News: AP Reporting That Subotic has picked Serbia - No Quotes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Dec 19, 2008.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/national/2008-12-19-subotic-serbia_N.htm

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic has decided to play international football for Serbia instead of the United States.
    Serbia coach Radomir Antic said Friday the Bosnian-born Subotic, who holds an American passport and has played for the United States at under-17 level, has opted to join Serbia's senior national team.

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think US Soccer handled Subotic like the collective bunch of morons that they are (apologies to the one or two folks at the fed who have gone to see the wizard and have a brain, a heart and some courage), but I'm sorta glad he is supposedly choosing Serbia.

I still pull for Rossi - at the club level anyway - but Subotic will never be anything more than a Serbian soccer player with a German girlfriend who knows how to handle a pole.

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'll believe it when I hear it from him.

But honestly, if somebody doesn't really want to play for the US, then it's better if they go elsewhere.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    best of luck to him, where ever he decides to play.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.. hopefully it's all done with now. I am not going to blame anyone because I just don't think Neven wanted to play for us once he moved back to Germany.

Time to soldier on...

It would have been nice, but we'll survive.

6. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all Bush's fault. ha ha.

7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Another traitor shows his true colors!!!!

Kidding. Would've been nice to see him opt for the U.S., but I guess those are the breaks. Like others have said, it's the player's decision, and apparently he's made his. I still wish him well...unless he's playing against the U.S., of course.

8. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
  9. shadowmwo

shadowmwo Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs Subotic?? He's only a ********ing defender..We can always get a good defender , I could see if it was like a forward or maybe even a mid fielder...but a defender? Nah , We dont need him. Good luck with him. Im not that upset that we lost him because hes a defender , there for he doesnt score goals for us. :)

10. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    Wasn't Syd Barrett the Crazy Diamond?

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deleted.. was going to talk about Floyd.. but didn't want to get way off topic

12. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Wait wait wait one second. Seltzer says (in the comment section of his most recent post) that either the coach or the reporter is, in his own words, 'full of it.'

Don't jump the gun again.

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the words of the immortal Sandon Mibut, "Our long national nightmare is finally over."

14. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Until this kid says it I'm not believing it. It could be true but I want to hear it from him because we have been down this road before.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    it will be once he actually suits up and plays for either Serbia or the US.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I won't believe anything (that he's "joined" anybody, including the US) until I've heard quotes from the Subotic camp or I see his name on an official call-up list.

JuanPeron is right. This one may or may not have substance, but we've heard this all before.

(I won't really be surprised with his decision either way, to be honest.)

17. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the first, it'll be settled before he plays for Serbia, because he has to file the paperwork to exercise his one-time change of associations.

On the second, there's also the theoretical possibility of his 21st birthday passing.

18. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No quotes from anyone, except Gulati who denies it. It doesn't mean anything until Neven actually confirms it.

Serbia is probably just trying to put pressure on Subotic, especially the part when they say he'll immediately move into the lineup next to Vidic.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Secondly, I must say I'm really pissed off with the way that Serbia is handling this, whether or not there's any truth to the rumor. I don't like the way they keep playing this out in the media, making announcements when there's none to make and such, trying to ratchet up the pressure publicly. (This one may or may not have substance to it, we have no way of knowing yet, but the first was baseless.)

I really do hope that we both qualify, get drawn into the same group, and then we can really take it out on them for this, a beautiful 3-0 thumping. With or without Subotic. This is just not cool. I can totally understand wanting him; it could be argued that they have as much "right" to him as we do, but this is not the way it should be done.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't you get it?

This week, powerful members of BS (me) formed the social group The sub-Committee to Enact an All-Subotic, All-the-time Sub-Forum on teh BS. W/in a couple of days, the Serbian coach goes spouting off, revealing one of BS's most anticipated moves in like... HISTORY...

We're like the Masons, or the Illuminati. We're everywhere.

And there's nothing you can do about it except to join the cause.

EDIT: We're so powerful, that we hid the Serbian coach's comments from the press... just ... "releasing" the information through and to our powerful media connections.

EDIT2: We're so powerful, that we hid the "last edited by uclacarlos at X pm".

21. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether he has officially announced as yet, I completely expect him to choose Serbia. Playing Qualies for Serbia involves a lot less travel time. And to be honest, they are on a par with the US, or maybe better.
    He doesn't want to play for us, so fine. Next.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Please don't tell me you have ceremonial aprons...

23. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    I've already said it once now for a second time....

eff'um

24. Iwazrobbed

Iwazrobbed New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Meh, if it's true, I knew Subotic would probably favor Serbia over us. He'll have a much harder time breaking into the Serbian defense, though. His competition at CB will be Ivanovic, Jovanovic, Rajkovic, and of course, Vidic. That's pretty deep in terms of CB's.