the "tough, work, hard, mindset" prevails for MLS from what I have heard. MLS may not be a great league ITO but at least you have to work, and people understand that MLS can and will become at least a decent league while the middle east is just easy money. There seems to be an understood difference at least.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, the shiekhs don't care. They buy a Figo like they buy a Rolls. It almost doesn't matter if you even drive it. When the smart money sees you've taken Middle East money, the smart money hesitates.

16. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But in terms of a long term investment, the young guys are better. You said it yourself after a while you wouldn't want to see FIGO anymore. The best way to make this league grow is by creating talent that eventually ends up on the USMNT. Then the USMNT must play against big teams and WIN! This gives those younger players a windor to be seen all over the world.