Anyone know how many goals McBride has?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Since he's been at Fulham? All competitions included?

I am thinking 4 or 5 last year, and 2 this year....so either 6 or 7...

Also, anyone know the total time he's been on the pitch?

Just saw last half of Chelsea reem Fulham....not pretty (in final 1/3)....at least Frankie Hedjuk has company.... :)

Brian did not look too good in his short stint against Chelsea, but I am reckon(ing) that his goals/per minutes at Fulham are actually OK...

2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    jri, you do a lot of good stuff on the boards, but why the hell do you care at this hour? :)

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Classic jri.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he did not look good.

BTW are you comparing Frankie to Volz or whoever Fulham's RB is?

5. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just a theory, but I'm thinking Robben makes alot of good defenders look like crap. ;)

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Oh yes M...it makes MUCH more sense to keep records by goals/appearances.....like ironically many English sites do......having a 5 minute appearance 'count the same' as a 90 minute one....the most illogical thing I've ever heard...

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    For the record, I'm curious because the general impression I think (mine too) has been that Brian's time w/Fulham has been underwhelming....yet, if you look at the goals per minutes (at least in that category) he's probably not doing so poorly (and close, maybe, to what Collins John has done over the past year)

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The most illogical thing I've heard of is trying to claim goals/minute based on short substitute appearances is a meaningful measure. It simply can't be compared one way or the other against playing full games week in, week out.

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    LOL

10. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Shh....any number which makes a Yank look good will be discounted.

If McBride was starting and John or Radz were coming off the bench the story would be flopped. Keep it up M! Don't let any arguments keep you down!

11. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    On this one M, despite his well known bias, may be right. Its certainly not fair to compare goals/ minutes any more than it is to compare a player on goals/ appearances. Not all apearances are equal, but then not all miutes are equal also. Additionally, comparing players purely on goals is illogical because no one player creates a goal. About the most useful statistic that I can think of would be goals per shots taken. Or perhaps shots on target/ shots taken. Even this would be an imperfect measure because you don't create you shot oppetunities and not all oppertunities are equal. Still it might give some concept of a strikers ability to turn chances (created in part by his teamates) into goals (his part of the job).

All in all I doubt that statustics are extremly helpful in evaluating players- at least not something this rough.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    What argument would that be? I haven't seen one yet. Anyway, what is it about my statement that "It simply can't be compared one way or the other against playing full games week in, week out." that you didn't understand?

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    The ol' straw man argument, the safe harbor for the weak of mind. M is correct this time, son.

14. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how many is it anyway....or does it even matter anymore?

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Is your opinion dude........I do love how soccer/football fans sometimes run from clear production stats. They are only a part of the puzzle, but deserve to be a part....

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    If you're going to use stats, at least they should have some empirical basis - which stats such as this simply don't have. Not that jri's of this world would notice that.

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    OK M,

- so player (A) is a substitute for 700 minutes on the pitch and scores 15 goals

- player (B) is a substitute for 700 minutes on the pitch and scores 0 goals

And you are telling me one can't learn anything from that? LOL

(and yet you let 'pass' the fact that many English websites posts 'appearances' and not 'minutes played' when listing players stats.....so an appearance of 3 minutes looks just like one of 70 minutes...however, you apparently don't have a problem with THAT)..

LOL

18. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Dude.....................Stats are empirical.

They're just a tally of some damn numbers born out of observation or experiment

19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad - that's what I get for posting at 11:30 at night. So Frankie is better than we give him credit for? :)

20. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    No he still sucks, but at least when in regards to marking Robben he has alot of company. :)

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Oops, you're right. I should have said there is no statistical basis for the comparison - except to the jri's of this world, of course.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Unlike you, I'm not fixated in making dubious 'claims' based on stats, so it's not an issue that keeps me awake at night. And, of course, the example you give is completely irrelevant to the argument that I was making: that there's no statistical foundation for using goals per minute when comparing the performance of someone whose appearances have been limited to being a late-game substitute with the performances of players who've played complete games.

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    In other words, you are avoiding the argument. How M of you...

24. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are all the stats I could find in 15 minutes of looking. Use them as you will. (By the way, it is absolutely devilish to try to find player stats for FA Cup and Carling Cup. I have no idea how many minutes he played in those games.)

Brian McBride
    Fulham FC

2004-2005 Statistics

Premiership
    10 games played (3 starts)
    2 shots
    1 shot on goal
    0 goals
    1 assist
    355 minutes played (35.5 per game)

Carling Cup
    3 games played (1 start)
    2 goals

2003-2004 statistics
    Premiership
    16 games played (5 starts)
    14 shots on goal
    4 goals
    1 assist
    719 minutes played (44.9 per game)
    179.75 minutes per goal

FA Cup
    3 games played (3 starts)
    1 goal

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    No, unlike you, I'm not willing to make statistically dubious claims. That's not avoiding the argument.