Anyone else sick of Quakes fans yet?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Onionsack, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. Good grief at actually felt bad for these guys the last few months and the first couple days after the anouncement, but now they are being just plain annoying.

From the Garber must dies posts, to the AEG hates us posts, to the lets report MLS to FIFA posts and to the I hope MLS folds posts...these guys are are acting like a bunch of crybabies.

The worst thing is that these screwballs are giving the good san jose fans a bad name. Instead of trying to support the effort to get the team back via expansion, and puttin gtheir energy there, many rotten apples are boycotting MLS, and swearing to never spend a dime on the league again.

These little babies act like there was some massive consperiancy to screw them over. They act like Garber is the dark lord himself, never mind he has taken time to personally respond to heartbroken fans emails. They think AEG did nothing but sell them down the river, nevermind the fact they bought the team to keep them from folding in 01-02. Nevermind they have lost their ass keeping the team in San Jose.

Yes, it suck and we are all sad for you, but this little ********ing pity parade is getting old.
    Anyway, i can't be the only one sick of these people.

2. bkfiv

bkfiv Member

Apr 21, 2004
    NW Indiana
    Don't read their posts, then. It would suck if I lost my team, too.

3. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been three days dude. (Maybe 4 since we really knew on Thursday).

Do yourself a favor & just stay out of the SJE forums for awhile. Can't be that tough can it?

Oh, and AEG didn't "lose their ass" in San Jose, not by a long shot. They SPENT $20 million, they didn't LOSE $20 million. Big difference.

Lee

4. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could just not read the threads dealing with it...

5. QuAkEFaN T'lThe End

QuAkEFaN T'lThe End New Member

Dec 19, 2005

what if your ass got your teal takin away

6. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to sure what you mean there. :confused:

7. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    I would guess he would still support the league, and not try to bring it down by taddling to FIFA.

Going out on a limb, of course.

8. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd be pissed too.

But I'd be on a plane to NY with a hundred others to torch league headquarters instead of WHINING ON THE INTERNET.

9. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actuallt this year before the announcement came that Harrison was a done deal and (around the time it looked like San Antonio was a go) I openly said that Metro should move to San Antonio.

Why? Because the league is more important to me than my team. Metro was and is sucking money out of MLS coffers like a crack whore sucks dick for nutrition. No stadium, lossing mass money, and no fan support = get out of town.

10. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I know *I* didn't get into games for free, so them "getting zero" isn't accurate.

Bottom line is that AEG didn't lose $20 million bucks.

Lee

11. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What is your other name on BS?

12. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    I felt the same way. i want the league to succeed first because I want the sport to suceed. I figured the only way Harrison was getting built was if AEG paid for it all. We were lucky.

SJ has many of the same problems we had. Politicians not willing to move, money not really available from the public, location, etc.
    They just didn't have th white knight and it sucks.

I feel terrible for SJ fans. The passion they have shown is something we need in this country, but at the same time as a businessman I get the SJ move.

Vent all you want.
    I just hope the MLB PR play works for you. Don't see it happening any other way in that part of Cali, the way things are to be honest.

Best of luck. Terrible circumstances.

I actually despise Spartan Shops and all of those billionaires who live out there more than anyone.

13. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    no. We don't know how much they really "lost." Why? Because they had revenues coming in, from ads, some tickets, and whatever else. The $20 mil. figure was spun by MLS and AEG to make the situation look much worse than it actually was. So in reality, they could have invested $20 mil. over 3 years, but received something like $14 mil from revenues.

But saying $20 mil to the media looks a lot worse than $ 6 mil (which again is a hypothetical figure).

14. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats not exactly the situation in San Jose, but whatever. The big problem I have is that the situation in Houston offers NO guarantees that the situation will be any better, and you can argue that at least San Jose has some track record. I don't believe Houston has ever supported big time soccer.
    It would be a completely different scenario if Houston had a stadium (they don't), and a new owner (they don't). Its like trading five one dollar bills for a five.

Lee

15. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    shut down all the SJ forums (since there is no team) and then give them something to cry about

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not split hairs over how much AEG did or didn't lose or anything like that. A group of fans just lost their team. They're hurt and having a tough time with it. If its annoying, don't read it.

17. kjo199

kjo199 Member

Mar 29, 2005
    NYC
    good call. i was thinking the same thing.

18. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly believe that people should cut the Quakes fans some slack!!!

I agree that the conspiracy theorists should give it a rest!!! but since I am someone who has gone through the agony of losing a very beloved team
    the forever 500's Hartford Whalers. I can say from experience that it hurts and does take a while for the pain to subside.

In my opinion the Quakes are at least going to a soccer familiar town and that is something!! (I understand very small something!!) and hopefully some one will pick up the banner for the future Quakes.
    Quake fans, you have until the week after the first houston home game to bitch and moan. Make it count!!!

19. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    As a Quakes fan I'm through the bitchin' and moanin' phase, personally - it takes a while to get through the denial.

Still don't know if I'll be able to actually watch an MLS match this year, I do find myself still trollin' the MLS Web site :-(.

20. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Heard too much about

I've heard too much about people in the ghetto...

21. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

that's the ubsurdity of the MLS. Could you ever imagine Manchester City moving to London? Liverpool moving to Birgmingham? Barcelona moving to Sevilla?

Part of the problem is there's no local connection in soccer in the states. Supporting Liverpool or Roma or whatever is a personal thing. And there is a strong local feel to being affiliated with that club. It's tribal. The same way college sports are here. Where you're a Notre Dame fan cause your dad went there. Or you support Alabama because you're parents did. Could you imagine someone saying. Uh lets move Alabama University. It's that rare for teams in the rest of the world to just up an move.

Here unfortunately it's just a money making proposition. It's a Franchise it's hardly a club. When the fans think it's a club only to find out its not i understand why they are mad. They were duped.

22. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you would never see this happen or imagine it because these clubs arn't losing precious money, but making tons of it and have there own stadiums. Gaining Money + Stadium + Fan Support = Staying in town

Which is exactly why they are moving out of SJ. To try and find it elsewhere.

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    'Course... there are soccer-mad countries in which soccer clubs move: Mexico.

'Course... there are a ton of examples of well-loved pro teams in the US and Canada that move to greener ($$) pastures.

24. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    To answer your stupid question, the answer is no. I guess anybody can start a thread with what ever comes to their mind. I hope no MLS fans ever again go through what WE Quake fans are feeling. Even you.
    Missing my Quakes in San Jose.

25. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Yes... that's the nature of professional sports in the United States.

Correct. It's a franchise in a professional sports league, as opposed to a "club" started and financed by members.

Any fans of professional sports in the United States who actually thought that the San Jose Earthquakes were anything but a privately held, business-driven franchise weren't duped. Rather, said fans were either ignorant or self-delusional.

Is it painful when a pro sports team relocates, leaving anguished fans behind? Absolutely. Unfortunately, given that pro sports in this country are a business, relocations are going to happen. Fans don't have to be happy about it, but they shouldn't be shocked by the possibility that it could happen.