Alert: Anyone in Dayton Area watching ONN on TW

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ferrigamo, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    The reason the picture looks like complete crap is because they are back converting from HD by what looks like just taking the center of the picture. It looks horrible, but there may be a solution.

Call Time Warner and tell them you want ONN in HD as the HD channel is what we need. Then, when you have made the call, call back and tell them again. Repeat until success is achieved!

I have to say that I am happy to at least SEE the game, but man, that screen looks horrible for the games!

Go Crew!!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wish! Seems to me it's just like it was last year. If they were downconverting from 720 the picture should be better than that even with aliasing/artifacting. You could tell on the basic channels when they started converting from HD, the video actually got a little sharper.

What puzzled me was the hilites shown on FSC last night were the fuzzy ONN quality. Let's face it.. there's no SAT's involved, so I wonder if TW SW can even get to the signal/datastream.

I wish TW would listen to calls.. gets harder and harder to get through to anyone who'll listen.

3. GloryhuntingMuppet

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    TW is going through a re-org. It will be at least a year before they pull their heads out.

4. bmwdmb1

bmwdmb1 New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to be the same quality in Cleveland area...can barely read the numbers of players on the field, just awful.

5. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    I assumed it was backconverted because the image is blown up so big that you can't even see the score box on the top. Perhaps they have screwed up something else to cause the image to look so poor. It used to be better, I thought, on ONN and only got worse around the beginning of this season or so.

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least TW in Ohio has their channels organized. Here in Nebraska, it's an absolutely cluster**** trying to figure out where anything is. 1-98 are SD, 100-178 are HD, 190-245 are SD, 246-248 are HD, 250-270 are SD.

It's a nightmare trying to find something to watch.

7. naas

naas Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Centerville/Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made the call to TW but I'm not crossing my fingers anytime soon. But I stand watching the games on ONN. I'm constantly rupping my eyes to see if my contact lenses are ok. I'm almost tempted to not watch the games on ONN but I guess blur-vision is better than not having it at all.

8. bmwdmb1

bmwdmb1 New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have direct kick you can always watch the other teams feed...and it is always better than ours haha. The only problem is you have to listen to the oppositions commentary :(

9. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen to the radio call while posting here. www.610wtvn.com or iheartradio app on your iPhone

10. bmwdmb1

bmwdmb1 New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahhh not a bad idea!...turn the tv down and listen to the radio. Used to do that with Indians games actually way back when.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not true... at least as of a couple weeks ago, only Central and SW lineups are reorganized to 'add 1000 to the SD channel for HD*'. You guys in NE can tell us when they revamp there

*Kinda cool... if you go from dayton/cincy area to Central Ohio, all national cable channels are the same... IF they are carried.
    That meant all I had to do to see if TW finally turned on FSC-HD in SW OH was turn on guide and punch in 1318. One magic morning, there it was!

Of course that meant Dayton went through TWO channel re-orgs in a couple years.. first to be the same in entire dayton area and correlate to Cincy, then to remap to a logical pattern.

12. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have twc and directv. Onn is complete crap. Always has been. It doesn't matter where you're located. I've got directkick on directv and watch the hd feed from the opposing team. I miss Dwight and Dante but I have less of a headache afterwards from all the squinting. The only thing we can do is petition the crew to get on fsn Ohio or for onn to go hd. Twc just passes it along. They can't offer what ain't available. Of course the crew could also get timewarner to add the hd game on twc sw Ohio. That would have to go through the crew as the time warner people wouldn't know what the hell you were talking about.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is probably the best bet. Certainly, every provider has enough "overflow" channels to air the game in HD, or even in regular SD on an overflow SD channel.

For example, in Central Ohio, TW could use channel 24 for a true SD feed and 1310/1311 or whatever they use in HD. AT&T could use anything in the 690's for a true SD feed or 1690's for an HD feed.

An alternate "Crew game" channel would be the best bet.

14. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    Thanks for the input. Who should I try to talk to in the front office about getting this sorted out? I have a season ticket manager, but he is the only guy I talk to that is related to the organization.

15. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew Front Office prolly won't be able to do much, its a distribution issue. Talk to ONN about their SD distribution methods to see what they are doing.

I'm guessing that the HD feed in the Columbus Area's path is fiber from the stadium back to the WNBS/ONN studio, then fiber to Time Warners cable headend.

To get it out to the other Time Warner headends and other MSOs/DBS providers would require a satellite uplink and those are not cheap...

Alternatively, keep an eye out when ESPN or FSC does a game at Crew Stadium, they should bring in a satellite uplink truck to get their feed out.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's the key. Unless there's available cheap fiber capacity between Cols and Dayton, Satellite is req'd.
    Bet there is ample BW between Cols and Cleveland but who knows for Day-Cols.
    Not like it's on-line for everyone to see.... For good reason.