Anyone seen/met anyone famous in SA?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by happythegooner, Jun 14, 2010.

1. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Kevin who organised our Capetown meet at Camps Bay tells me he met Mick Jagger at a friends house a few days ago.
    Declare us joint winners already:p

2. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You win - The Arch and Rubber Lips - what a combo!

3. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very minor but Gerrard Houllier at Joburg airport and sat in front of Carlton Palmer on way home.

4. whizzergo

whizzergo Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    We walked past the whole Dutch squad walking back through Sandton the day after their win over Brazil.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I waited in line for the cable car to get off Table Mountain next to the ESPN guy, Adrian Healey, and his family. Missed most of the first half of the Holland v Brazil game because the line was so long.

6. EastTerracer

EastTerracer New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Arsene Wenger, Aime Jacquet, Roger Milla, Alan Shearer, David Pleat, Michael Robinson, Mick McCarthy, Matt Holland, Ray Houghton, Martin Tyler and John Harkes. I saw some on their way into the stadium and then others wandering around Sandton City waiting for the next game.

7. EastTerracer

EastTerracer New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    ....and I almost forgot about Bora Milutinovic (since he seems to turn up at every World Cup).

8. samconnie

samconnie Member

Feb 22, 2006
    toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i think i saw Elvis

9. EastTerracer

EastTerracer New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    It does seem like that in Sandton - all these old footballers who haven't been heard of in years. I wouldn't mind a place in the FIFA inner circle though - thay live a very nice life!

10. ruban07

ruban07 New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Day One for us at Heathrow Airport we saw Mark Bright, Ray Houghton, Matt Holland. One the plane we sat next to Alan Smith (Arsenal legend). Then at Passport Control in Jo'Berg 11 hours later we met Sir Bobby Charlton (no VIP treatment for him - shocking!). Then after baggage collection we turn around and see Sir Bobby talking to a man in a wheelchair....on closer inspection its Eusebio!! Two legends together! Managed to get a pic with Eusebio. Downhill after that - David Pleat and Jose Chilavert at Jo'Berg airport going to Cape Town.

What a trip!

11. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Eoin Hand, Uwe Seeler, Marcel Desailly Garth Crooks. Does Giles Grimandi count? No thought not. :D

12. VICM

VICM New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Glenn Hoddle and Terry Venables on 2/7 on flight (shirts signed !)

Carlos Parreira in Mandela Square, Sandton (shirt signed !)

BBC's Mark Bright at Soccer City and Colin Murray on Long Street, Cape Town

Lee Dixon on my flight to the Durban semi that was re-routed to JoBerg :mad:

And the best of all, last night in JoBerg airport SHAKIRA (signature, photos) :D

13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i have always wondered. what does she look like up close and personal? as good as on tv?

14. yessam1277

yessam1277 Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Haiti
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    some of you might not know him if you don't follow the NBA

But I met Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo in Jo'burg airport on Monday after the final.

15. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Thats quite a mouth full:D

16. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds like the chorus of Waka Waka!:p

17. VICM

VICM New Member

Jun 1, 2006
  18. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Rofl

19. Beautiful Game 2010

Jul 11, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    On the day before the Holland-Uruguay Semifinal, we saw Mick Jagger while watching the penguins at Boulders (near Cape Town). He was there for quite a while. Although one of his bodyguards said "no pictures", I did manage to shoot some video of him watching the penguins (I mainly shot video of the penguins, however, since they were more interesting).

20. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hugo Sanchez, the Mexican / Real Madrid legendari phi chi chi at the Joburg airport on the way to Durban for Nederlands vs Japan. Just one unfortunately. :(

21. Murlsy

Murlsy New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Carrollton
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ran into Carlos Tabares and the whole coaching staff from Uruguay on Long Street in Cape Town. They looked as lost as I was trying to find a good place to eat.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I saw Mick too. He was having dinner with his wife/girlfriend at the table next to mine at a restaurant in Cape Town's V&A Waterfront neighbourhood.