anyone remember laserdiscs?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by olckicker, Nov 5, 2004.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Mine is collecting dust because I don't have a spare tv for it. I still have some good discs thought: Fantasia, Vampire Princess Miyu, Bambi...

2. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    My brother has Braveheart on disc :D

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is the difference between the two? One digital and one......laser or something? I remember in the 6th grade my buddy had a brand new entertainment center with a laserdisc player and speakers and crap. Now he watches DVD's on his desktop computer.

4. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Laserdiscs are larger than DVDs, approximately similar in size to old 33 records.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I still owned a laserdiscs player, but I got no disc to play with.

6. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i used to use mine as a CD player... only have one LaserDisc though.... Deal of the Century... it's a chevy chase film from 1983.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The library where I work has 6 laser disks. We would have over 500 if not for a really alert cataloger who reads all the technology magazines, where he learned of the advent of the CD-Rom and the DVD.... He cancelled plans for hundreds of orders just before they got sent out. A less alert cataloger, and we would have a really fine collection of outdated technology to donate to some museum some day.

We caught a similar break on Beta, so I'm told.