Anyone remember "Soccer Made In Germany"?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by unclesox, Apr 11, 2003.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: High Wide and ......

Finally getting to listen to the show.

Great stuff Gaffer.

Also, Ron Cruz - I wonder if that is the FC Köln supporter on Bigsoccer of the same name?

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: High Wide and ......

Yes, it is. :p

3. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    Remember ???? How could I forget !!!!!

Here's a thread that's after my heart. It went like this:

early 80's, Denver CO, PBS/ Ch 6, weekend's at 3PM, watching many, many Buda liga games. I knew the Bayern roster top to bottom w/ such notables as Mathias, Voller, Schumacher, the Rummenigge bro's. Eighth class photo I was sporting a Bayern home red kit.

The phrase " oh and a chance heeeerrrrreeee " still haunts me.

;)

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this thread! Like many of you, SMIG was my first introduction to top level soccer. I made me a fan. Karl Heinz Rummenigge was the king of soccer and it seemed like Kaiserslautern was on every week. It's sad to see how far they've fallen. One of my best moments was taking my 15 year old son to a Bayer Leverkusen 04 game last year in Leverkusen.

Unbelievably, one of the pre-game songs was the theme song from SMIG! I got chills down my back when it played. Does anyone know the name of the song?

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unfortunately I can't help you. Maybe somebody else...

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    SMIG was still running in the early 90s right?

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No. It stopped being shown on PBS around 1988.
    And as I recall, Toby Charles last comentated on SMIG matches during the 1982/83 season.
    On the last day of that season, Toby did the Schalke-Hamburg match while a newcomer, Alan Fountain, did the Werder Bremen-Bochum match.
    Bremen and Hamburg were level on points but Hamburg had an 8-goal differential over Werder.
    Bremen's 3-2 win over Bochum wasn't enough as HSV beat Schalke 2-1.
    The following season, Alan Fountain took over as the regular SMIG commentator.

In 1992 ESPN showed a weekly half-hour highlights show called "German Soccer Highlights" which was hosted by Toby Charles.
    I believe that was the only time ESPN had the Bundesliga on.

8. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Alan Fountain...if I'm not mistaken he's one of the guys who do the English live commentary of Bundesliga matches these days (single commentators paid by the league, not those GolTV guys).

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, he's still around. :cool: He did the Dortmund-Bayern 1:1 draw a few weeks back.

10. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dirk, alan fountain was the commentator who did the bremen bayern match on the weekend that you were talking about!

unclesox, then what program did they do in english after that? From the very early 90s i watched a program with alan fountain commentating

11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sorry, I'm not aware of Bundesliga being on U.S. tv during the early 90s apart from that ESPN show in 1992. Would love to know if anyone else here remembers.
    It could be that the local station here in the Modesto/Sacramento region didn't show whatever it is you're talking about. Wouldn't surprise me as once I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area in 1984 I found a significant lack of soccer coverage on the local tv stations here. SIN/Univision was about it. :(

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The US? I started watching this in the Seychelles where I lived from 1990 onward :D

I think we got the highlights with extended highlights of one game within, and 1-2 full games per week. Not totally sure about the 2nd part.

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :D lol
    Well, I'm aware that SMIG was distributed around the world in a variety of languages.
    The SMIG I'm speaking about only included a one-hour edit of a solitary Bundesliga match (no highlights from other matches) and was shown approx. 3-4 weeks after the match was actually played.
    But you've really got me interested in knowing what show that was you were watching!

I wouldn't doubt that Bundesliga games continued to be shown weekly around the world, but we didn't get them here in the U.S. As Toby Charles mentioned in that EPL Talk interview, it was probably a matter of rights issues and the high cost that prevented PBS or any other U.S. network showing the Bundesliga post-1988.
    I personally had to rely on Deutsch-Welle on shortwave radio for Bundesliga results from the late-80s throughout the 90s.

14. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow...you sometimes forget there was a time before the internet:)

15. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Excellent, so he was the commentator who enjoys seeing Bayern get thrashed ;)

16. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    I Definitely Remember "Soccer Made In Germany"?

