News: AP Reporting That Subotic has picked Serbia - No Quotes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Dec 19, 2008.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :confused:

2. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's anything this saga has taught us, it's that we won't really know until we same him in a game for whichever team he chooses.

3. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its pretty clear hes picked Serbia by now, but he hasn't made a official announcement in that regard. He probably made a verbal promise to Serbian coach or his teammate (also on Serbian NT). He also hasn't specifically come and said anything because he wants to keep his options open until the end of the season.

I'm speculating but this makes the most sense to me of the entire situation.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    1. You provided a link. Read the comments made after your post.

2. That same link has been dissected in other threads, including this one, iirc. (Could be wrong.). Read the comments about that link.

3. Read what Sunil Gulati's (sorry for the previous misspelling) statements about Subotic.

They all point to the fact that absolutely no decision has been made, that these reports out of Serbia are spurious.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Nah, most people were discrediting the posted articles because they provided no actual quotes from Serbia's coach. This one was different, not only because it contained real quotes but because the manager was not equivocal about the matter at all. Unless the manager is just lying through his teeth, I can't see Subotic playing for us at this point.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    no... read what KALM says...

believe me, I discredited the previous reports too... but these seem a lot more legit since the coach has given quotes... Neven doesnt list himself as just Serbian on his website, so who knows... but I think this one is 95% in the bag for Serbia

7. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How reliable is this website? Is this thing the official mouthpiece of the Serbian FA, or is it more something looking for a lot of traffic by fabricating an attention-grabbing quote, or is it something in between?

8. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Neven is done. He will play for Serbia. My reasons why I believe so:

1) If he wanted to play for us, he would have already done so.

2) He once said "I don't even know what my options are" before he realized he couldn't play for Germany. Thus, he never really desired to play for the U.S. The USSF was just his enabler to go on to play for a professional team.

3) He doesn't want to say that he will play for Serbia now because he fears there could be some sort of complication in playing for Serbia, just like there was when he wanted to play for Germany. Thus, U.S will always be his last choice.

4) I don't want to be disappointed when he really does play for the Serbian National Team.

9. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You could just as easily label that a list of reasons why he won't play for Serbia. All you would need to do is swap the countries' names throughout the text.

Nobody knows what he is going to do. Maybe not even him.

10. paks

paks Member

Oct 5, 2003
    united states
    This was confirmed by the Serbian coach, Radomir Antic, in an interview with the Serbian website B92. Now (the federation) is working intensively on taking care of formalities and getting him Serbian citizenship. [/QUOTE]

I have not seen this covered so forgive me if it has been. But I know the reason he could not play for Germany was because he did not have his citizenship with them when he played for the US. So how is this any different?

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's not that he didn't have citizenship, more like he wasn't eligible for citizenship.

W/ Serbia (and, actually, Bosnia as well), he was and forever will be eligible for citizenship b/c of birthright/heritage.

12. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    I don't care who he chooses Serbia or US as long as this ends. I guess no one told Subotic to poop or get off the pot.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Actually, what no one seems to remember is that Subotic has repeatedly stated that he will wait until next summer to announce his decision.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see, but I suspect that this statement, along with the one that the reason why he hadn't made a decision was to concentrate on his club soccer (when it was proably to see if he qualified for Germany or NOT), lacks veracity.

15. Wasted

Wasted New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Louisville
    When I see a direct quote from him reported by a reputable source I'll believe it. Otherwise this goes in my "not bloody likely" file.

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    there's a drop dead date, just like the rossi affair..

until it gets settled, who cares all that much..

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of these reports mean a darn thing, of course, unless accompanied by a press release from FIFA that he's filed his paperwork.

Until then, the All-Neven, All-the-Time Sub-committee presents another clip from that new classic, Neven Subotic's Day Off...

Ladies and gentlemen, you are such a wonderful crowd, we'd like to play a little tune for you. It's one of my personal favorites and I'd like to dedicate it to a young man who doesn't think he's seen anything good today - Thomas Rongen, this one's for you.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Neven! Get off of the float!

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it wasn't citizenship eligibility, but playing for Germany eligibility that put the kibosh on his appointment to their Mannschaft.

19. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to beat a dead horse. But it was my understanding that in order to be eligible to switch from his current provisional affiliation [the US] which he can do before he is 21, to Germany he would've had to have been eligible for German citizenship at the time he chose to play for the US. He was not at the time. He was eligible for Bosnian and Serbian citizenship, and therefore they are still options available to him. German, however, was not. The fear was that Germany might somehow seek to influence FIFA to fudge that determination or change that rule. They did not do so.