Anyone know a good airport transfer from JNB to Sandton area?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by gameson, May 29, 2010.

1. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Very nice area - lots of shops/clubs/restaurants

2. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you, Gronum. I think for the first time, I may want to take taxi from Sandton Gautrain station to Bryanston, so I know the location before starting taking bus. How far is it to Bryanston with taxi? I look at the map and it's not too far.

Reading it from someone here, taking taxi is 550 Rand from JNB to Sandton, since I am a party of two, taking train to Sandton station is already 200 Rand. I wonder if it would cost 300 Rand taxi from Sandton station to Bryanston?

3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    anybody on the ground know if the taxi stand is up and running at the Sandton Gautrain station or if there's a place nearby with a taxi stand?

or

should we just hike it from the station to Grayston/Weber Rd. area? what is that 30 minute walk?

4. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    what is the taxi rate in Johannesburg? I mean when you first come in, etc. Thanks.

5. guanaco20

guanaco20 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    North Bergen
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thanks to the individuals posting about the Gautrain. I'm staying in Houghton Estate and am trying to figure out how I'll be able to get around town in Jo'burg. I found out about Melrose Arch and was planning on making that location my center to get around town. So I can potentially take the Gautrain to Sandton Station and then take the S6 Sandton - Rosebank bus to Melrose Arch. Then from there, either take a cab to Houghton Estate or walk the 2.5 km. Is it safe to walk around town from Melrose Arch to Houghton Estate?

If not, the guest house I am staying at quoted me with R370 for airport transportation upon my arrival. Is that a reasonable quote?

Does anyone know much about Melrose Arch location? I am not sure if the guest house I am staying at has easy accessibility to downtown Jo'burg and Ellis Park or Soccer City Stadium. Is there a central train station or bus station at Houghton Estate similar to Sandton? That is why I was thinking of going there and using the Fan Ride services to get to the stadiums and downtown Jo'burg.

6. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If it is the they are ripping you off. Bryanston is next to Sandton - ask the price beforehand - tell him you know it is close by so it should be less than R150 - If they say it is more go to the next taxi. Minibus taxi will be less than R50.

7. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There should be taxis but there are free shuttle buses from the gautrain station - ask around as you are going to Grayston there might be one going on that route.

8. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

R370 is the going rate but Gautrain + shuttle = R100 - cheaper. Even a taxi from the last shuttle stop to your Houghton accommodation should be way less than the R270 difference. Wlking in the day should be ok but price a taxi anyway. Houghton is a very smart old neighbourhood, Melrose arch is very upmarket and happening. Not many transport options from there - you would have to return to Sandton every time to catch shuttles to the games or to Wits for Park & rides. No train lines (yet).

When you arrive take the Gautrain to Sandton and familiarise yourself with the shuttle bus routes.

9. hammeruk

hammeruk Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Help me please... I will need to travel from JNB airport/Sandton Gautrain Station to my hotel in Maree Street, Bramley Park. What are the options open to me along with anticipated cost? We are a party of 2. I haven't got a clue how best to do it!

10. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

To the Formula 1 hotel? No shuttle service but I am trying to get a quote from a normal taxi - not more than 10km away so should really not be too much - will let you know as soon as they reply.

11. hammeruk

hammeruk Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Yep... the Formula 1 hotel! Won't it be walkable from Innesfree shuttle stop also perhaps? Look forward to the taxi quote! Thx for your help Gronum.

12. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hammeruk, I am staying at the same hotel, 15-21st, sent you a pm. I have asked Gronum and other SA's on this board about it. The general consensus is that the hotel is in a good location (in terms of proximity to stuff we want) but not in the best area. Wynberg is an industrial area, so the question of it it is walkable is depending on how we feel about the security. Also, Wynberg separates Sandton from Alexandra (where we def. don't want to be walking). Now, the fan fest is being held at Innesfree park but the Park and Walk locations to get there are in Rautenbach Square and somewhere north of that in Marlboro. The closest walking route for us is Rautenbach square which is actually farther from Innesfree Park then our hotel. This walking route is only 400-500m from our hotel, so I think during the day it is walkable esp. in a large group. At night, well, we'll see how secure the area is.

To get there, take the Gautrain from JNB to Sandton stop, which is located right next to Sandton Square. There will be plenty of cabs there. Or you can take a shuttle from there to Innesfree and then cab from there to the hotel. If you are there during the day, I would say walkable, if at night, I say cab.

13. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh and google maps added street view for the area, the Formule 1 hotel is at the tip of Maree Street. Ah I love technology haha.

14. hammeruk

hammeruk Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Ta v.much!!! PM'd you.

15. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I will be staying @ this hotel from 15 to 17. See you there!!

16. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Who's the expert now!!;)

17. PHX85339

PHX85339 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sounds like the Hotel Formula 1 Sandton North is a popular booking. We will be there 17JUN-19JUN.

18. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, either we are gonna be able to walk it wth a massive group or pool tgether for a really cheap cab

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    gautrain was perfect. took it to Sandton and then went upstairs to catch a bus to our hotel. had to walk a block to our hotel but experienced nothing but smiles at 11am.

20. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yay - one up on me - have yet to take the train...

21. MyB5

MyB5 Member

May 21, 2006
    Scandinavia
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Private shuttle service.
    Vehicle’s currently in use, Mercedes Benz C Class and Volkswagen Golf tdi. Price ok. Check this out:

http://www.mrshuttle.co.za/

22. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    great find! they're cheap too. im using them. :cool:

23. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Taxi quote - zimemam@thebig5cabsa.co.za
    Dear Nadine,

It should not be more than R100.00 in that the area you are refering to is with the ten (10) kilometres radius.

Thank and should you require any further information kindly do not hesitate to call me on my cell phone (082) 415 6139.

Monde Zimema

:eek:A bit much but hey I suppose everyone wants their cut.

24. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, I want to tell my experience as I am the one who started this post.

I ended up taking Gautrain for R100 each, so it's R200 for 2 of us, then after that, at Mandela Square, we took a taxi for R150 to River Club in Bryanston, so in total, I spent about R350 to reach our B&B. Better than a rate quoted by some tour agency, R350 for each person, damn!!

I do find other taxi service that I have not use yet because they need a minimum 24 hours service. But I get a decent reply from this person. The quote is R475 for a Benz or BMW pickup from JNB to anywhere in Sandton, which is perfect for us since we are 2 people, so you are getting pickup with style!

www.magicmarketing.co.za

I hope this helps. :)

25. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Hi Gronum, did you have a look?

If not, has anybody else used an ORT -> Pretoria shuttle of any kind?

Cheers.