Anything new about red stars rejoining the WPS?

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by Fanaddict, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    headline asks it all

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I cannot find the article for the life of me at the moment, but I did read (explicitly) that CHI's ownership group didn't seem strong enough for WPS again yet. Then of course there was the implicit statement here that any expansion in the central region wouldn't happen until after 2013 West coast expansion.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the last I saw and heard of the CRS last August, from what I understand they were down to maybe 2 of the original (don't quote me) 7 or so owners from year one.
    Arnim Whisler took over as the main owner. They did fine in WPSL last season but costs were nowhere near what they are in WPS. How much does it cost to drive to Milwaukee 3 or 4 times in cars and vans as compared to flying to California or east coast? and no or little if any player salaries.

Arnim should be commended for keeping the team and the name Chicago Red Stars going. I would think though that he may need more investor money to go back to WPS.

I would love to hear from Arnim on these boards what the future of the Chicago Red Stars holds and if WPS is part of it.

4. FlynnChrisJ

FlynnChrisJ New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For what it's worth, in talking with some of the owners & CEO, everything I've heard to points to no midwest expansion anywhere for quite a while. It sounds like they're regionalizing to save costs. A team where outside of the East Coast would be detrimental for operating costs for all current teams. That's why if they look to bring in teams from the West Coast for 2013, they will have to do so as a group to form a new division. My two cents.