Anyone figure out why no MLS in CM4 03/04?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rangers1, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Rangers1

Rangers1 New Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Has anyone been able to figure out what the problems leading to the end of MLS in CM?

Maybe MLS sold a license to EA Sports TCM 2004 game to be sold only in the UK? I just don't get it, MLS should be happy people all over the world play the game and actually know who its players are...for me leaving out MLS ruins the game. I read on the SI website they won't even allow people to talk about the situation on the message boards. Also, they said the MLS players would simply be missing from the game (ala a small country like Cuba, all with made up players)...that makes the US National Team unplayable as well.

I won't be purchasing it, which really is too bad. The silly thing is, SI had finally started to tweak MLS, and hopefully the next version would actually be playable. All for naught...

Can someone please explain the situation?????

Thanks.

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usnt will be in the game. mls and a-league will not be in the game. as well as the us players in those leagues, not sure about foreign players in those leagues.

so...at the start of the game available players for the us

howard, friedel, keller
    obrien, sanneh, umm gibbs i think and im sure other players in germany
    kirvoski, reyna, landon (he is owned by bayer), adu, other man u players, and a bunch of others i am missing or dont knwo about. szetzlblahblahlala...the 17yr old kid should be in it too.
    so the us will be playable. after around 5 or more seasons they should be pretty good again

3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupidest thing ever.

I was so looking forward to the game, too.

Now, I'm pained to even consider it.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont get you guys. this is one of the best games out there in any genre and due to the fact that one league and a few players (relatively), although from your fav country, will be missing you dont want the game?

i know its just my own opinion but i get most of my players from brazil and holland and i would still buy the game if both countries were removed, id be pissed but still.

mls and the players will be missing, that sucks for u guys i wont deny that, but u still have brazil, arg, germany, holland, england, portugal, italy, spain, etc as leagues and a bunch of countries for players.
    i mean hell i love managing players i know n stuff but i enjoy it the most when i find a player ive never heard of n he becomes good for me, etc.
    idk...
    i have heard tcm is really good but also really easy.

5. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I really like using the MLS in CM series... this will probably be the first CM that i won't buy for that main reason. What new features does the game have to make it better then CM4... cuz other then that i see no reason to buy it!

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp For me: If no MLS, then no CM 03/04. :mad:

-G

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cm4 is a management Simulation game. I.E. realistic result. No MLS means the US MNT will be different. And as such qualifying for the WC will be skewed. Half of the US MNT were MLS players.

But yes what someone said earlier about the MLS is that EA has the rights for FIFA 2004. And as such All EA has to do is let MLS know about a certain game w/ the initials C and M which has been using the MLS and has no official license and then SIGames is hit w/ a lawsuit

8. stattosoftware

stattosoftware New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes, but there's no MLS in TCM 2004, I don't think. Only current game with MLS right now is Sick as a Parrot.

I've talked to CM developer Marc Vaughan in earlier conversations, talking about my own game US Soccer Manager (which is now defunct but still crap). He said basically be careful where you tread especially being based in the USA, because of potential lawsuits and having to give up my game because of the licensed trademarks I'm using.

Because of what happened, though, I may add MLS to my new freeware game I'm programming, Statto Soccer Manager (which is not crap but only has the EPL), but with no logos or anything and with city names.

9. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    From what I understand it's not an MLS issue. It's an issue that all it would take is one player to moan about how his name was being used without his permission and, wham, big lawsuit.

In Cm 03/04 you'll certainly be able to add all the players you want (while "correcting" their attributes from previous CM editions, if you know what I mean) and *maybe* you'll be able to add a league. We'll see.

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What made you think this was the case?

11. Kevin in Louisiana

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    In one of the threads on the SI Games messageboard one of SI's people said that MLS were just as unhappy about this as SI were.

"THE DECISION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MLS - please read the whole thread before posting. They've been great to deal with, and (without wanting to put words into their mouths) seem as upset as we are by the game not being released."

This was posted by Miles Jacobsen, SI's managing director. Now I think that specifically this referred to SI's (well Eidos's, actually) decision not to release the game in America. But both the decision not to release the game in America and the decision to remove the MLS were done for the same legal reasons.

12. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I still think this stems from the MLS players forming a union.

13. Kevin in Louisiana

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Danks--you may very well be right.

14. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    SI games Forums

Has anyone been on the forums over on SiGames' site? I was looking around on there the other day and i saw something about the MLS in the 03/04 game. I cant find the link right now, but it someone asked if the MLS and american players could be in the game with slightly misspelled names. If that were the case, wouldnt it be very easy to just adjust the names of the players in that way? I remeber in many of the old basketball video games out there, you wouldnt have Jordan on the bulls, but you would have a "No. 23" that you could change to be Mike. If done that way, there would be no way to bring a lawsuit against SI games, would there?

15. Kevin in Louisiana

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    SI Games nixed that idea. It'd certainly be doable though. Change the club names so that they only reflect the name of the city (i.e. from San Jose Earthquakes to San Jose) and put in players as numbers and yeah, you could do it legally. I think they were still afraid that if they put in the players slightly changed they might still be sued (I think this is ridiculous as I don't know of anyone being sued in the US for having games with numbers instead of names in them). But they also could have created fake American players (not grey ones but real, fully usable players) with no correlation to the real players so that they at least could have made the USMNT a good team.

16. stattosoftware

stattosoftware New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    I may do that for Statto Soccer Manager v1.1.

If you were able to change or add leagues in CM, which I'm not sure you are, in any case the MLS would be European-style without any playoffs or divisions or anything like that.