Anyone miss Wiltord?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by naggi, Nov 26, 2003.

1. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Since the team is playing really well, but we still have many injuries, I was wondering what you would do when injured players return. Clearly PV4 would go back into the side. Lauren probably should as well, since the Lauren-Kolo-Sol-Ash line-up worked very well for us. The odd man out in the team seems to be Wiltord. It seems prettly clear that the team is better when he is not on the pitch. We've written him off in the past, but then he scored very important goals for us. Unless Henry gets injured (heaven forbid), what is Wiltord's role?

2. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
  3. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Wiltord's role (when he comes back) remains the same; namely, play where he's asked when he's asked. The call may come less often now that FL is playing well and JA is starting to show his readiness but I'd expect him to get more than a few chances if Arsenal think they can get any money for him. I'd also expect him to do well with those chances since he'll be motivated to look good.

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Although if it came down to it, I think Wenger will go with experience over youth. Wiltord's there when you need him.

6. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Agreed! But, since he will be gone, or have agreed to go, in January, it's all academic now anyway!

7. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    Oh? Do tell. Suppose Henry goes to Real?

I like Sylvain Wiltord. He is a solid 13th man. I always miss a Wiltord who scores. Remember, at this point in the 2002-2003 season Wiltord had 7 goals, which the Gunners could sure use, if Bergkamp isn't going to contribute them. Luckily, Freddie and Pires are coming around. I'm still not sold on Aliadiere, but...We'll see.

8. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    there is nothing to suppose. he's not. he's stated it again and again. he's happy here and wenger is not going to let him go for any price

9. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Suppose Wenger axed himself and ran his own @ss out of town on a rail.

One does not sell such a player if one wants to win, because one cannot hope to find his shadow in another player, much less his equal. Henry is the most exciting player in the game right now, bar none, hands down. Most days he is literally uncontainable. I'd rather sell Vieira than Henry, right now. At least that wouldn't be as stupid.

10. ZZ10

ZZ10 New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    PARIS
    Sure Wiltord did not have a "dream" season so far but he is still a million times better and more useful than Kanu who should have been sold a long time ago.
    Give Aliadiere a REAL chance to settle and I am sure he will be a solid partner for TH14

11. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    This question may become moot in January. He may be offered as bait to entice a striker. However, if he's still around after the January window, we'll need him. We could possibly be involved in 4 competitions simultaneoulsy (league and FA cups, PL and CL). Jeffers and Pennant are on loan and they both play positions Wiltord plays for us. We'll need some experience upfront if we progress in the league cups. I was never a huge Wiltord fan but he served a purpose last year. He was the main striker in our FA cup run and came up with crucial goals or was instrumental in extremely hardfought wins at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge. Furthermore the squad is thin and we're suspectible to injuries and further suspensions. Lead striker or partner for Henry? Probably not, but useful? Certainly.

12. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    I'd agree with that.

I don't really think there are that many good partners for Henry in the Premiership, actually. Beattie is close, I suppose, but he's not exactly finesse. Bollocks on Mark Viduka. Soccer needs his sorry self like soccer needs another 94-95 season. Maybe go get Ailton from Schalke...not.

13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may need to raise my verbal abuse shield after this one but......I posted on anouther board that I thought Landon Donavan would be a perfect replacement for Wiltord. He has outragous pace almost at Henry levels and plays a very good one touch passing game with quick feet and vision. I always have thought he would fit well within Arsenal's system because of that. People that post about him always say he should go to MAN-suck-U but I don't think that would suit him...Given our manager's appartent neglect of American Talent I don't think I'll hold me breath.

* onionsack covers his head*..Shields up.

14. gunnersfan666

gunnersfan666 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Minnesota,USA
    No, when Bergkamp retires Wiltord will be a perfect every day partner with TH. I think Aliadiere will pan out just fine.

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I miss van der Vaart. Actually, I miss that we don't have him, nor are we likely to get him, unless it's in the "dwinkler Selling Henry to Real Doomsday Scenario"

16. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah, and only added 3 more the rest of the campaign; which ended how???

17. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    Not quite, we have Daniel Karbassiyoon, 19 y.o. and played in America's U17 and U19 teams.

Aliadiere impresses me a lot.

18. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought this "our squad is thin" stuff was bollocks at the start of the season. How can you still trot out this rubbish with the results we've had in recent games with players such as Vieira, Keown, Lauren, Bergkamp, Parlour and even Gilberto and Wiltord missing? Not to mention Volz, Pennant and Jeffers being out on loan. Give it up for God's sake, our squad is as deep as any in the league.

Is this a joke? It speaks volumes that Wenger is prepared to tell him that there's a deal on the table and he should take it or leave it. The bloke's had three seasons to establish himself as a first choice now and hasn't done it. And there doesn't seem to be a clamour for his signature when the transfer window opens either. I'd be quite happy to see him sit out his contract and get him off the wage bill if someone doesn't come in for him.