Anybody going to the Germany 2005

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by mrtandy, Nov 5, 2004.

1. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well i've decided that 5 nights in Hannover sounds like a decent Summer Holiday, so i've ordered tickets for Japan vs Mexico and Mexico vs Brazil (both Hannover) and Tunisia vs Germany (in Koln).
    Just waiting for comformation now.

2. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    As I live in Germany I guess I will catch some matches (especially as the tix are much cheaper than at WC2006). Btw, you should have considered staying in Cologne instead of Hanover (or as we say: hangover ;-), much more exciting city.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Indeed Köln is a much better city!!
    If you're young, the partying here is incredible.

4. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Btw, how long are you going to stay in "God''s own country" (formerly known as Germany;-)?

5. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'm thinking of staying in Cologne for the WM, so I thought i'd do a different City for the Confederations Cup.

Which Train Station is nearest the Stadium in Cologne? There seems to be an awfull lot of Stations in that City.

6. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    You'll probably arrive at Cologne central station ("Köln Hauptbahnhof"). At match days there will be special tram lines that take you directly to Rheinenergie-Stadion. Otherwise you have to get to "Köln-Neumarkt" and then take tram line 1 (direction Weiden/Schulstr.) and depart at "Köln-Müngersdorf-Rheinenergie-Stadion". Tickets are valid for public transportation on match days, I guess. But check prior to your journey.

http://www.kvb-koeln.de/german/fahrplan/download/liniennetzplan_bahn0604.pdf

7. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks jonam. The FIFA site did say match day tickets would cover public transport.

What's Dortmund like as a City?

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Initially till December but it seems I am getting extended a few more months but this time in Munich.

9. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    If you go to Cologne, make sure you visit Düsseldorf, too. The city is much more interesting than Cologne IMO. It is a bit smaller (Cologne: 1m, Düsseldorf: 600,000), but when you are in the inner city it feels like a real metropolitan..
    Especially if you want to go partying or shopping.

It is about 40km north of Cologne, I would suggest to take a rhine-ferry from Cologne to Düsseldorf, then you arrive right in the inner city.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Don't listen to LordR, he only says these things because Dusseldorf people dislike Cologne because their city is smaller, less fun and their beer is not good ;)

11. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    Have you ever been here?
    Cologne is just a big village filled with idiots. You should pay attention to the huge number of costumized BMWs driving around in the city... ;)

And less fun? Clubbing in Düsseldorf is definetly more fun than in Cologne..

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    You see mrtandy!!
    This is the kind of hatred and scorn the people of Dusseldorf have for Cologne.
    They are JEALOUS! So JEALOUS it pains them to see Cologne is the centre of tourism in the Rheinland. :D

13. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    :eek:

Well, seriously (local rivalries aside), you are the first person i've ever heard of that spends their holidays in Hannover ;).

14. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Stop the thief...he has stolen my thoughts! :)

Hanover=holidays? Sounds like Pittsburgh=sunshine belt!

15. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    First of all....I don't like Alt (Düsseldorf beer) but Koelsch (Cologne beer) stinks. :)

My humble opinion: Düsseldorf's party and beergarden scene is more tourist style. Cologne's night life goes deeper and offers a wider range of clubs, bars etc.

Then again it is easier to go out in Düsseldorf as most of the clubs, bars are within short range.

Maybe it just depends on what you prefer.

p.s.: The city to be is Berlin. Full stop! ;-)

16. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    I for my part really like Düsseldorf as a city...
    The fact that many fans of the Bundesliga that travel with their team to one of the many away games in the area, go and spend the night in Dusseldorf partying, underlines that too imo...
    Plus Alt Beer is the best Beer in the world! No doubt about that... ;)

As I life less than 5 miles from the Waldstadium in Frankfurt, I already ordered tickets for the final. I was gonna go to the Ger-Aus game too, but its already sold out. And since I have a final exam (Abitur) on the day after i think it wouldnt have been a good idea anyways... ;)
    Im looking forward to seeing so many footballfans from so many antions here in Frankfurt tou! Its gonna be a great time!!!

Doc

17. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well the main aim of the Holiday is to see some Football and go to a couple of Stadiums that I haven't been to before. So in that regard Hannover should be fine, the pictures i've seen of the Stadium on Stadionwelt are impresive (unlike my spelling). I'm going somewere else on my proper Holiday.

18. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Oh, sorry. Maybe my and Alex_K's postings sounded like offends. Wasn't supposed to. Hopefully you have fun in Hanover and see some good matches. The stadium itself is quite nice (I'll visit it myself tomorrow for the Cup match H96-BVB).

If you have question regarding the city of Hanover, feel free to ask as surely someone on this board can help you.

19. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No offence taken, I assure you. I just meant to say that i'm not really going for the nightlife. I dare say i'll drink one or two litre's of Hakke-Beck while i'm there though;o)

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Haha yes my father is a fan of Alt, he made the mistake of ordering Alt in Köln and the waiter snapped at him saying "We don't serve that here".

21. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    I love Weizenbier.
    The Waldstadion? Still under construction, and the team in residence is trying it's hardest to get relegated. :D

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I guess it will be alright then ;).

23. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    About Hanover: isn't that bad, would not spend my vacation here if i would not live here though I guess.
    Nightlife. at the weekends of course, in the week won't be that much around, Monday palo maybe, I don#t know when exactly confed cup is to be honest. If Schützenfest or Maschseefest are it will be more partying than in all other cities that size (like Düsseldorf).
    But you have evrything here you need, a lot of nice bars and pubs, shopping is excelent, driving situation and so on are good, and so on.
    What Hotel are you going to be in? What do you want to see regarding cluture and so on?
    btw, imo you should visit Wolfsburg's Autostadt, which would be a 1 hour train ride.
    Be sure, you made the right choice! If you want to know anything just ask!
    (Jonam, do you want to meet after the game? drink a beer or so? ;-) )

24. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Hanover? Who'd want to go there? Only 130km from a proper city like Hamburg. ;)

25. TheFire

TheFire New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    I'd like to go but i still got to figure out all the things to arrange