Unclesox: I had travelled around in West Germany in 1976 so the next year, I think, I got seriously interested in the Bundesliga when I first started seeing Soccer Made In Germany and I remember the last day of the 1977-78 season with the title up for grabs between Cologne and Moenchengladbach. At the time it looked to me like the St. Pauli Millerntor stadium(where Cologne won by 0:5 to clinch the championship)was the scene of a night game(perhaps there were heavy overcast conditions over Hamburg that day)and based on that belief I couldn't make sense of the idea that the games featuring Cologne and Gladbach were taking place at the same time. I too watched pretty much every game that was put on all the way through the 1987-88 season when the broadcasts stopped.

I also have a bit of memory of Star Soccer. I think that only ran on free TV for one season and I remember the first game starting things off with a bang as Liverpool handily beat Tottenham by 7:0. Alas, things were never so good after the opener but I think Liverpool won another rout by 5:0 later that season against Derby County. Somehow, though, I could never get interested in the English League like I did in the Bundesliga.

17. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Corrected Tobyism

I think you mean "a SECOND bite of the cherry".

18. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    That Bayern Drubbing By Duesseldorf

That was the match(at the Duesseldorfer Rheinstadion)where Sepp Maier made the "eyeglasses" gesture at the referee following a debatable penalty call against Bayern. Fortuna won the match by 7:1.

19. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    That Bundesliga Magic

I felt back in those "good old days" that the Bundesliga had some magical and mystical quality to it. That is why the BL kept my interest much more and for a lot longer than other leagues like the Premiership and Serie A.

20. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: That Bayern Drubbing By Duesseldorf

I have vague recollections of Star Soccer. I do remember first watching during the 78-79 season, when Mario Machado did the commentary. He continued with the 1979-80 season but then for the 1980-81 season they had what I suppose was the ITV international feed with legendary UK commentator Brian Moore handling the commentary. What I loved about that show was they would show a 2-hour special edition for the League Cup final.

Anyone remember that little booklet Soccer Digest? I used to subscribe to that and they had some great articles but they were very behind with their news, by at least two months!
    I came to this conclusion one week when I received an issue in early 1981 and they listed the quarterfinal draw for the European Cup, which included Liverpool-CSKA Sofia and Bayern Munich-Banik Ostrava.
    That following weekend Star Soccer showed Tottenham-Liverpool, and at the beginning while the players were shown warming up Brian Moore made the comment, "And on screen there is Ray Kennedy, the man who scored the all-important goal in Munich to put Liverpool into the European Cup final."
    I was like, "WHAT?!" :eek: :D

That was probably the one match I laughed the most at. Poor Sepp Maier was classic in that one. :D

21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I was living in California and remember watching it on KPBS in San Diego ; one hour shows :)

22. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Those Hard Men of the BL and Their Pantyhose

I recall a game like that. Stuttgart was playing at the Neckarstadion vs. Kaiserslautern. There was a good bit of snow on the ground on that occasion. VfB won the match by either 3:0 or 3:1.

23. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Multiple West German Sides Deep, UEFA Cup, 1 Season

I seem to remember a year where 4 or 5 West German clubs made it deep into the UEFA Cup competition(of course, my memory could well be seriously flawed). Frankfurt eliminated Bayern along the way and beat Gladbach in the final. Kaiserslautern was another club that went pretty deep into the competition that season before going out. I couldn't think who else from the Bundesliga might have advanced to the latter stages of the competition, however.

24. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Multiple West German Sides Deep, UEFA Cup, 1 Season

thats 1979 and it was all FOUR semifinalists who were german

gladbach
    stuttgart
    bayern
    eintracht frankfurt

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/history/season=1979/intro.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Cup_1979-80

25. jonjrob

jonjrob New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    yeah...i remember it well. I grew up in SJ so I got it on KBHK channel 44. I was a big alan simonsen fan and I hated FC Koln. Toby Charles was great.