Anyone attending the Aug31 away match?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by msknutson, Aug 5, 2002.

1. msknutson

msknutson Member

United States
    Sep 15, 2000
    San Diego, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in DC? I'll be in Bethesda, MD for the entire week for a training class, and was wondering about showing up for the Quakes vs. DCU on Saturday night. Any Quakes fans attending? I know very little about the DC area. Where is RFK stadium? Can I get there via metro? Is there a good or bad place to be inside? Are visiting fans sequestered in a corner? Any good football (oops, soccer) hangouts for pre or post game?

I would like to be amongst kindred spirits (Quakes fans) ...

thanks! michael

2. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Michael,

My wife and I are seriously considering driving up from Raleigh. There are couple of issues to sort out, but I would say at the moment we're 75% likely to be there...

-Richard

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to the game, but I have been to RFK in the last couple of years. The stadium is on the Metro -- the Stadium/Armory stop on the blue or orange lines. Bethesda has a stop on the red line. See http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm for a map. Getting around by Metro is pretty straightforward, the farecard is just like BART.

On the inside, I don't think there are any bad seats, it's a good stadium to see a game (just much much larger than Spartan). I doubt there will be a separate section for away fans.

For pre- and post-game, you can try the Screaming Eagles tailgate, or try one of many bars and such throughout the city. I don't think there's anything in the immediate stadium area, it's not a very nice part of town. The DC fans will probably be pretty helpful if you ask them for recommendations.

4. DevilsHuntSong

DevilsHuntSong New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Va
    Well you all may think this weird but for me D.C. is the home team... ( I just like L.Donovan and the quakes as well) You can sit pretty much wherever u want. The stadium seating is pretty much a big u. Behind one goal is the opening of the u. The first section behind the other goal is diehard D.C. fans. No one says you can't sit there but I just wouldn't. There is also a big section of seats were it says screaming eagles on the side panneling. Agian, die-hard United fans. I suggest anywhere along the opposite side from the screaming eagles. RFK is a huge stadium and it is never full (if you didn't kniw it was designed for football) so you shouldn't have trouble finding a seat. Hope you enjoy the game should be a thriller...

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I won't.

But I will be at the Quakes/Rapids game in Denver.

6. DevilsHuntSong

Aug 5, 2002
    Va
    Oh yeah and ever since Landon hit the map the Quakes are popular except for Jeff Agoos. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing his jersey around there. They boo him everytime he walks on the feild. For a good pregame party get to RFK early and hang out in the parking lot. People start getting there like 3 hours early. Look around for people in Quakes gear and ask them were a good post game place is. Hope I am being helpful here...

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be misinterpreting things here. Every DC United fan I have talked to loves Goose. He was a key part of 3 championship teams there. They yell "GOOOOOOOSE" when he walks on the field.

8. DevilsHuntSong

Aug 5, 2002
    Va
    All the peolpe I talked to don't like him 'cause he used to play for us. I personally don't care what team he plays on as long as I get to watch good quaility soccer. But I think he is getting I bit on the rusty side. he made a few noticable errors in the cup that he used to never make.

9. msknutson

msknutson Member

United States
    Sep 15, 2000
    San Diego, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info, all!

sounds like just hang around and look for tailgaters ... and stay out of the fanatics section. Go Quakes! Let's win one on the road!

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with Noah, Agoos is one person that most DC United and Quakes fans agree on. He is a major player, he came on big time with the leadership that turned this team around. I will always have the greatest respect for him. I just got through watching the first half of yesterday's game and I still think he's doing a hell of a job, the decryers notwithstanding. So he made the own goal in the game against Portugal, so what? The ragging that he got from Ty and Jack was so intense that I'd like to punch those two out, but I'll have to behave because Vero will be with them the next time they come to Spartan (I think I'll still throw those cabbages). I think Agoos's still got some good playing days in him; I don't believe it's time for him to retire.