Anyone have an upconverter dvd player?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by otterulz, Aug 11, 2008.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've invested a lot of money into my dvd collection with some proud titles and not so proud ones (Rush Hour 2? Seriously?).

I figured I'd eventually get a Blu-Ray player once DVD-HD was out of the picture, but suddenly realized that new movies cost around $30. Then I saw something in my Circuit City insert about near-HD quality DVD players.

Does anyone have one and is it true about the picture quality? Can you actually see a difference? Of course I'm not expecting HD, but I want to at least know that there's some hope for my DVD collection.

Thanks for all help in advance.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have one ... see my "Best TV?" threadkiller post HERE.

3. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you have an XBox 360, but if you do get the HD DVD add on. It's only $29 and not only will it play HD DVD's (cheap to find) but it upconverts SD DVD's very nicely.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upconversion is the bee's knees. But remember - there's still only 480p lines of data per frame. A non-progressive-scan DVD player only draws half that data. A progressive scan player shows all of it (if your TV can display it). An upconverting scales the image to an HDTV resolution internally - which usually looks better than upscaling in your TV's hardware. But it's still the same amount of raw data as 480p native. It won't look as good as Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD).

But it will look good.

I upscale all of my movies to 1080i (my tv's native resolution), and they look awesome. My previous setup was an SDTV with a special "anamorphic 480p mode" (a Sony Wega) and a progressive scan DVD player, and that looked pretty darn good.

My next step is Blu-Ray, once costs come down. I gambled on HD-DVD, and lost. At 30 bucks (!!) the drive is a great deal, despite the fact that new media aren't coming out. I should buy a second drive as a 'backup' so I can keep watching my existing HD-DVDs if my first drive dies.