Anybody got the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bianca_dee, Jun 28, 2010.

1. bianca_dee

bianca_dee New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How is it?

How about the reception issue? I'm planning to get one soon. Will there be any possible fix with that reception issue other than buying that "bumper" case?

I just can't stand my iPhone 3G. It feels so old now. lol.

2. jujun22

jujun22 New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Don't get it yet. I'm sure they're going to have to roll out a new one in the next few months due to the reception issue. I'd wait atleast a couple months until the bugs are worked out or you're just going to be disappointed.

3. bianca_dee

bianca_dee New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, as far as to what I have heard, a patch will be coming out next week to fix this issue. It's just a rumor though but hope it will fix it.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have it, as do my wife, sister, two cousins and a co-worker. None of us have the reception problems, mine had a battery problem but I did a hard reset and the battery has been much much better since then.

Overall, I love it. The retina display looks amazing. I've owned every iteration of the iPhone and this is definitely the best one. I was wavering between this and the HTC EVO, but am glad that I made the choice for the iPhone. There's no 4G service where I live so why should I pay $10 a month more for something I won't use.

5. ryan14

ryan14 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    i think i'll wait until the reception issue is sorted out first.

6. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** that, anybody got a blackberry from Verizon? You talk about a phone sucking ass....

7. bianca_dee

bianca_dee New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's really confusing since a lot of people have been complaining about it and yet some people I know have not experienced this issue. That includes you. Would that be a design flaw in some of the units that were manufactured?

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There's nothing weak about the article, in fact, you linked to macrumors discussing the same article. But thanks for helping.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could very well be a design flaw in a big batch that were produced. I've tried replicating the issue on mine and my wires phone but can't. My uncle just bought one for him and his daughter, I'll ask him about any issues he has in a couple days...just to give it time.

12. bianca_dee

bianca_dee New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just hope that when I get mine it wouldn't have this issue.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Read the review I posted. It suggests it is a design flaw and that the phone still performs well in terms of reception.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    They're coming out with a software update that will fix the problem. Supposedly the problem is also apparent in older models so the update will cover the 3G and 3GS as well.

I ordered the 4 a few days ago so I should be getting it soon. I'll post my opinions later on.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  16. bianca_dee

bianca_dee New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's probably just an overblown hype. People are just probably exaggerating the issue. I'm getting mine soon. Good to know Apple responded to this issue too.

17. bianca_dee

bianca_dee New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The proximity sensor issue doesn't seem to be a really big problem I guess. Whatever that is, I hope it is not a major issue.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another view...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1723204/jobs-encases-iphone

Acting like a schoolboy reeling off lame excuses, Jobs, who proudly claimed that the Iphone 4 was the best phone ever, said that it, like all phones, fell prey to "weak spots". This was, in effect, to blame Iphone 4 reception problems on the mobile networks, including Apple's exclusive partner AT&T in the US.

Having said that I freely admit that this won't affect my purchases of Apple products one iota. I've never bought one and I'm never gonna buy one :)

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why not?

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's just their approach to business and to their customers that irritates me. Everything seems to be sacrificed to style and to being 'leading edge'. Their propensity to overhype things and for that hype to be believed beyond any and all reason is also irritating.

I remember a situation some years ago when my daughter was extolling the virtues of the MAC she'd used at work for about a fortnight, (having previously had bad experiences as everyone has of Windows), saying that it never ceased to work and didn't freeze. At the time I was forced to use a PC at work with Microsoft, (because Linux/Unix hadn't got their act together to the same extent they have now with thing like Virtualbox OSE), and so could see the attraction. Until she told me about a month later that the MAC's started to go wrong as well with freezes, failures to boot, etc. etc. They didn't have the same sorts of problems with software conflicts but that wasn't really an issue because they didn't run the same windows packages that everyone else did.

At the time they cost about double what a PC would.

I'd been running PC's with windows for years and then, around 10-12 years ago, Linux got to the point where it was usable. Not to the extent it is now, obviously, but usable for writing letters, doing spreadsheets, accessing databases and the usual stuff most people do at work. Since then I've only run Linux and, for the past few years, run windoze stuff under virtualbox OSE when I've needed to, i.e. hardly ever.

So, for me, the fact that Apple have introduced a phone that has a range of facilities including a high(ish) spec camera and will run a range of software, (that very few people will ever use), but that has one TINY flaw... it doesn't work as a phone sometimes, seems rather fitting :D

The last paragraph of the piece I linked to sums it up quite wel as far as I'm concerned...

Faced with a billion dollar bill for doing the right thing, Steve Jobs chose the cheap and easy way out, an option that belies his claim that Apple is "an engineering company"

Well, quite!

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You should find the youtube of the video where some cartoon character goes into a store and only wants an iphone - you'll get a kick out of it. I'll see if I can find it.

I tell my friends - can your phone do ___? and they always come back with "no but it can make phone calls" which is a fair comeback.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    But I disagree generally - I think Jobs offering a full refund for anyone who asks seems sufficient to me.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Here it is (lots of cussing so probably NSFW):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg"]YouTube- iPhone4 vs HTC Evo[/ame]