anyone know the rosters for that 98 win vs. brasil?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by miked9, Nov 19, 2004.

1. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it wasn't brasil's full squad, but there were a few first-teamers there, right? romario, dunga, cafu maybe?

my brother just asked me and i can't find it online...

mods--feel free to move this if it's necessary

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'm sure you could find it somewhere (samsarmy.com?), but I'm going to try to go completely off memory...

GK: Keller
    D: Hejduk, Lalas, Balboa, Agoos
    MF: Stewart, Harkes, Ramos, Jones
    F: Preki, McBride

I have absolutely no idea about any of these guys other than Keller and Preki, it's purely me trying to remember.

3. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found it on Sams-Army website...

Kasey Keller 9.51
    Mike Burns 6.20 Eddie Pope 7.30 Alexi Lalas 6.09 Jeff Agoos 5.98
    Frankie Hejduk 5.64 Joe-Max Moore 6.23 John Harkes 6.15 Cobi Jones 6.20
    Roy Wegerle 5.57 Eric Wynalda 6.52

Substitutes:
    60': Predrag Radosavljevic 8.45 in for Roy Wegerle
    81': Brian McBride 5.92 in for Eric Wynalda

4. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I'm pretty sure Romario was there. As I recall, Keller made several jaw-dropping, unbelievable saves on him, and afterwards Romario congratulated Keller and told him he had never played against a 'keeper as good as Keller was that night, or something to that effect.

5. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    found it

February 10, 1998 –L.A. Coliseum, Los Angeles, Calif. – CONCACAF Gold Cup, Semifinal
    United States 1 Preki Radosavljevic 65’
    Brazil 0
    Attendance: 12,298

USA — Kasey Keller, Mike Burns, Alexi Lalas, Eddie Pope, Jeff Agoos, Frankie Hejduk, John Harkes, Joe-Max Moore, Cobi Jones, Eric Wynalda (Brian McBride 81), Roy Wegerle (Preki Radosavljevic, 60).
    BRA — Taffarel, Ze Maria, Junior Baiano, Goncalves, Mauro da Silva (Doriva, 7), Junior, Edmundo, Flavio Conceicao (Marcos dos Santos Assuncao, 71), Zinho, Sergio Manoel (Elber, 76), Romario

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And :cough: Steve :cough: Sampson as coach.....

7. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you can probably find 100,000 who say they were there. I was, by the way. :)

8. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a link to Soccertimes' article on the game:

http://www.soccertimes.com/international/1998/feb10.htm

It mentions my most vivid memory of the game. Keller had just stoned Romario three or four times within a couple of minutes. Brazil crosses the ball and Romario redirects a solid header towards the corner of the goal from just outside the six yard box. Keller not only stops a difficult ball, but also gives up no rebound. Romario waited for Keller to get up, extended his hand, and shook Keller's hand as a sign of respect.

To this day, I still believe that was the best individual U.S. performance in one game that I've ever seen.

9. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I was there too :D

My brother and I were one of the first people to be let in the stadium. We sat in the first row right at midfield. I remember thinking that Edmundo was a beast. When Preki scored, I didn't think the ball went in but my brother was going crazy so I did too. I remeber getting mad at the ref because he wouldnt blow the final whistle. And after game, Heydude threw his jersey to a group of fans but we tried to get him to throw it to us. We were waving a flag like mad but he ran right by us. That would have been a cool souvenir, a sweaty Heydude jersey.

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there. I remember the Mexicans who were showing up for the second match being pretty pissed off that the lowly gringos had just beaten Brasil as we were leaving...

That match was also the reason I thought Steve Sampson could actually bring great things to US Soccer... :rolleyes:

11. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    There was no second match. The game was on a Tuesday and the Mexico-Jamaica match was Thursday. I remember seeing some PO'd Mexicans too but I think they were just there to watch the game.

I also remember walking by some of Sam's Army and everybody, including me, was saying " Bring on Mexico NOW!!"

12. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Stayed up late on the East Coast watching on Spanish language (Telemundo?) and nearly leaped through my roof when Preki scored. Beautiful bending goal, just inside the left post (facing).

We got the win then, but it was totally against the run of play. We've actually had several better performances v Brazil since then.

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Do we have any video of the Preki goal?

14. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    I wonder if Keller's 9.51 rating is the highest any US player has gotten in a game on Sams Army's website.

15. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's the only time I have ever voted a 10.0.