Anyone know a good airport transfer from JNB to Sandton area?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by gameson, May 29, 2010.

1. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are a party of two. Can anyone local to Johannesburg tell me a good airport transfer company that can transfer two of us from JNB to Sandton area?

Or should we take a cab instead? If so, what would be the average cost for cab?

If anyone want to share a cab, please let me know. We arrive on 8 June around 11 AM. I will let you know my phone number if you are arriving and going to same area.

Thanks.

2. James82

James82 New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gautrain, it opens on 8 June, so you can be one of the Guinea-pigs.

3. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How does it work? does it connect to JNB airport right away? What's the fee?

4. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Gautrain will get you to Sandton direct in 15 minutes.The cost is R80 I think

5. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice. Do you have the map? I need to know where the train stops and where my B&B is.

Thanks.

6. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    http://www.gautrain.co.za
    No train stops-its just Airport to Sandton
    They have done extremely well to even get it to this point

7. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Correction

The system will open with two train services:

• The “Airport Service” will link Sandton to the O.R. Tambo International Airport. Airport passengers can board at any station and will pay R100 for a single train trip to the airport. All airport trains go via Sandton station.
    • The “Commuter Service” links all the stations with the exception of the airport. A single train trip from Sandton to Marlboro will cost R16.50, from Sandton to Rhodesfield R21.00; and from Marlboro to Rhodesfield R18.50.

8. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The station at the airport is between the international and domestic terminals.

As you are arriving only a day after it opens your other option (in case the train does not work!!) is to either take a cab (they hang around outside the terminal) or got to AVis car rental and ask for a point to point transfer.

9. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    If you get on the train from the airport to Sandton, what is it like when you get off at Sandton? Is it easy to get a taxi to your B&B from the station?

I'm thinking it would be cheaper to get the train to Sandton and then get a taxi from there rather than just getting one at the airport, but I don't know if this is more hassle than it's worth. I understand this is perhaps a difficult question to answer if the train hasn't actually started running yet!

11. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Trains should be faster than taxi - Train = R100. Where are you staying in Sandton?

12. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I'm not actually staying in Sandton, I'm staying in Muldersdrift on the edge of Johannesburg. I was wondering if it would be worth my while travelling to Sandton to get a taxi from there instead of just getting one from the airport. Maybe it isn't worth my while - it will probably cost a fortune whatever method I choose due to the distance.

13. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Get quotes but I think train/taxi will be cheaper. Airport=tourist and you might just be charged more. Besides - you would get away from the airport and relax at Sandton square while you wait for a taxi. Want me to get quotes for you? Shuttle from airport to Muldersdrift is about R487

14. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any advice on reputable taxi companies in Johannesburg? I will be staying at 2 Leafed Doors (http://www.2leafeddoors.co.za/), and would like to map out how I am getting there from JNB in advance of arriving there. I also would like to be able to store the numbers of some reputable taxi companies in my phone to call them when heading to train stations, malls, etc.

15. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How much would it be for a cab to get from JNB to Sandton area? Since I am a party of two, so trains would cost R200 for us + the taxi from Sandton to my B&B. Is cab going to be more than double of R200?

16. SoccerFan36

SoccerFan36 Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How about from Tambo to Cresta Shopping Centre?

17. larvel

larvel New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI I just received this information from my Johannesburg contact regarding the Gautrain:

Gautrain today released ticket fare prices for those services that will be operational from 08 June 2010. These services include a train service linking stations at Sandton, Marlboro, Rhodesfield and the O.R. Tambo International Airport as well as bus routes from Sandton and Rhodesfield stations.

Initial fare estimates were made in 2002 by the Gauteng Provincial Government and incorporated into the Gautrain Concession Agreement signed in 2006. These fares have now been adjusted to account for inflation and also to ensure that the original fare policy is maintained. This fare policy is aimed at making the Gautrain attractive and affordable to broad sectors of the population without competing with existing modes of public transport. As a consequence, Gautrain commuter fares are typically lower than the cost of using a private vehicle for the same journey, but more expensive than those of existing minibus taxis, Metrobus and Metrorail fares.

Various travel options are available to commuters using trains, buses and parking or a combination of these features. Commuters who combine a bus trip or parking usage with a train journey will enjoy reduced rates on the bus and parking components. Special weekly and monthly packages are also available for regular users.

The system will open with two train services:

· The “Airport Service” will link Sandton to the O.R. Tambo International Airport . Airport passengers can board at any station and will pay R100 for a single train trip to the airport. All airport trains go via Sandton station.

· The “Commuter Service” links all the stations with the exception of the airport. A single train trip from Sandton to Marlboro will cost R16.50, from Sandton to Rhodesfield R21.00; and from Marlboro to Rhodesfield R18.50.

Integrated single train plus single bus trips will cost R22.50 from Sandton to Marlboro, R27.00 from Sandton to Rhodesfield; and R24.50 from Marlboro to Rhodesfield.

Parking at any station will cost R9.50 for the first 24hrs or part thereof as long as you also use the train. If you park and do not use the train, the parking fee is substantially increased.

Commuters will access all services by means of a contactless smart card – the Gautrain Gold Card. Cash will not be accepted for passage on the buses or trains or at the parking exit gates. The Gautrain Gold Card allows seamless transfer between Gautrain’s train, bus and parking services. Gautrain Gold Cards will be available at a once-off cost of R10 from ticket offices and ticket vending machines at all stations as well as at selected retailers. Value can then be loaded onto the cards on an as-required basis and the cards can be re-used over and over again to pay for Gautrain services. Passengers also have the opportunity of registering their Gautrain Gold Cards at a ticket office which will enable the blacklisting of a card should it be lost or stolen. Un-used value on the card can then be transferred to a new card.

The train and bus services will operate from Monday to Sunday between 05:30 to 20:30. Trains and buses will be available every 12 minutes during peak times (05:30 to 08:30 and 16:00 to 19:00), and every 20 minutes during off-peak times. On weekends the train service will be available every 30 minutes.

18. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gameson - your PM inbox is full; delete some messages please!

19. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice place - well done! Ask them how much it will cost to get you at the Sandton Station then you can take the gautrain - should work out cheaper as they are reasonably close.

Guys - if they are on the web they should be reputable - google "or tambo taxi" for services and for quotes. We all have cars so do not have a clue what taxis charge!!!

20. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    UUaww - no gautrain for you as the last train leaves at 20h30 so you will have to take a shuttle/taxi to your hotel

21. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlucky, how much should this taxi run? Or should I go to avis for a point to point transfer?

hmm, my flight arrives at 7:10 pm, could I potentially clear customs in that time and make it?

22. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Not sure about taxi cost - P2P should be about R300-ish.

Umm - hour and 20 minutes? You might just make it - not far to walk from arrivals to station. Go for it.

23. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    solid, I am not checking any bags in so that should help a ton. Just gonna have to miss my airport Nandos I was going for. haha.

24. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mr delivery - (+27) (0)861 85 85 85 - phone them once you are in the train and the nandos should be waiting for you at the hotel.....:rolleyes:

25. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha awesome! Gronum, you are a champion.